Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear Shift Lever for R1200GS

Bike
    2007 BMW R1200GS

Gear Shift Lever for R1200GS

Hi guys,

Benny here. Sorry to barge in with my first post being a question. But I am a bit desperate. Broke my gear shift lever on my BMW R1200GS 2007 yesterday and look for a replacement. BMW wants to charge me $200 for the original lever. Really? It is a "cheap" aluminium cast part.

Anyone has any ideas of a Plan B? The weather is great and I don't want my bike being out of order for too long.

Thanks

Benny

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    No luck with the good ol' eBay? https://www.ebay.com.au/i/112487271113?chn=ps

Bike
    2007 BMW R1200GS
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    No luck with the good ol' eBay? https://www.ebay.com.au/i/112487271113?chn=ps
    Cheers mate, a lovely part and a great price. Sadly not suitable for my old lady. But yes, I had a look at Ebay and actually found two of them. I was hoping to get one in NZ and have it here before the weekend. I contacted touratech NZ (motomart) who have a new one in their range which is adjustable and cost around $150. Still $50 cheaper than the original one. But they can't tell me if they have one in stock. It seems the person who deals with this is away and I am somewhat surprised that nobody else is able to check the computer and see if they have one in stock. Or look on the shelf.

So I will have to bite the bullet and get this one https://goo.gl/dgx137 on ebay.

Thanks for the help.

Benny

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    In terms of BMW parts, 2nd hand stuff you're well out of luck in NZ. Motobins or Motorworks in the UK, or Ebay UK/USA are your best bets...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Can nothing be done with the broken parts? Is it really beyond salvage?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2007 BMW R1200GS
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Can nothing be done with the broken parts? Is it really beyond salvage?
    well I am not a welder or engineer but I have my doubts. First, the material is cast aluminium. Not sure if you can weld it. The tip is bend 90 degrees and broke off.

Maybe I could take it to the local engineering shop. See what they think.

What also fascinates me with the BMW is the exotic selection of fasteners and bolts etc. The gear shift lever is secured with an E-Torx. Of course I don't have a wrench for it. I looked over the bike and it seems to be the only E-torx I can see. So why chose this type of bolt? But maybe it isn't original, not sure.

Thanks for all your contributions.

Benny

Bike
    2007 BMW R1200GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    In terms of BMW parts, 2nd hand stuff you're well out of luck in NZ. Motobins or Motorworks in the UK, or Ebay UK/USA are your best bets...
    Yepp that's sadly the case. As I said, BMW NZ got back to me saying there is one Gear Shift Lever in stock in all NZ and it'll cost me $200. Compare this to the Touratech adjustable one available in NZ for $156. If I only could find out if it is in stock or not. Web page says delivery in 3 months. Doh!

Since I am German and still have connections over there I often order parts from there. Which is cheaper even if I add the shipping cost on top. BMW NZ quoted me 6 weeks shipping cost in one occasion and I ended up buying the parts from a German dealer at a lower cost and I had them here in 10 days.

Don't get e wrong, I am not whinging here. If you buy a BMW you are aware of the situation (or soon learn about it). I factored that in when I decided to buy the bike. But it still sometimes surprises me.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    just drill a hole in the end and put a bolt through it!Tape it up if you want to protect your boot from the thread.Then you can shop at your leaisure!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BeemerBenny View Post
    What also fascinates me with the BMW is the exotic selection of fasteners and bolts etc. The gear shift lever is secured with an E-Torx. Of course I don't have a wrench for it. I looked over the bike and it seems to be the only E-torx I can see. So why chose this type of bolt? But maybe it isn't original, not sure.
    The handlebar clamp is also e-torx, usually 2 different sizes just for extra giggles (puzzled the fuck out of me the first few times) so you get to carry 3 e-torx...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    well I am not a welder or engineer but I have my doubts. First, the material is cast aluminium. Not sure if you can weld it. The tip is bend 90 degrees and broke off.

Benny
    Probably forged rather than cast. (It bent a way before it snapped. Cast would snap a lot sooner) The idea of putting a bolt through is a good workaround. But certainly take it to an engineering shop.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    suzuki
    why don't you post a query with the BMW owners club, although the way it looks like you look after your bike one suspects they'll shoot ya?

Bike
    motocompo

Maybe I could take it to the local engineering shop. See what they think.

Benny
    Regular metric sockets fit the torx bolts just fine.

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500

Bike
    2007 BMW R1200GS
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    why don't you post a query with the BMW owners club, although the way it looks like you look after your bike one suspects they'll shoot ya?
    Could you please elaborate?

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Just a thought...

does the gear shifter have to be a BMW part?

Perhaps you might find a non-BMW part that fits the shaft and does the job...

Thread Information