Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GSX-S1000 - Opinions

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

GSX-S1000 - Opinions

Hi All

I'm looking at taking a GSX-S1000f for a spin with a view to it potentially replacing my VStrom 650. The way I see it it's got the good bits of a sports bike without the associated painful elements. Plus I reckon it could well be ideal for my IAM riding/observing too.

What's wrong with the VStrom you ask? Absolutely nothing - It's a cracking bike. It simply lacks a bit of... Fizz...

I've had a good look at a couple of GSX-S1000s now, including Blackbird's, and I like what I see. Especially now that they are doing it in metallic white.

Thoughts? Owner's impressions? What's good or bad about them?

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Hi All

I'm looking at taking a GSX-S1000f for a spin with a view to it potentially replacing my VStrom 650. The way I see it it's got the good bits of a sports bike without the associated painful elements. Plus I reckon it could well be ideal for my IAM riding/observing too.

What's wrong with the VStrom you ask? Absolutely nothing - It's a cracking bike. It simply lacks a bit of... Fizz...

I've had a good look at a couple of GSX-S1000s now, including Blackbird's, and I like what I see. Especially now that they are doing it in metallic white.

1/ pm Blackbird of this forum. He owns one and seems to like it.

2/I am a Suzuki fanboi and wanted to really like it. I don't. Imho, poor suspension, poor fueling and average handling put paid to my interest. A friend spent the $$$ on a nitron, PCV and tune, even a flashed ecu. Just did not really work. MT10 leagues ahead. Opportunity lost Suzuki. Again imho.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I had a ride on one a year or so back. The owner was riding my 2014 v strom. As I took off he told me to watch out for the brakes. I told him I was used to good brakes and he warned me again. Any way, spirited ride on 30km or so of windy road near paparoa, I got off and was happy to hop back on the Strom. He got off my strom with a big smile on his face and said "shit the brakes are good on this bike, must have track pads in"
    Anyway, I have a Ducati Monster 1200, that fucker will put the biggest smile on your face. The gsx-s is a teapot in comparison. Just my opinion, mind you I rate the V strom1000 over the gsx-s...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    1/ pm Blackbird of this forum. He owns one and seems to like it.

2/I am a Suzuki fanboi and wanted to really like it. I don't. Imho, poor suspension, poor fueling and average handling put paid to my interest. A friend spent the $$$ on a nitron, PCV and tune, even a flashed ecu. Just did not really work. MT10 leagues ahead. Opportunity lost Suzuki. Again imho.
    Thanks.

I've already spoken to Blackbird (I attended the same track day as him a week or two back) so I know he likes his though it's not perfect.

I've also ridden the GSX-S 750 previously and liked it. I really like the look of the Yam XSR900 too. Perhaps I'll take one of those for a spin. I'm afraid the looks of the MT-10 are just a bit too challenging for me though I can see why it'd be a great choice.

Bike
    Sold
    Thanks.

I've already spoken to Blackbird (I attended the same track day as him a week or two back) so I know he likes his though it's not perfect.

I've also ridden the GSX-S 750 previously and liked it. I really like the look of the Yam XSR900 too. Perhaps I'll take one of those for a spin. I'm afraid the looks of the MT-10 are just a bit too challenging for me though I can see why it'd be a great choice.
    Hi Lee,
    The upgraded ECU sorted the fuelling and l have no issue with the brakes although some EBC HH pads will be used when the OEM ones need replacing. However, I went on a suspension tuning ride with Dave Moss last week and the improvement in handling was huge, even with budget rear suspension - wish I'd had it done before the track day! I don't really have any issue with the bike on technical grounds. As we all know and accept, there's an emotional component to owning and loving a bike. The Suzuki does its job admirably but I have no emotional involvement like I did with the Blackbird or especially the Street Triple. Hope that makes sense!

Incidentally, one of the Auckland IAM members has the F version and I can put you in touch if required.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I took one for a hoon - as a possible candidate when I need to scratch the new bike itch.

The riding position was comfy, but the seat was a bit small (for my fat arse) - and in cornering, it seemed a little twitchy - whereas the 'busa is very settled.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I'm hopefully having one as a loan bike tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes.

Bike
    Sold
    I'm hopefully having one as a loan bike tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes.

You might find the front end a bit stiff. Dave Moss backed off the preload on mine and tinkered with the rebound and compression. I'd got the rear fairly close. Enjoy!!!

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Sadly I'm only able to take the bike from the CBD to Devonport and back so I won't get to do an in-depth test.

However, it has given me a good idea as to what it's like in traffic and filtering. The answer thus far is that it's better doing that than I expected. A top gear roll on from 80-100ish this morning showed that it's got plenty of overtaking punch too. Me likey.

Despite reports to the contrary the throttle response feels fine to me. No better or worse than any other fuel injected bike I've ridden and the clutch, gearbox and throttle relationship is lovely. Typical Suzuki from my experience.

The bike I'm on has the larger Suzuki touring screen fitted too which seems to be pretty effective. We'll see what numbers Colemans come back with later today.

Bike
    Sold

Despite reports to the contrary the throttle response feels fine to me. No better or worse than any other fuel injected bike I've ridden and the clutch, gearbox and throttle relationship is lovely. Typical Suzuki from my experience.

Great stuff Lee! The later models may well have the updated ECU. Those 2005-2008 based long stroke motors certainly have plenty of torque.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Thanks all for your thoughts and feedback. I enjoyed my sadly too short ride on the GSX-S yesterday though I did manage to gain a good impression of what it's like in and around the snaggy traffic bits which is what Auckland traffic and riding seems to consist of mostly.

I collect mine tomorrow from the good folks at Colemans. In Mettalic White with my SatNav and Taller screen fitted.

I'm looking forward to getting some Kms on it this coming weekend too.

Bike
    Sold
    Thanks all for your thoughts and feedback. I enjoyed my sadly too short ride on the GSX-S yesterday though I did manage to gain a good impression of what it's like in and around the snaggy traffic bits which is what Auckland traffic and riding seems to consist of mostly.

I collect mine tomorrow from the good folks at Colemans. In Mettalic White with my SatNav and Taller screen fitted.

I'm looking forward to getting some Kms on it this coming weekend too.
    Congratulations! Bloody hell - got any room left in the shed???? More importantly, did you have Executive Permission?

Look forward to seeing it!

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Fear not!

The VStrom has been traded for the GSX-S. The intention is that this will be my main IAMing bike - With its good ergos and cracking overtaking ability it'll be ideal for the job I reckon.

Bike
    bandit
    Hi All

Fear not!

The VStrom has been traded for the GSX-S. The intention is that this will be my main IAMing bike - With its good ergos and cracking overtaking ability it'll be ideal for the job I reckon.
    Hmmm .. every one I know who has had one (except for one person) has flicked them real quick ...

I'll be interested to see how long you last.
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Yep - It'll be real fun finding out though!

Thread Information