Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stale Fuel?

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries

Stale Fuel?

So I have not ridden my motobike for a wee while. I understand the fuel goes stale and I was told to put these clip things on but I think I may have been being tricked. Does it really go stale?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bmw.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	335457  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike
    none yet
    I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.
    Made you look

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    How long is a wee while Ducky? Should be absolutely fine up to 6 months I would have thought if not more?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey MD. Noice bike mate.
    if it's not been too long she'll start.
    Ya wanna a semi bike nut to come get you out an about tomorrow then.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    I shall be watching developments and advice with much interest. I too, am not convinced the clips will do the job.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    my little pony
    Wrong clips, clothes pegs work for me.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    So you're putting an electrical current through the fuel tank and NOT expecting an explosion ?

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Fuel going stale is real, it happens. I have had this happen to me.
    WTF are those clips, they look like some kind of BS, I doubt they will do anything to stop fuel going stale.

When I was living in Auckland, I decided to get a motorcycle for getting about in nice weather. When the weather turned wet, I realised that it would be a pain driving in the worse than normal traffic, so I put on wet weather gear and rode the bike. After more than 6 months of choosing not to use the car, I had not bought petrol and what was in the tank was going stale. The car started running like a sack of shit. The solution wasn't any kind of clips attached anywhere, it was to drive the car and burn up that shitty fuel, after buying a tank of fresh fuel it was running OK again. I then sold that car and it wasn't until a few years after leaving Auckland that I got over the trauma of driving a car in Auckland and was able to own a car again.

To solve your problem: put on motorcycle gear, get on bike and go for a ride. As soon as you can, add some fresh petrol to help it run better. Keep riding and burn up that petrol. Get the tank near empty and then add a whole heap of nice fresh petrol.

In future: If the answer isn't "go for a ride on a motorcycle" then you are probably asking the wrong question.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    So you're putting an electrical current through the fuel tank and NOT expecting an explosion ?
    Nearly said somehting very similar, butt! I believe that these BMWubbleyous have a gas tank under the seat, so I deleted that particular comment.
    Ducky dearest are you going out for s pootle today?
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Fuel going stale is real, it happens. If the answer isn't "go for a ride on a motorcycle" then you are probably asking the wrong question.
    Yeah, this!

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    I travel lot for work and have bikes stored overseas. My NZ bikes get stabilizer but not the US / Oz bikes. Because, laziness. And yet, they crank up OK every 6-8 months. As long as the damn' batteries are healthy. I do run them dry though before storage. i.e. shutting off the fuel tap and letting the engine run out of fuel at idle. Maybe a myth but was taught that 46 years ago in carburettor daze :-

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    It seems there is a more serious stale fuel problem in countries that have poor quality fuel. Not sure of the current situation internationally but understand we should be OK. Like the others said, put fresh gas in and go for a ride. Unless it has been years in which case you have a big clean up job and magic clips won't help.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I stored an AC50 at a mates house when I left NZ in 1980, he forgot that I had leaned it on a fence behind his shed, a weedy bush grew up, and around it over a three year period and it disappeared...I came home to visit family after three years away and needing transport went to see if the wee Suzuki was still there...after cutting back the bush and de-spidering it I ran it down his steep driveway to the waiting van I had borrowed to take it home...It was stuck in gear so I let the clutch out hoping this would free the clutch, on the way down the drive...It fired up, blew lots of smoke and I rode it the three or so miles home...that fuel would have been stale...I can only suggest that if the clips don't work, lean it against a bush and throw some spider shit in the tank...should work then...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Clips? What are these clips?

Looks like you have a battery tender hooked up to me, and given it's a BMW the battery could well be there.

Fuel. Yep, packs a sad after 8 or so months.

How long has it been sitting.

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Nearly said somehting very similar, butt! I believe that these BMWubbleyous have a gas tank under the seat, so I deleted that particular comment.
    This of course is correct. Mr BMW put the petrol under the seat. I am not totally stoopid when it comes to where to put the red and black thingies
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information