Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V4 Ducati

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries

V4 Ducati

First ride reports are coming in the magazines. All razz-city.

214hp, a electronics package a 2 year old MotoGP bike would dream of.

Is it a game changer bike?

For Ducati, yes given the change to more than 2 pistons.

My local dealer has orders. There is a demand.

I have a old book that is titled something like 'Motorcycle Superbikes' - it features off the shop floor 150hp bikes - circa GPZ900r era. It asks the question how much is too much?

I remember absolutes decades ago some 'gentlemans' agreement between motorcycle makers with a hp ceiling (I cannot remember what this unspoken number was) - theory was if they started exceeding this the-powers that-be would start to regulate by law. Apparently not.

I find it refreshing in this cotton-wool covered world that car and motorcycle makers are still pushing road legal boundaries for ultimate power figures. Two fingers towards the electric world before it kills off the internal combustion engine.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I recall about 1990 in Europe when the BMW K1 came out that they agreed on 100 HP?, seemed rather a lot at the time, but that was manually operated brakes and traction control.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

Is it a game changer bike?

For Ducati, yes given the change to more than 2 pistons.

Ducati previously sold parralel twins singles, in the late 60's a Bevel V4 prototype as well as a Pantah V4 prototype in the 70's.
    Moto gp success has legitimised the layout for Ducati, but some might say they should stick to their tried and true formula
    Time will tell......if they don't sell well expect a limited edition Stoner Special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    .if they don't sell well expect a limited edition Stoner Special.
    Already three versions. The top line tri-colour one (great graphics) is stupidly priced over the other two to the point I fail to see why anyone would shell out for it as the goodies are pretty much cosmetic. FFS any decent graphics company could cut and apply some stick on graphics for under a grand.

Still - they will sell. Wait for the limited number editions when they win MotoGP 2018.

Side note - sans plastic they look very clean - someone has spend a lot of time and effort keeping them that tidy. Late 2018 release of a 2019 naked version is my prediction.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Ducati previously sold parralel twins singles, in the late 60's a Bevel V4 prototype.
    Ducati Apollo - Ducatis stab at taking the US cop bike market from HD. Too much engine for the tires that the police insisted their bikes use.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Ducati Apollo - Ducatis stab at taking the US cop bike market from HD. Too much engine for the tires that the police insisted their bikes use.
    Yip here is both the Apollo plus the Bipantah
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DUCATI-APOLLO-1270-V4.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	335500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50981584bipantah_01.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	335499
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I recall about 1990 in Europe when the BMW K1 came out that they agreed on 100 HP?, seemed rather a lot at the time, but that was manually operated brakes and traction control.
    An EU proposal made by a Herr Bangerman. Knocked into touch by Margaret Thatcher, no less.

I believe the Japanese manufacturers has a "gentleman's agreement" with the 200hp limit. This was before engine modes, traction control, wheelie control etc. I guess since the tech has caught up manufacturers feel more confident in adding performance.

I've watched a few vids of the V4 press release. Not often you see youtube journos laying rubber into and out of a corner with a lot of lock...

Bless Ducati IMHO, someone has to lead the way.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post

I've watched a few vids of the V4 press release. Not often you see youtube journos laying rubber into and out of a corner with a lot of lock...

Bless Ducati IMHO, someone has to lead the way.
    Apparently a easy to use electronic package (that would be a first from a Euro ride) and you can dial in just about anything you desire including adjusting the electronics to the rear wheel separate from the front. Turn off or reduce rear TC but keep the computer watching the front ends grip. VW lending a helping hand to their two wheeled brother?

Everyone will be on catch-up for the next 12 months.

I have expected Honda to dazzle the world last year or this with a amazing electronics package since the CBR had been the last to adopt a current set-up. Nah. Missed it again. They have the ability as their cars are electronic to the 10th.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Got the March 2018 Performance Bikes on Friday. (now the only bike mag I subscribe to after 30+ years of Cycle and Cycle World). There is a multi page rant about it. Chris Newbigging is completely frothing about it.... no price mentioned.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I have expected Honda to dazzle the world last year or this with a amazing electronics package since the CBR had been the last to adopt a current set-up. Nah. Missed it again. They have the ability as their cars are electronic to the 10th.
    I am fucking embarrassed for Honda, and HRC. First they try to kill John McGuinness then Guy Martin and the piece of shit is still a dog a year later. The new GSXR came out and was immediately competitive with the class leading Bimmer. Fucking slack.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Don't forget the Kawasaki thing that has ridiculolus power.....

Myself... I'm already thinking along the lines of my next new bike might be the last with the way the carbonazis are pushing to ban everything... even if petrol powered stuff still around it will be taxed to death/unaffordable etc....
    So manufacturers do need to pull out all the stops to cashup on exisiting technology and tooling...

Also high power cars are now more affordable/accessible so if your the person that has to outdo your mates or traffic light grand prix you need every horsepower you can get....

Was looking at a ZX10 at Paeroa... ridiculously small for so much power.....

Kinda related... panigale project bike series been watching on youtube...

Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Various things
    I remember absolutes decades ago some 'gentlemans' agreement between motorcycle makers with a hp ceiling (I cannot remember what this unspoken number was) - t.
    It was a gentlemans agreement on top speed.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    It was a gentlemans agreement on top speed.
    He might have confused with Japanese gentleman's agreement with 206kw/276hp limit.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Don't forget the Kawasaki thing that has ridiculolus power.....

Kinda related... panigale project bike series been watching on youtube...

she has spectacular titties

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    she has spectacular titties
    Agreed
    Cheers

Merv

Thread Information