Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Counter-steering, an unhelpful term

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Not too many grid girls on my rides these days.

Need to make it tighter cornering, when I need to.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Cassina/Axehole bait much?
    You just know that these clowns will turn this thread to shit by the end of tomorrow...
    Lets start now.

Do you counter steer a trials bike?

Which leads too...... Does counter steering still work at slow speeds?

And we come too.... Do moto gymkhana riders counter steer?

Or maybe..... For a laugh. If using a hand signal to indicate turning left on a classic bike, how are you steering?

Don't fix what ain't broken and have a full understanding of motorcycle dynamics.

Just sayin.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Get someone who knows their stuff to show you. Counter steering can be done with gusto but yeah if you get carried away with it, you'll be on your butt.

In a bend you can add some counter steering to tighten the path of the bike, so it helps to know how your bike responds to the push input on the inside bar.
    Yeah, build up the practice.

I've got as far as 3mtrs lateral travel each way (evasion maneuver) for 10 - 15 mtrs traveled forward at 40 - 50kmh. A bit more than counter steering involved and it's quite violent. Great fun, too.

I'm sure this can be improved upon, but I would rather use someone elses bike.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Get someone who knows their stuff to show you. Counter steering can be done with gusto but yeah if you get carried away with it, you'll be on your butt.

In a bend you can add some counter steering to tighten the path of the bike, so it helps to know how your bike responds to the push input on the inside bar.
    ok

i seem to countersteer to make it around the corner as I see it.

but occasionally I need to corner more than current position.
    eg underestimated corner, vehicle or furniture wrong side of road etc.
    the speed isn’t to great, it’s changing position on road I want to improve/work on.

While I do get some good advice I also plan to get more expert advice. Once I get more comfortable riding the bike.
    a couple of thousand k rides did it for the last bike.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    ok

i seem to countersteer to make it around the corner as I see it.

but occasionally I need to corner more than current position.
    eg underestimated corner, vehicle or furniture wrong side of road etc.
    the speed isn’t to great, it’s changing position on road I want to improve/work on.

Planned to get more expert advice sometime when I get more comfortable riding the bike.
    Good starting point is the Ride Forever courses. Best to get some advice first, as doing the right thing will make you more comfortable on the bike.

Apart from counter steering, couple of other ways to tighten up a corner, but that's best taught in situ rather than over a keyboard...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Not planning on a ride forever course.

dont expect keyboard training, just an outline.

i now know it’s ok to push harder, getting over a self imposed limitation, will be difficult, but not impossible. Just time and practise. The path is now visible I just need to ride it, usual story.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Not planning on a ride forever course.

dont expect keyboard training, just an outline.

i now know it’s ok to push harder, getting over a self imposed limitation, will be difficult, but not impossible. Just time and practise. The path is now visible I just need to ride it, usual story.
    I cannot advocate slow speed practice enough, car park training. Counter steering is limited as it is speed dependent but head and body position, throttle and brake control to steer and stand the bike up, pegs, gripping the bike.... it goes on. As the speed increases counter steering has more of an effect but it's not the be all and all of getting around a corner.
    I had to learn all this stuff in the saddle with a trainer beating me with a huge stick, computer said no chance. It's just too weird. Hands on training is the way to go.
    IMHO
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I cannot advocate slow speed practice enough, car park training. Counter steering is limited as it is speed dependent but head and body position, throttle and brake control to steer and stand the bike up, pegs, gripping the bike.... it goes on. As the speed increases counter steering has more of an effect but it's not the be all and all of getting around a corner.
    I had to learn all this stuff in the saddle with a trainer beating me with a huge stick, computer said no chance. It's just too weird. Hands on training is the way to go.
    IMHO
    Agreed.
    i know it’s more than one thing.
    i need that type of training as well as being comfortable on the bike.
    just not yet.
    i already have someone in mind. I am following his advice, to go when I feel comfortable on the bike.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    my little pony
    Going into a corner too hot, hit the picks and the bike stands back up, sending you over the white line, counter steer it back down and follow your intended line. Practice that, when you can put it all together you can go in way hotter.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Cassina/Axehole bait much?
    You just know that these clowns will turn this thread to shit by the end of tomorrow...
    great contribution to the thread!

you're a fuckwit.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    great contribution to the thread!

you're a fuckwit.
    No doubt your boyfriend Cassina will be along any minute, mind you, you follow him so closely that your head is probably up his arse
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    Going into a corner too hot, hit the picks and the bike stands back up, sending you over the white line.
    This doesn't happen very often - going in to hot. More cautious, as I lived in Franklin area for a while and VERY AWARE of dickheads crossing the median.

It is more to do with, the position on the road, I want to be able to modify it.
    It seems that I set a maximum counter steer and that's all.
    I want to be able to adjust my own ability and get an idea of how much further I can trust the bike.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    This doesn't happen very often - going in to hot. More cautious, as I lived in Franklin area for a while and VERY AWARE of dickheads crossing the median.

It is more to do with, the position on the road, I want to be able to modify it.
    It seems that I set a maximum counter steer and that's all.
    I want to be able to adjust my own ability and get an idea of how much further I can trust the bike.
    You need to take the right line for the bend. If you are ending up on the wrong side of the road, you are turning in too early. Counter steering won't help you if your speed and line are wrong. All that will happen is that your corrective counter-steer will cause a low-side and down you go.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750 SD 2007 Buell XB12Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    There's more to this issue than the term. The technique itself is counter-intuitive ... which means thinking consciously about what we're doing can be more of a hindrance than a help.

Brain biology is such that rational, conscious thought is a relatively slow process compared to instinctive/subconscious thought, and slower still compared to reflexes. In moments of life-or-death crisis, you don't want to be mentally ticking a checklist, reciting some trite acronym or risk-assessing your options.

Soooo (with respect) it's a technique better learnt by individuals through practice and experience, rather than teachers/trainers and classes ... but maybe there is a need to kick-start the learning process? Actually, I'm not even sure about that: has anyone been taught to countersteer a bicycle? It's the same principle. And yet, without it being pointed out, most of us manage to ride a bike, admittedly with the odd grazed knee.
    I agree with you to a large extent. If you practice something constantly it will become conditioned reflex. Let's start with the simple message, Push the bar towards the inside of the intended turn. Nothing difficult nor negative about it and soon learned.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750 SD 2007 Buell XB12Ss
    Absolutely. On my Buell I must hold forward pressure on the inside bar when banked more than slightly or the bike will want to stand up.

Thread Information