Thread: Anyone here tried the Michelin Power RS tyres?

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650

Anyone here tried the Michelin Power RS tyres?

I've got a set of the Power RS tyres going on my supermoto on Friday - will let everyone know how I get on. Anyone here got experience with them?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    I've got a set of the Power RS tyres going on my supermoto on Friday - will let everyone know how I get on. Anyone here got experience with them?

Been wondering about them as they do the 180/60 rear I run and are stocked in NZ (otherwise Pirelli).

Cool as F tread pattern (or lack of........). Plays with the likes of Rosso III so I'll be interested in any NZ reviews too.

Bike
    my little pony
    Will be fitting them when my power 3s are worn. The RS and Pilot Road 5 were on display at the Burt with the NZ Michelin dealers. These two tyre sets are made from synthetic rubber, not tree rubber, so they have a whole new playing field for tyre development.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200

Mitchelin 5's

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post

Mitchelin 5's
    Different tire, and press launches and anyone who takes part in them can go fuck themselves. