Thread: Suggestions for first bike for female rider

Bike
    None yet

Suggestions for first bike for female rider

Female 5,8 not going to say how much I weigh , but not petite.
    I have some riding experience , but that was 10 years ago. Haven’t been on a bike since . Will be taking lessons and spending lots of time in the countdown carpark .
    Needing to travel from Auckland Uni to Westmere during weekdays . Then weekend riding.
    I will be spending $1500 on safety gear , so would like to spend total 10k.
    The bikes I grew up around we’re all Harley’s and Triumphs , and some Nortons. Would feel odd not getting one myself . But open to suggestions as that was 30 years ago .
    Tia

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Kawasaki ER6nhttp://www.kawasaki.co.nz/catalog/streetbikes/sports/ER650FDSW/overview - new would blow the budget but should be used ones around
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Wifebetty View Post
    Female 5,8 not going to say how much I weigh , but not petite.
    I have some riding experience , but that was 10 years ago. Haven’t been on a bike since . Will be taking lessons and spending lots of time in the countdown carpark .
    Needing to travel from Auckland Uni to Westmere during weekdays . Then weekend riding.
    I will be spending $1500 on safety gear , so would like to spend total 10k.
    The bikes I grew up around we’re all Harley’s and Triumphs , and some Nortons. Would feel odd not getting one myself . But open to suggestions as that was 30 years ago .
    Tia
    my personal view is that the best LAMS bike is the 660cc Triumph Street TRiple. A new one is out of your budget at $13k but there are secondhand ones. my brother in law has one and it goes pretty well. Not as well as my Street Triple R but surprisingly well for what it is.

last year for a couple of months I rode a Harley Davidson Street 500 for a couple of months. It was a fun and surprisingly capable little bike. it kind of changed my opinion of Harleys to be honest - I'd always thought they were overweight overpriced underperforming pieces of shit. To a certain extent thats true but they are charming. So much so I have now ridden a bunch of different bikes in their range and liked all of them as being good at what they do. brand spankers the street 500 is $11k.

What style of bike do you want and how long is your inseam? For example: I simply cannot ride any ADV bike because they are too tall, I am too old and my back is too dodgy.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    XSR700 is my fave LAMS bike at the moment.

Closely followed by the MT07.

And the CB500.

It's a question of budget. The more you spend the less likely you'll want to upgrade in 6 months.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...HDC's, GS550...

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    XSR700 is my fave LAMS bike at the moment.

Closely followed by the MT07.

And the CB500.

It's a question of budget. The more you spend the less likely you'll want to upgrade in 6 months.
    I'd recommend a BMW G310R/GS but it's technically Indian, not a genuine BMW so...

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    If you can get a Kawasaki W650, within your budget, that is by far the best of the rest. I am presently saving for a new W800, as a forever bike. If you are nostalgic over marques, get a Triumph, as above

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    What!? No one has suggested a Hayabusa yet. Incredible. This is not the KB of old!
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Yep. ER6n. GS500, Gladius.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Don't know if they're available in NZ, but Kawasaki have just announced their 400 Dominar, a rebadged Indian Bajaj. I think they've partnered up with them. Getting good reviews and priced right. Comparing them to the Duke 390, but about P100,000, NZ$250-300 cheaper.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    You get a almost new CB500FA for that.

W650 is a nice simple ride that will remind you of a Triumph without the issues. They hold their value though - $6-7k for a ten year old one.

Alternatively look at something cheaper to get back into it and flick it off when you upgrade.

How much did you say you weighed?

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Pretty much all 250cc or greater LAMs bikes will do what you require, so I'd recommend trying a few and seeing what works for you. I'm the same height as you, and it's no problem finding a bike that'll fit you, and will do what you want of it.

Even a Ninja 300,or something of that ilk will do your commute without fuss, and with plenty of power in reserve. I'd recommend trying lots of bikes and seeing what works best for you.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Get a Royal Enfield.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    If you can get a Kawasaki W650, within your budget, that is by far the best of the rest. I am presently saving for a new W800, as a forever bike. If you are nostalgic over marques, get a Triumph, as above
    theres one on tardme for seven large.https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sea...estedCategory=
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Get a Royal Enfield.
    Not as silly as it sounds. Those things are cool even when sitting in their crate.

Thread Information