Thread: Skipping Neutral

Bike
    2009, GSXR 750 and CB900F

Skipping Neutral

Hi all,

Come to seek some wisdom about a problem my CB900F has.

Basically after sitting in traffic really using the clutch, I cant find neutral. It just skips past it 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 1st.

Only seems to do it when it gets warm/hot. Excessive clutch use ie sitting at the lights with the clutch in causes it after a number of traffic lights.

I've read that the wrong type of oil can cause this. Apparently the previous owner put something other than 10w40 into it. Can't remember but i think it had a 20 in it somewhere...

Haven't changed it yet as i'm collecting parts so i can check the clutch as in one hit.

If it isn't oil, what else could it be?

Things that spring to mind are worn clutch discs or clutch steels.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Mine did that when the oil got very hot. I replaced the clutch. Still did it when it got hot. I learned to filter more and never had the problem again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    I wouldn't lose any sleep over it mate, not until you've changed the oil. Wrong viscosity will make a big difference especially at operating temp. Worn clutch plates and springs don't cause that problem, that causes slipping. You could check your clutch adjustment though (cable operated?), small changes to adjustment can make a big difference to that sort of issue. You'll also find it easier to slip it into neutral if you do it while you're still moving, just before you stop. It gets harder the longer you sit there stationary and in gear with the clutch dragging.
    Either way it just needs maintenance, not repair
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Yes, the correct oil is very important, but the other thing is the chain may be a little too tight
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I think your issue is more to do with stiff leg/toe muscles than a gearbox or oil issue. Find neutral just after you stop at the lights.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Hornet 900?

10w40 is your desired oil weight.

I found the gear box was fussy on oil and brands in respect to shifting.

I purchased it new and the shop used Castrol semi synthetic - I found this did not retain good shifting for more than 2-3000kms despite the oil being clean. After service number two I drained the Castrol within 1000 kms and a change to Motul 5100 made a noticeable improvement then Motul 3000V (full synth) was even better as was Spectro full synthetic and then a constant diet of Amsoil full synthetic for the rest of the duration I owned it (8 years in total).

Motul 5100 is about $80 for 4 l
    Motul 3000v or any name brand full synthetic $100-120.

On the Hornet it's easy DIY with the filter out the front - a tip is to fold up a sheet of tin-foil into a pan shape and place it on top of the exhaust as the oil runs down on to the headers/mid pipe. Just means less to clean off.

Bike
    2009, GSXR 750 and CB900F
    awesome, thanks for all the info.

I was thinking semi or full synthetic. Will probably go full now since its not too much more.

Think i'll give her an oil change and see where that gets me.

I bought this bike pretty cheap with high mileage for the sole purpose of commuting. The high K's mean i don't feel bad about racking them up.

I love this bike it's such a good bike!

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anthraxnz View Post
    awesome, thanks for all the info.

I was thinking semi or full synthetic. Will probably go full now since its not too much more.

Think i'll give her an oil change and see where that gets me.

I bought this bike pretty cheap with high mileage for the sole purpose of commuting. The high K's mean i don't feel bad about racking them up.

Is it a true cb 900 f 80.s one pretty amazing its still going so well honda motor inc well done . I had a cb750 intrgra with full frame mounted faring .its still going stong . Sold it 30 years ago . Actually seen two in pammy in recent years . Brought mine brand new from hollands honda shakespere road . Rode it here in 87 . 6000 k brand new .they imported them from usa cheap as had warehouses full . When harley got protection from us govt .abything over 700 cc . But trarfiis on then . Thats why honda had vrf 700,s brought then here cheap too .loved those sand castings on vfr 700,s love have that finish on my vfr 750 rc 36 diffrent cases though i think .
    I wanted vfr 750 white it was 10 k new 1987 . Oh white ones divine .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    Is it a true cb 900 f 80.s one pretty amazing its still going so well honda motor inc well done . I had a cb750 intrgra with full frame mounted faring .its still going stong . Sold it 30 years ago . Actually seen two in pammy in recent years . Brought mine brand new from hollands honda shakespere road . Rode it here in 87 . 6000 k brand new .they imported them from usa cheap as had warehouses full . When harley got protection from us govt .abything over 700 cc . But trarfiis on then . Thats why honda had vrf 700,s brought then here cheap too .loved those sand castings on vfr 700,s love have that finish on my vfr 750 rc 36 diffrent cases though i think .
    I wanted vfr 750 white it was 10 k new 1987 . Oh white ones divine .

I always used 20 / 50 well used to use castrol gtx . Lower figure is cold temp how well it stays holds its fulid flow .50 is high temp . Think motorcycle oils way over priced . Apart from shared wet clutch gear box in same oil . Said in 80,s synthetic taked trashing from gears holds molcules better .well actaully does get shear . Apart from turbos or super charged bit waste of money . Keep in changed i changed mine . Ever 2000km but i mainly did comuting in town. So get bit more crap . In the oil .the oil cb 9 had in the day be fine. Change filter ever second change of oil . Up to u though

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Dude. You just quoted yourself.........

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So the clutch is dragging. Not much but enough to put a load on the input shaft which is why you can snick it into neutral at walking pace easier than standstill .
    To an extent oil might help.
    The real issue is wear. If the steels warp you get drag but it's usually steps worn into both the inner and outer basket holding some plates just together enough to drag more than when they were new.

Either get over it or strip and replace parts as necessary but basket parts won't be cheap unless low mileage 2nd hand eBay bargain falls into your lap.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anthraxnz View Post

Define high km... these bikes go on and on and on. 1 mate has a touch under 100k, another has 170k ish, and somewhere around Hamilton another must be over 250k (but had gear work done).

I've got 148k on mine, 3rd clutch cable now, but nothing done to clutch discs, gears etc. For a decade its done well over 100k of the mileage commuting and up and down the gears most days until April last year. Can't tell you what oil though, Botany Honda does the servicing every 6k. Might occasionally have issues with neutral, but normally releasing and re-engaging the clutch or going from 1 or 2 gets me into neutral.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information