Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boots

Bike
    Yes

Boots

Ok, here we go, i know i'll get grief for this but onwards....

I'm a vegan, therefore i do not wear leather. Anyone here wear non leather biking boots, and if so do you rate/recommend them? I am after a casual style not a racing, off road style.

Alternatively, I have synthetic steel safety boots lace up from work that I wear at the moment, and I have a good pair of sturdy walking boots. Both of these are lace up and come up above the ankle so have good support.

Is there a reason one should wear motorbike specific boots or will my current footwear do a good job ? interested in peoples thoughts,

cheers

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by globe View Post
    I'm a vegan, therefore i do not wear leather.
    Don't Latte put out leather??

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    A
    If you look closely at what bike boots are made of, most of it is synthetic stuff anyway.

And yes you're better off wearing boots meant for biking, flexible in the right places and strong in the right places.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Don’t have any idea about non leather boots but....

will depend on what style of off-road you want to do.

protection of Achilles, ankle, chalk, heel etc are all important.
    and so is walking.

Being a vegan shouldn't mean that you can’t check out the local shops for different styles/options then find one suitable for your views.

gortex is handy.
    Last edited by eldog; 26th February 2018 at 06:28. Reason: n't

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Most road/off road/touring boots will have some leather. You don't want race style boots but some of the race boots are all plastic. You may find what you want but you're making it hard for yourself.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    suzuki

so where do you ride then, all the roads have cruely taken away a substantial amount of grazing area from the cows who make the leather, so it would by wrong to use those, plus anytime you saw a dead animal you would undoubtedly have to have counselling.
    how did you get on finding a helmet with a leatherless strap?

Bike
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    so where do you ride then, all the roads have cruely taken away a substantial amount of grazing area from the cows who make the leather, so it would by wrong to use those, plus anytime you saw a dead animal you would undoubtedly have to have counselling.
    how did you get on finding a helmet with a leatherless strap?

Zzzzzzzzzz. I’m not going to defend my view I don’t need to, it’s a decision I’ve taken, at least you’ve got that off your chest. it sounds your unable to help so thanks for your contribution, interesting points but for a different conversation. Cheers 👍

Bike
    suzuki

Is there a reason one should wear motorbike specific boots or will my current footwear do a good job ? interested in peoples thoughts,

cheers
    you did expect it! bike boots offer crash protection, ankle abrasion protection, even just to hold a smashed foot together is one of their jobs (even better for you as don't like the sight of meat)
    also they are taller so you don't get that wet patch where the trousers run out before the footwear starts.
    most shit has details on what it's made from, or you may find it on the internaughty but don't google wet patch, it might be a little disturbing

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Most people think Vegans are cunts. You should have said you were allergic to leather, you'd get less ridicule.

I also think Vegans are cunts, but ill put that aside long enough to say:

from this website:
    https://www.thoughtco.com/is-there-n...s-vegan-127588

an extract:

Tires, rubber, paint, glue, and plastics: Because these are not foods, we are not entitled to know what ingredients go into our tires and other rubber and plastic products. These often contain chemicals and additives of animal origins. Along these lines, paint, glue and other chemicals often contain animal products. Shellac, as explained above, comes from insects.

My point is, it's all very well to want to live by a moral ideology, but realistically, youre probably relying on and using animal products daily in way you don't even realise - perhaps for the sake of a quality boot, that will likely last you more than a decade, you should make the small sacrifice to your ideology for the sake of safety?
    Bike boots are made for a very specific purpose - ask anyone who races and has crashed how they felt with their appropriate boots, vs how theyd feel with non motorcycle specific alternatives.

You could go for one of the all plastic race style boots if youre prepared to make a sacrifice on style?

Or maybe you could design your own vegan boots,and get some 8 year old chinese kids to make them for $1 a day - youll profit, and no animals were harmed.

Bike
    2009 CBR1000RR

Take your sanctimonious attitude and gtfo of here.....

Bike
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    Most people think Vegans are cunts. You should have said you were allergic to leather, you'd get less ridicule.
    Why? I’m not ashamed of my stance, I’ve had shit like this for 20 years, water off a ducks back mate.

But you in relation to your view on vegans as Roy Chubby Brown once said “you are what you eat”. Guess that also makes you a prick

Bike
    2009 CBR1000RR
    Why do the vast majority of Vegans feel the need to push their sanctimonious eating habits / life styles upon meat eaters?

EVERYBODY on this planet is a hypocrite, end of story, so lets just accept that fact, move on, respect otherschoices, and don't force them upon anybody else.

Bike
    suzuki
    Why? I’m not ashamed of my stance, I’ve had shit like this for 20 years, water off a ducks back mate.
    what does the duck think of this, exploiting an animal it seems?

Bike
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    what does the duck think of this, exploiting an animal it seems?

Bike
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pound View Post
    Why do the vast majority of Vegans feel the need to push their sanctimonious eating habits / life styles upon meat eaters
    No idea mate, me? I try not to cos it winds people up. I also ask why people find the need to question my stance and try and make something outta nothing, but like I said after all this time you just roll with it, roll your eyes and move on. So yup I agree, you do what you feel is right and he happy that you’re being true to yourself, Peace

Thread Information