Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GSX-S1000 - Opinions

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Fear not!

The VStrom has been traded for the GSX-S. The intention is that this will be my main IAMing bike - With its good ergos and cracking overtaking ability it'll be ideal for the job I reckon.
    Crikey Lee, are you trying to provoke Cassina? You could have said that that it was for running over stray dogs or something.......

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

Who me???

With MY reputation...

BINGO!!!

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Hmmm .. every one I know who has had one (except for one person) has flicked them real quick ...

I'll be interested to see how long you last.
    You're looking at the wrong crowd. I know a handful of folks who are doing serious mileage on theirs. Or maybe IAM not allowed to mention that...

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    As promised I'm reporting back after having done some Kms on the new GSX-s over a variety of roads this last weekend.

Engine

One word - WOW! Gear choice for a bend or overtaking manoeuvre is fairly optional though the throttle response is taking some getting used to as it feels very responsive, almost snatchy in its action. I even managed to get 20km/litre too which is good going considering the amount of performance on tap.

Ergonomics

Good mirrors and a nice, slightly canted forward riding position mean extended stints in the saddle aren't something to be dreaded. The pegs are fairly high up meaning that legs are bent fairly far up but that's the price you pay for no ground clearance issues. I had Suzuki's taller touring screen fitted which seems to work well without any noticeable buffeting.

Handling/Chassis

Some fine tuning has been needed here. I've softened off both ends from the standard settings, reducing preload to the minimum at the front as well as reducing the damping both front and rear. It seems to have made a bit of a difference but it's still a stiffly suspended bike. The upshot of course is that there's no wallowing in the faster bends and you get good feel as to what the tyres are doing too. As Suzuki say this is a comfortable sports bike and they are right. Ruddy good fun too. I'll be doing some more research into what settings others have used to see if I can get the standard suspension working even better over the coming weeks.

Overall

I wanted something with some more spice compared to my VStrom and I've certainly got that. The throttle response is going to take some time to adjust to but I'm pleased with the bike thus far. Sufficiently modern form an electronics point of view but not too complex that you need a few minutes playing with the various modes before every ride.

Oh and it's quick - Very quick!

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    As promised I'm reporting back after having done some Kms on the new GSX-s over a variety of roads this last weekend.

Engine

One word - WOW! Gear choice for a bend or overtaking manoeuvre is fairly optional though the throttle response is taking some getting used to as it feels very responsive, almost snatchy in its action. I even managed to get 20km/litre too which is good going considering the amount of performance on tap.

Ergonomics

Good mirrors and a nice, slightly canted forward riding position mean extended stints in the saddle aren't something to be dreaded. The pegs are fairly high up meaning that legs are bent fairly far up but that's the price you pay for no ground clearance issues. I had Suzuki's taller touring screen fitted which seems to work well without any noticeable buffeting.

Handling/Chassis

Some fine tuning has been needed here. I've softened off both ends from the standard settings, reducing preload to the minimum at the front as well as reducing the damping both front and rear. It seems to have made a bit of a difference but it's still a stiffly suspended bike. The upshot of course is that there's no wallowing in the faster bends and you get good feel as to what the tyres are doing too. As Suzuki say this is a comfortable sports bike and they are right. Ruddy good fun too. I'll be doing some more research into what settings others have used to see if I can get the standard suspension working even better over the coming weeks.

Overall

I wanted something with some more spice compared to my VStrom and I've certainly got that. The throttle response is going to take some time to adjust to but I'm pleased with the bike thus far. Sufficiently modern form an electronics point of view but not too complex that you need a few minutes playing with the various modes before every ride.

Oh and it's quick - Very quick!
    Nice ! As you can see I ride the "R" but same principles apply. I lowered the pegs 25mm ,much better. I also prefer a softer set up, so backed off comp and pre load.
    Not many sport riders do that I would have thought ? But hey, I like it and no one leaves me behind. Enjoy your new wheels !

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    A
    Easy to see you enjoyed your “running in” procedure on the weekend sir.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Easy to see you enjoyed your “running in” procedure on the weekend sir.
    Hahahaha! I can assure you he was a bit more restrained heading north up the motorway on Saturday evening. Both of us were

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    The bike's in having its first service today - Having its R+G bungs fitted too.

As for the running in... well restricting the rider to just under 6k Rpm isn't much of a restriction to be honest

The snatchy throttle is still that though - Snatchy...

Bike
    Sold
    The bike's in having its first service today - Having its R+G bungs fitted too.

As for the running in... well restricting the rider to just under 6k Rpm isn't much of a restriction to be honest

The snatchy throttle is still that though - Snatchy...
    Leave it until it's freed up a bit but if it's unacceptably snatchy as mine was, Simon Meade at Suzuki NZ should offer a new ECM free of charge. Transformed mine.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Leave it until it's freed up a bit but if it's unacceptably snatchy as mine was, Simon Meade at Suzuki NZ should offer a new ECM free of charge. Transformed mine.
    Im guessing a 'flashed' one doesnt matter i suppose as long as its smooth

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    Im guessing a 'flashed' one doesnt matter i suppose as long as its smooth
    Unsure of its provenance as it was slightly different to the OEM unit so maybe not a re-flash. What it does, however, is eliminate the bottom end lean spot for compliance with EU emissions. Did the biz. It was a universal complaint on GSX forums at the time I bought mine and there were several ways of fixing it, some of which seemed expensive and complicated. Suzuki NZ's solution was rapid, worked perfectly and didn't cost me a cent - good on them!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    The snatch is called a fuel cut. They are set to drop to only enough fuel to support an idle when off the throttle. So when you come back on it bang you get fuel and the snatch. Personally its something that really annoys me about new bikes but they need it for standards.

My bakes have been mapped and any new ones will be as well. Just part of the buy price now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    A Red German one.
    FWIW My last Suzuki was snatchy in the throttle. A K&N Air Filter helped this immeasurably.

"No matter what bike you ride. It's all the same wind in your face"

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Unsure of its provenance as it was slightly different to the OEM unit so maybe not a re-flash. What it does, however, is eliminate the bottom end lean spot for compliance with EU emissions. Did the biz. It was a universal complaint on GSX forums at the time I bought mine and there were several ways of fixing it, some of which seemed expensive and complicated. Suzuki NZ's solution was rapid, worked perfectly and didn't cost me a cent - good on them!
    for my 650FU - this used to happen at 80 Kph in 6th gear - the throttle response in that rev range was horrid - apparently that's the rev range when the compliance test is done.

Every other situation, the Throttle response was smooth as butter.

The 'Bus suffers no such weirdness
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    bandit
    Yep - It'll be real fun finding out though!
    YES ..

(plus 10 fucking characters)
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Thread Information