Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shiny Side Up Bike Fest Wellington (Kapiti) 25th February 2018

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by riffer View Post
    I can recommend coming along and hearing Kevin Williams presentation of the Science of Being Seen. He points out where high-viz is of use, and where it is not. It is useful is a small amount of situations. I'm not gonna post spoilers here though.
    Awww...will try to get there.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    suzuki

Sorry that somebody at ACC decided to spend a bit of money on Facebook trying to get the message across.
    no complaints with them doing something, and when i contacted ride forever they took my comments on board nicely and followed it up.
    we see shit adds (and this isn't one) for road safety on tv jammed down our throats so often that people just shut off to it, that's what i was trying to allude to..

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    no complaints with them doing something, and when i contacted ride forever they took my comments on board nicely and followed it up.
    we see shit adds (and this isn't one) for road safety on tv jammed down our throats so often that people just shut off to it, that's what i was trying to allude to..
    Cheers for that Spyda. Its always a risk with any type of advertising. When I came up with the idea with Dave Keilty (in Wellington hospital, of all shortly after the accident) we talked about the effect of saturation advertising. It's tough, getting motorcyclists interested in the idea that they could get hurt doing what they love, and that they could look into training to make a difference in that eventuality.

Everybody thinks they're a pretty good rider, and that accidents happen to idiots, retards, and tourists. It's a pretty sobering reality, learning that accidents happen to everyday joes doing things pretty much right. It was my hope in making the advertisement that people would look at my story and think "well, he looks like a pretty normal guy, and something shitty happened to him, and thanks to the rider training he had, he made it through in a situation that probably he shouldn't have."

I'mm interested in what people think about those sort of adverts. If you watched it all the way through, if it felt real, believable, if it made you wonder about whether there was any benefit in rider training, if rider training actually applied to you. It's the sort of thing that Facebook advertising doesn't really give you much feedback on. That's why events like Shiny Side Up and websites like this one, where you can actually talk to people like yourself are so important.

Thanks for the feedback mate.

Simon
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    And hey thanks to all those people who came along to Shiny Side Up Kapiti. I haven't seen the numbers yet, but it was huge compared to Nelson and Hamilton, and we have Auckland this week.

One thing I have discovered, is how reserved Kiwis really are when it comes to asking questions of people who've had big accidents and come through them. If any of you guys are coming along to Shiny Side Up Auckland this Sunday, I'd really like to have some good questions to answer. I don't even mind if they are gory ones.

And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

Bike
    Various things
    It was my hope in making the advertisement that people would look at my story and think "well, he looks like a pretty normal guy,
    Looks like a *normal guy*. Lol. Anything but mate!!

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Looks like a *normal guy*. Lol. Anything but mate!!
    Stop! it Crahser, his sensabilites will take a fence or a gate, have to say it's a brave move Riffer, but I reckon mostly well received. Keep up the good work mate and hey, keep on keeping on aye.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Indian Scout
    I didn't see you there Simon. It was a big crowd!

Enjoyable time wandering around the stalls and the bikes parked up. All sorts were there.

You have to wonder where all these fat gutted old Codgers struggling to fit into their Harley t-shirt, Harley leather vest with tassels and Harley jacket come from. There must be dozens of shipping containers somewhere storing them, or at least their bikes, just waiting for a chance to squeeze into their Harley merchandise and strut around looking tough. Maybe there should be large mirrors at the entrances to these gatherings so they can see the joke we all see.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    suzuki
    And hey thanks to all those people who came along to Shiny Side Up Kapiti. I haven't seen the numbers yet, but it was huge compared to Nelson and Hamilton, and we have Auckland this week.
    went there to see Randy Mamola, he'd gone, bit dissappointed...
    also impressed with the MSAC team and how they tried to shut down any ideas to improve motorcycling safety, they'd mastered that art, had honestly thought they might have open ears on this.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    went there to see Randy Mamola, he'd gone, bit dissappointed...
    also impressed with the MSAC team and how they tried to shut down any ideas to improve motorcycling safety, they'd mastered that art, had honestly thought they might have open ears on this.
    Yep, heard that one definitely. Stoney is one of my mates - he got personally fired by Gareth Morgan from the MSAC. The nature of the MSAC I fear is it is going to be swallowed up by Death by Committee. I've often wondered if it is the nature of the organisation, or the nature of motorcyclists to get nothing done we can't all agree on the same thing at the same time. Yes I known I'm being politic with that answer. I'd like to try and make a difference there one day so I'm not going to burn any bridges. I would agree with you though that the average biker would find it hard to fit in there - but there are people there committed to making a difference to riders - perhaps the constraints are in the scope of the organisation? I wonder how that could be changed?

I caught Randy. Like a lot of MotoGP riders he's a little fella. I reckon you or I are at least twice his weight. But he's a regular motorcycle fan, and he's just loving being around other motorcycling enthusiasts without all the stress of having to be in a race team at the top of the game.

