Thread: Trail Bike Advice

Bike
    In the market

Trail Bike Advice

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking for a bit of advice on selecting my next trail bike. I'm mainly interested in enduro/cross country rides, not really too miffed about motocross. My last bike was a crf250r two years ago, it was a fun wee bike but not great for cross country. Way too thirsty and gear range too narrow.
    Before that I used to ride a DRZ-400, great old tractor of a bike but pretty heavy.

So I've been looking at either a wrf450 or an excf350, it's been a few years since I've ridden though. I'm not sure how aggressive the 450 is so would be keen to hear from anyone who rides these or has any suggestions.

Cheers

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewildtasman View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I'm looking for a bit of advice on selecting my next trail bike. I'm mainly interested in enduro/cross country rides, not really too miffed about motocross. My last bike was a crf250r two years ago, it was a fun wee bike but not great for cross country. Way too thirsty and gear range too narrow.
    Before that I used to ride a DRZ-400, great old tractor of a bike but pretty heavy.

So I've been looking at either a wrf450 or an excf350, it's been a few years since I've ridden though. I'm not sure how aggressive the 450 is so would be keen to hear from anyone who rides these or has any suggestions.

Cheers
    klx450r??. A little heavier than the two your looking at but bang for buck 9g are pretty good as long as ya drop a tooth on the front as there too high geared stock, Have the right jets in it as there way lean stock and hard starting, water proof the bloody plug inside the left shroud behind the radiator. If buying new the dealer should know all this and sort it anyway or mine did apart from the plug which is an easy fix. Not as much grunt as the other 450's but tractable and useable with enough grunt unless your an expert.
    winding up stucky since ages ago

Bike
    In the market
    Cheers for that I hadn't even really considered a KLX, never had much experience but it might be something to consider! How do the older models go? I'm probably really only looking at spending up to $7k so I'll need to get something 2nd hand

Bike
    In the market
    Hey mate cheers for the insight! I was able to test ride a wr450f today and I was really impressed. I thought it was going to scare the pants of me but it was really nice to ride. Still enough power to keep me honest but not too aggressive to make riding unpleasant. I might have to look into a KLX too I think. Not in a position to buy new but I'm sure there are some good 2nd hand ones around

Bike
    SXF250
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi cowboy View Post
    klx450r??. A little heavier than the two your looking at but bang for buck 9g are pretty good as long as ya drop a tooth on the front as there too high geared stock, Have the right jets in it as there way lean stock and hard starting, water proof the bloody plug inside the left shroud behind the radiator. If buying new the dealer should know all this and sort it anyway or mine did apart from the plug which is an easy fix. Not as much grunt as the other 450's but tractable and useable with enough grunt unless your an expert.
    I'd swap the muffler as well, it's seriously heavy.

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewildtasman View Post
    Cheers for that I hadn't even really considered a KLX, never had much experience but it might be something to consider! How do the older models go? I'm probably really only looking at spending up to $7k so I'll need to get something 2nd hand
    Yer I tried second hand when I first got into off road riding and got a wr450 that looked good lol. unfortunately it lasted 5 hours and shit the gearbox.
    My wife said if your serious about it go new and be done with it and at least ya know how its maintained and should get a reasonable run out of it.
    Bought a klx mainly on price and as I said its not got quite the same power as newer bikes as its still based on a 2008 kx450 and hasn't changed but still heaps of good grunt.
    Second hand ones around 7k I would expect a pretty low hours klx as only 9 new but 7k in another brand I would think be older bikes with more hours and yes possibly had engine work but never know how long it will last.
    Bike I traded on the klx had the gearbox done and sold only to return a month later to get top end over hall ending up costing about 4 g in work.
    Not trying to talk you into or out of any bike but its a gamble.

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by takitimu View Post
    I'd swap the muffler as well, it's seriously heavy.
    Correct it is but I haven't worried about that as im a novice trail rider lol.
    Thinking about having a go at the local 4 hour here in our valley in April though lol.

Bike
    Steam powered rocking chair
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi cowboy View Post
    Yer I tried second hand when I first got into off road riding and got a wr450 that looked good lol. unfortunately it lasted 5 hours and shit the gearbox.
    My wife said if your serious about it go new and be done with it and at least ya know how its maintained and should get a reasonable run out of it.
    Bought a klx mainly on price and as I said its not got quite the same power as newer bikes as its still based on a 2008 kx450 and hasn't changed but still heaps of good grunt.
    Second hand ones around 7k I would expect a pretty low hours klx as only 9 new but 7k in another brand I would think be older bikes with more hours and yes possibly had engine work but never know how long it will last.
    Bike I traded on the klx had the gearbox done and sold only to return a month later to get top end over hall ending up costing about 4 g in work.
    Not trying to talk you into or out of any bike but its a gamble.
    Pretty sound advice there. I'm looking at going the klx way , can't really beat it value wise for a bike to blat around on and do the odd trail ride .

Bike
    SXF250
    Quote Originally Posted by cruza View Post
    Pretty sound advice there. I'm looking at going the klx way , can't really beat it value wise for a bike to blat around on and do the odd trail ride .
    They are great for that, power wise it's still a 450, it can go, replace the muffler ( I put a kx450 one on mine ), fix the connector as above & it's good to go.

I'd not gear it down to far unless you like tight stuff, the handlebars twist pretty easy in the mount it you fall off, you can put a one piece mount on to fix that ( ride engineering do one, so do BRP moto, I had a BRP moto mount )

Check out the Suzuki's as well, they might have a special on ( 11k list rmx450 )

Thread Information