Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Counter-steering, an unhelpful term

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamA View Post
    By now almost everyone riding a bike must know about so called COUNTER-STEERING unless they're an absolute novice. Most others will also know how it works and why. A few might even know how it got the name. Many more, but not everyone, will know that we all do it all the time whether we realise it or not or our bikes wouldn't start to turn, even the ones which require you only to think, turn, to start the turn and it'll do it.

I prefer to call the phenomenon PUSH-STEERING, because it's what we really are doing. I want to turn to the left so I push forward on the left 'bar. For right it's the opposite. Even after riding for so long I still do it consciously whenever I want to initiate a rapid change of direction and just before coming to a complete stop so that the bike will cant slightly towards the foot I intend to put on the ground.
    How about this: We don't actually steer the bike, we use the bar inputs to control the lean angle and then the bike steers itself. If you need to turn harder then you make the bike lean over more and it will turn harder. Not that you need to consciously think about this.

Anyone that rides a bicycle or motorcycle automatically does the right thing to make it steer. The example posted (with scary video) of the biker not turning the right way has nothing to do with not counter-steering, it is an example of target fixation - the rider should have focused on the gap and aimed for it instead of focusing on the obstacle and panicking. Saying that he should have cognitively understood counter steering is absolute nonsense, he didn't have time to think anyway, his instinctive reactions were not correctly trained.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    How about this: We don't actually steer the bike, we use the bar inputs to control the lean angle and then the bike steers itself. If you need to turn harder then you make the bike lean over more and it will turn harder. Not that you need to consciously think about this.
    Yes this is pretty much what happens. I think that riding a push bike and a motor bike are slightly different. Most of us learn on push bikes where our weight is comparable to the bike weight and so weight shifting causes the bike to turn with little input to the bars. A motor bike is much heavier and at any speed it is difficult to use weight alone to steer so some bar input is needed, as you said it is pretty automatic. All you have to do is get the bike slightly off balance and the trail does the rest. Flipping the bike left to right quickly though needs quite a bit of levering on the bars and probably has to be learned.

Cheers

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750 SD 2007 Buell XB12Ss
    I started this thread to put forward the idea of calling counter-steering push-steering but it has grown into a discussion on all sorts of aspects of how bikes are steered. Whatever it's called, all we do when we push on a bar is to initiate a bank. After that, many bikes will follow a curving path on their own, but some, like my Buell require the pressure to be maintained to prevent the bike standing up and running straight.

Yes, we all steer mostly un-consciously but when a situation demands it a firm push on a bar is far more effective.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    I started this thread to put forward the idea of calling counter-steering push-steering but it has grown into a discussion on all sorts of aspects of how bikes are steered. Whatever it's called, all we do when we push on a bar is to initiate a bank. After that, many bikes will follow a curving path on their own, but some, like my Buell require the pressure to be maintained to prevent the bike standing up and running straight.

Yes, we all steer mostly un-consciously but when a situation demands it a firm push on a bar is far more effective.
    Counter-steering is what it is and what it's called.

It's equally 'Pull-Steering' as it is 'Push-Steering', but you are free to call it whatever you like. Don't be disappointed if you fail to get global acknowledgement and I wouldn't waste too much time and money on buying the domain names, to sell on

Quite an infantile thread really

Bike
    It was on the good
    I started this thread to put forward the idea of calling counter-steering push-steering
    I think we should call braking 'retardation' however I don't think it would work given some of the 'brakes' on KB.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.

I hear ya. My post was not a shot at your topic, just tongue in cheek. Whatever you feel like calling it, it still needs to be explained how the the physics work.

I've never ridden a Buell but it still has the same characteristics as other bikes but in different measures. That's why I mentioned trials bikes, you have to steer with the footrests, the handlebars are for attaching things too and controlling wheelies.

All moving bikes stand up without rider input.

Manopausal.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...Anything Could Happen In The Next Half Hour...Roger That...THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Wheelies should be called motorcycle erections.

I like braking being retardation as mentioned earlier.

If braking while doing a wheelie you have a retarded erection.

A surprise wheelie would clearly be a premature erection.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Wheelies should be called motorcycle erections.

If braking while doing a wheelie you have a retarded erection.

A surprise wheelie would clearly be a premature erection.
    Quite often i have to retard a premature erection. Which is a shame. I would like to keep it up for longer.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Quite often i have to retard a premature erection. Which is a shame. I would like to keep it up for longer.
    Possibly a little of the OP's 'push-pull' could help with keeping it up?

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    So does that make acceleration counterbraking?

Or am I retarded?

Bike
    R100GSPD
    even if you are going below the speed that you dont need to steer the bike you can still use counter steering to transition from one side to the other.You dont tend to counter steer trials bike becuase you are ussually going below that speed where you dont need to "steer"

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    So does that make acceleration counterbraking?
    Hmm - it would be counter-retardation. Thus not being a retard so this must mean acceleration is good (but not past buses - that is retarded).

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    By now almost everyone riding a bike must know about so called COUNTER-STEERING unless they're an absolute novice.
    I prefer to call the phenomenon PUSH-STEERING, because it's what we really are doing. I want to turn to the left so I push forward on the left 'bar. For right it's the opposite.
    Tell Keith Code, he might rewrite his books for you? Todays modern day crap does my head in. Another panadol please

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    Quiet plodder

Sorry if you think I have derailed your OP.

was trying to expand my knowledge about how far this method of steering can go.

its that being able to commit to that extra, firm push I don’t currently have.

myself I Prefer push steering, but countersteer is easier to identify with

READ AND UDESTAND

Thread Information