Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycle Lane Enforcement

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    If you are not supposed to be there ... the motor vehicle operators do not expect you to be there ... and wont look for you there.

If car parking is permitted to the inside of the cycle lane ... car doors opening can be expected. Best you leave that hazard to the cyclists and save that clear space to avoid hitting doors.

Ah, the door zone. There's a topic on its' own.

We tell people not to ride their motorbikes within 2 metres of a parked car. That's the door zone, where some plonker will throw their door open into your face without looking.

That's where we expect cyclists to ride.................

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    ... That's where we expect cyclists to ride.................
    Did that issue ever occur to the wise person(s) that instigated the whole "Bike Lane" thing ... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Ah, the door zone. There's a topic on its' own.
    I learned to check that on the push bike also did it on the moped at times, not so much on the bike.

There was a lawyer doored a female cyclist, she was seriously hurt, it cost him ten grand or thereabout. The judge must've been a cyclist?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Did that issue ever occur to the wise person(s) that instigated the whole "Bike Lane" thing ... ???
    Knowing people in the field that plan that sort of thing, it very much did. Pretty much all the bike lanes that end up like that were because they couldn't get anything better without people kicking up a fuss about mah parking.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    Knowing people in the field that plan that sort of thing, it very much did. Pretty much all the bike lanes that end up like that were because they couldn't get anything better without people kicking up a fuss about mah parking.
    And still claim they are working with the best interest of the cyclists in mind.

But ... it's that or nothing.

And individual selfishness in all groups cause the resulting (before mentioned) problems.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing

The speed limit is not a God given right.
    of course its not a god given right, we all know its a target to be met and surpassed

Bike
    R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Simply because of them wobbling about in groups and failing to obey what little laws affect them (No more than 2 abreast, single file when passing a parked car, etc).
    Simple shit really.
    Sounds like a poker run...

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Your frustration is born from the expectation that you have an entitlement to travel at the speed limit all the time.

Having to slow down is just life. Things happen. Kids kick balls out onto the road. Cyclists ride, sometimes inconsiderately. Some drivers want to go slow, unlawfully if they are impeding traffic.

The speed limit is not a God given right.

Not frustrated Rastuscat, I just think it is irresponsible of cyclists to continue riding two abreast with motorized vehicles banking up behind them, the 1.5 mt safety distance allows you to pass with out using up the entire opposite lane when they are single file, but our narrow roads mean you are getting close to driving on the opposite verge when they steadfastly hold to the two abreast or sometimes 3 when they go on group rides. edit, not talking about passing them on motorcycles.

Bike
    all sorts
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    get cyclists off the road. stupid idiots.
    make them motorcycle lanes.
    what he said
    He who makes a beast out of himself
    Gets rid of the pain of being a man

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I learned to check that on the push bike also did it on the moped at times, not so much on the bike.

There was a lawyer doored a female cyclist, she was seriously hurt, it cost him ten grand or thereabout. The judge must've been a cyclist?

I know someone with a arm that will bother her for the rest of her life due to door v cycle.

It really is not hard to check before opening it.

And F-wits in car parks who throw their doors open into other parked cars.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    what he said
    By default they virtually are motorcycle overtaking lanes, though not legally.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Christchurch City has a camera they use to target cars illegally using bus lanes.

With a flick of a switch, they could use it to target motorcyclists illegally using cycle lanes. I'm not suggesting they will, just that they could.
    What I still don't get is this flick of a switch thing. How are cycle lanes actually enforced in Chch?

Seem to me that it is illegal for motorbikes and cars to use cycle lanes and what ever type of enforcement is used can tell the difference between these two groups and push bikes. I can't work out why a camera that targets illegal cars can't target illegal motorbikes at the same time however it is activated. Seems stupid.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Saw a 6 pack yesterday all lycra clad two abreast wobbling along the cycle lane, albeit legal the ones on the outside were right on the white line, a wide berth required to pass them. IMO they should be single file and also with open road biking. They can run any race as a time race rather than a first past the post.
    The people in the group appeared to be kids, so unlikely they are licenced to drive with a good chance they do not understand the road code or perception of drivers having to navigate past them, perhaps a road test for cyclists, food for thought?
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I take the old BMW or Vespa into town 2-3 times a week.

I can use the bus lane from Greenwoods Corner to Newmarket....and its a cycle lane, 3 person lane, taxi lane and now EV lane.

There are dedicated cycle lanes in the city but trusting frustrated distracted, increasingly foreign born motorists to give me room on a

bicycle....ah no thanks.

Are red lights optional when you cycle?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I'm looking forward to hearing some balance on here.

So far all I've heard is that every cyclist holds up traffic for 17 kilometres even when riding on their own.

And every cyclist rides through at least 5 red lights every time they ride out their gate. Even in towns with no traffic lights.

We have a lot of similar risks on the road (SMIDSY). I'm not sure hating helps.

Thread Information