Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Daytime running lamps?

Bike
    The Conscience

Daytime running lamps?

So a question for you WOF issuing type guys...

I am thinking of adding daytime running lamps to my bike, so I thought I would check on the LTSA website regarding the do's and don'ts and it says that you can have them but they have to be disabled when the headlight is on. Now my bike does not have a headlamp switch, it is on all the time....

So that means they are illegal for my bike? Seems like a bit of a crock to me...
    "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    So why did you want to fit them in the first place ????
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRMAN View Post
    So a question for you WOF issuing type guys...

I am thinking of adding daytime running lamps to my bike, so I thought I would check on the LTSA website regarding the do's and don'ts and it says that you can have them but they have to be disabled when the headlight is on. Now my bike does not have a headlamp switch, it is on all the time....

So that means they are illegal for my bike? Seems like a bit of a crock to me...
    I'm poked then. My bike has a running light as standard & hard wired head light. It's all or nothing.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    The Conscience
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    So why did you want to fit them in the first place ????

Be Safe Be Seen......
    "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"

Bike
    Bikes!
    Weird. My bike has them from the factory, and they're always on. Maybe it's exempt because they're OEM?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    As I understand ... their use is permitted, to use instead of having the headlight on in daytime ... if you don't want to have your headlight on in daytime. Mostly intended for motorcycles that have "delicate" electrical systems ... that risk serious electrical "issues" when running the headlight.

If you want extra lights ... buy a gold wing ..

Bike
    Bikes!
    I wasn't a fan at first, but they do a great job of making the bike more visible; might be the type of light, the white LEDs are quite distinctive.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Weird. My bike has them from the factory, and they're always on. Maybe it's exempt because they're OEM?
    Same here.

Just put a set on and have them switched for a WoF, there's no reason to call them day time running lamps
    Failing it for being more visible would be a tiny bit silly too
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Same here.

Just put a set on and have them switched for a WoF, there's no reason to call them day time running lamps
    Failing it for being more visible would be a tiny bit silly too
    Personally ... I would go ask the person I usually get MY WoF from ...

Or ... fit them un-switched. Cheaper and easier.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Can you clarify please? As far as I am aware, no motorcycles have DRL fitted ex factory?

As the law states, you may not run your main headlight(s) at the same time as DRLs. One or the other and this law applies to both cars and bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000
    What, exactly, contitutes a drl? Are the lights in the corner of the main lights in this pic considered to be drl's?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	271778

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmatt View Post
    What, exactly, contitutes a drl? Are the lights in the corner of the main lights in this pic considered to be drl's?
    Generally referred to as park lamps by manufacturers, motorcycles actually aren't allowed these either (ran into this last WOF) and couldn't get an answer from NZTA other than a lemming saying "here is the law, now obey it coz I said so".

Park lamps are classified as forward facing position lamps instead, and you are allowed a maximum of 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Can you clarify please? As far as I am aware, no motorcycles have DRL fitted ex factory?

As the law states, you may not run your main headlight(s) at the same time as DRLs. One or the other and this law applies to both cars and bikes.
    Sure

That was the best I could find. At the very outer points of the indicators, those white bits are the DRL. I have to say I am impressed, definitely makes the bike a larger target for cagers to aim for

It's also the first bike I've had that hasn't got a park light setting, at least not that I've found on the ignition lock.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    My Harley has the front indicators on all the time, I think its a very good feature. It gives the bike width, and I think that helps with depth and speed perception. I think the white LEDS are far more visible than a dipped headlight, its a very clear white/blue light, rather than the yellowish cast from my OEM HD headlight.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

My Bros650.
    My CB400 SF
    My ZZR400K
    My ZZR600D
    These all had factory DRL. Generally seen on U.K market bikes, and it's usually running a twin filament front indicator bulb (the CB had OE headlight always on, and DRL indicators)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Thread Information