Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shopping time! New bike

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09

Shopping time! New bike

My first bike was a Suzuki SV650, LAMS.

I'm in the market for another, and quick, because the SUV just isn't the same

I have been very happy with the sv. Love how it handles, how it feels, how it fits.

What similar alternatives are out there?

I'm open to new, demo, used.
    Budget 7-10k (no higher than 10).
    I'm on my Restricted until September this year so has to be LAMS approved (otherwise I'd be getting a full power sv650 now) - I've sat my Full but can't convert it yet.

I'm under 65kg with gear and dripping wet, a smidge under 5'7" - consideration of height/width/weight of bike is important.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    why not just get another one?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    You had me at dripping wet .........

Buy a SV1000 and stick some 650 badges on it.

Sorted.

Be the rebel.

Bike
    A
    Kawasaki Ninja 650 or Versys 650

Honda 500, 3 styles

Another SV650 maybe?

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I went from an SV650S (non LAMS) to a GSX-R600. Have never looked back.

Course, you'd have to wait until September for that...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    ...and yamaha have some middleweight LAMs bikes, MT-07, XSR700, and a couple of 4s if that’s your bag (talking new here).

Personally (and I’m completely biased) I’d go for this Honda NC750S - but being over the cc limit it’s technically not LAMS even though it qualifies on the power to weight side of things (you could try arguing this with the cops if they ever pulled you up ), plus I’m not you and it’s a bit of a whale compared to an SV I suspect. Lot’s of storage though

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...8f8f48636b3321
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    XSR 700 has seat height of 810mm, which might be a challenge at 5'7" rider. Rear suspension is a bit interesting to say the least.

Kawasaki has come out with a new Ninja 400 for 2018. That looks a little bit of more power than the old 300. Honda Rebel CMX500 could be an option.

But if you were happy with what you had, just replace it for now like for like.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    XSR 700 has seat height of 810mm, which might be a challenge at 5'7" rider.
    Depends how slim the bike is. My Ducati is 840 (low point on the seat too) but OK because the bike is so slim.

Best sit on em in the shop.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Depends how slim the bike is. My Ducati is 840 (low point on the seat too) but OK because the bike is so slim.

Best sit on em in the shop.
    Actually, MT-07 is 810mm. XSR 700 is 835mm high seat (just looked at my tech specs). Width wise, seat is fairly wide and firm. Foot pegs at traffic lights want to dig into the calf muscles. That might be just how my legs are naturally. Looks good though.

Bike
    KTM
    What are ya gonna be doing on it?

Commuting
    Touring
    Adventure
    Sport

?

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    What are ya gonna be doing on it?

Commuting
    Touring
    Adventure
    Sport
    Dodging cement trucks

?
    you missed one

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    you missed one

It was a truck carrying slabs of concrete, as opposed to a mixer. I shall be parking in the work building from now on.

Regardless, on to the questions...

Very tempted to just get another, but can explore other options. Didn't plan to upgrade when I got my full as the sv was tons of fun, but so might something else be and now's my chance to shop around.

The SV is 197kg with a full tank. I had to be very strategic about where I parked and how I was getting out of there. I couldn't get both feet flat on the ground, even though it is low and slim. I was f*cked if I ever unbalanced it... The most hilarious/embarrassing was tipping it onto the fence at my previous flat, at a standstill, and having to call my flatmate to help me because I was pinned and couldn't push it back up on the sloping driveway.

Commuting - less than 2kms to work now, but 300kms to/and from Hamilton most weekends. Was doing about 500 a week before I moved into my new place, probably 400-450 now.
    I don't get much time for fun stuff but anything I like driving for 500 kms a week is going to be fine for whatever I end up doing in the weekends. Will no doubt take it to fang it around a track at some point.

I'm not driving the Surf for the next 6 months while I wait to convert my Full, the bike actually saves me money (gas, parking, buses, blah blah) as well as time, in Auckland traffic.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    As someone else said, nothing beats sitting on a bike to see if it feels right, before taking it for a test ride.

However if you go to cycle-ergo.com you can get an idea if it is worth having a look at a particular bike. Put in your height, inseam length and other particulars you you'll get an idea of how the bike might fit you...

Bike
    KTM

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Realised I could get a cheap and cheerful bike to get me through the next 6 months then get a full power version in September. Something in the 5000-sort of range, not too old or decrepit, but something that would hold better resale value.
    I'd put 6000kms on it so makes sense to get something that someone else has taken the depreciation hit on.

Choices, choices.

Thread Information