The Rideforever team are really good to deal with. Dave Keilty has done a great job of building a team of motorcyclists really busting their guts to make a difference. They are behind the Shiny Side Up, along some open minded folk at NZTA. Let's hope they don't all get restructured out of existence.

An interesting thing to note. Not one single Harley Davidson rider came to any safety and training related sessions at the Lounge. I'm scratching my head at that little statistic. I wonder why it is that Harley riders don't need to consider any form of learning? After all, the All Blacks are the best team in the world and they still train and learn like it's going out of business. Other than that glaring exception we had people of all types and motorcycles attended. I just wish people were more ready to ask questions; challenge what was being said; ask for clarification and explanation if they don't quite understand things. Bikers sure can be shy sometimes.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    We didn't make it this year - we are training for a non motorcycle event and needed to fit in a last session or 2 on our mountain bikes (scared myself witless and Vicki just bombs down like the super style queen - gah)...

Anyway - Heading away from the event area we were caught up by 2 guys presumably leaving early... Fuck me no wonder they left early, obviously wasn't their scene at all. Its been a long time since I've seen speeds and hairy shit like that on SH1...

Heading north - everyone seemed to ride well and normally... So maybe it worked...

I will try and attend next time. I have some reservations but will make the effort if we are still riding the ST next year...

Bike

Blah

Riffy, what time, wherabouts here in Dorkland this weekend?
    Please.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    https://www.eventfinda.co.nz/2018/sh...auckland/epsom

google

bugger can’t make it.

Riffer, bikers don’t want to appear soft or stupid.
    saw a scooter plough through a stop sign without looking, only a helmet tee shirt, shorts and jandals.

it spoils the image.

harleys don’t crash or get run into.......

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    https://www.eventfinda.co.nz/2018/sh...auckland/epsom

google

bugger can’t make it.

Riffer, bikers don’t want to appear soft or stupid.
    saw a scooter plough through a stop sign without looking, only a helmet tee shirt, shorts and jandals.

it spoils the image.

harleys don’t crash or get run into.......
    Better than the Busa I saw last night. Passenger had a helmet but it looked like the rider hoped a hoodie would be good enough.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    Better than the Busa I saw last night. Passenger had a helmet but it looked like the rider hoped a hoodie would be good enough.
    Not much better than the rider with the open mask helmet cigerrette hanging out the corner of the mouth, the next night.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Just got home from telling lies to Riffer at the Auckland Shiny Side Up Bike Fest held at the Alexandra Park Raceway around the back in the biggest sealed car park.
    This event was steadily patronised all day, the stunt riders on thier well oiled Harleys did a great job with a slightly misshapened car park area that had them going down hill and uphill in the same manouvre, be it a wheel stand or a rear tyre smokeing doughy. These guys were good to watch and thier skills are exceptional. Good to talk with Chance one of ther riders betwen his stints at stunting, awesome skills guys and the degree of control given the surface was exceptional. As were the skills of the Pilot Bike guys and the Lone Motorcycle Police Officer, as well as that crazy guy on the little bike, corning so hard out with impressive outside leans to get through those cones, all of these riders did themsleves and their skills proud, it was good to watch, hard to do I'm sure.
    Good to see so many of the Motorcycling worlds shops, stores and rider training outfits present, pro ride, pass,rite and ride forever among them, also to see AT, ACC and MCAC all with plenty of people to talk with interested riders.
    Sat in on a safety briefing about the different degrees of protection from abrassion and bursting, depending on the gear you are using and to find out that even the good gear I've spent good money on recently is still only going to keep you and the road seperated for not much more than about 8-17 seconds before you'r gravel grist.
    OK, so non of us expect to crash, but if you do, having the right gear gives you so much more of a chance of getting up and dusting off, instead of spending days,weeks months in hostiapl recovering from severe gravel rash.
    The new gear coming out now and in the near future including airbags and vests with built in automatically deploying air cushions is impressive.
    The serious side of motorcycling was more than adaquetely brought home by the talks of Brittany, Simon and Peter Sowter, their overiding message, look to yourself for most of what is going wrong, you can see what is happening ahead of you, beside you and of course and naturally behind you ( mirrors people) So go out and enjoy your ride, plan to get home safe and keep your speed and road position such that you have the best chance of avoiding an accident before it happens.
    And of course the fact that over 50% of motorcycle accidents only involve a motorcycle and it's rider, means We can help take 50% of the accident statistics off the ledger, if only we could stop that right wrist and keep those eyeballs swiveling.
    I had a good day out and came away happy that I'd attended and shown support and a willingness to listen to the message from people who have been there and experienced that.
    It's not a stick waving message, it's a simple one, ride to the conditions and don't drop your guard, ever.Message.
    Oh an Riff, get a bandit, you'll never regret it.

Thread Information