Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Counter-steering, an unhelpful term

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    Never got to Aranui but I did see that long track at Addington.
    Aranui had a pretty short life but it's where Mauger, Moore, & Briggs all cut their teeth as young fellas
    It was a proper cinder track circuit and came about after the demise of Monica Park in the late 30s. It was on Rowan Ave just off Pages Rd

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    Never got to Aranui but I did see that long track at Addington.

Cheers

...my aunties house in Aranui was built around about the same place as the start/finish line...my first outing on my XV750 Yammy flat tracker was there (Addington)...as it transpired, I had a bit of a problem with set up, I only finished building it the day before and the only test was a quick lap or two in a big stony paddock out my way the evening before...it was well set up by Ascot Park and I can say without a second thought, that those two meetings that Mauger put on in Invercargill were the best motorcycle racing memories of my life...a sad memory now as one of my bestest buddies who was shadowing me with a meter separation and rooster tails 30 feet long didn't wake up a couple of weeks ago...cherished memories now even moreso...

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Is that your 2 brain cells??
    . . Just Looks like a counter steer to me. Too much thinking I think, just lean on the bars and you'll make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRFkgWuM40

Oreti Park Speedway is very well run due to diehard volunteer help and spectator support. Yes more riders needed but it is a money sport, some of the peewees are developing into great riders as they move up the bikes to 80cc, 125, 250's.
    I may be wrong on this but the dearly loved longtrack at the Ascot went like the Burt Munro Street Race where little old ladies complained bitterly about the smell of av gas coming over their fences ??
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    . . Just Looks like a counter steer to me. Too much thinking I think, just lean on the bars and you'll make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRFkgWuM40

Oreti Park Speedway is very well run due to diehard volunteer help and spectator support. Yes more riders needed but it is a money sport, some of the peewees are developing into great riders as they move up the bikes to 80cc, 125, 250's.
    I may be wrong on this but the dearly loved longtrack at the Ascot went like the Burt Munro Street Race where little old ladies complained bitterly about the smell of av gas coming over their fences ??
    probably thought it was Burt burning his lawns before heading off back to bonnie.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    i doubt you have the IQ to play insults with me.
    I have more than . .

You really are up yourself aren't you

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Yup.

So what's the correct term for controlling the direction of travel using the rear wheel under power?

Bearing in mind, the only time we have control of a bike is under power. The rest of the time we manage (guide?) the bike.
    Throttle steering.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    Throttle steering.
    Yeah Boi! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beach racing.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	736.9 KB 
ID:	335604

Bike
    husaberg
    Throttle steering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    I have more than . .

You really are up yourself aren't you
    oooh. such wit. that one cut straight to the bone.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamA View Post
    Give it a try.
    Is 'counter steering' actually something you can't not do even sub consciously to a certain degree? Would be interested to hear an instructors take on it.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Is 'counter steering' actually something you can't not do even sub consciously to a certain degree? Would be interested to hear an instructors take on it.
    I wouldn't know the answer to that one, but I do know that when I took up riding again after some years, I had never heard of counter steering. After attending a Ride Safe Ride Right course where it was explained to me, I tried it on some twisties near where I lived and the difference was unbelievable!

I may have been doing it unconsciously before, but after doing it deliberately made a huge difference!
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    I wouldn't know the answer to that one, but I do know that when I took up riding again after some years, I had never heard of counter steering. After attending a Ride Safe Ride Right course where it was explained to me, I tried it on some twisties near where I lived and the difference was unbelievable!

I may have been doing it unconsciously before, but after doing it deliberately made a huge difference!
    yeah the chaslands a good training ground

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    yeah the chaslands a good training ground
    So good that I often rode past home to the end of the road for a bit of 'extra training'!

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Motorcycle dynamics would make a great masters degree topic. It's that complex.

That's why we stick to the basics on courses. Until someone has a deep understanding of motorcycle dynamics ( I don't) the advanced stuff is like black magic.

We dont talk about counter steering on Ride Forever courses. It opens too many cans of worms.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Until someone has a deep understanding of motorcycle dynamics ( I don't) the advanced stuff is like black magic.

We dont talk about counter steering on Ride Forever courses. It opens too many cans of worms.
    It's not rocket science mate.

Thread Information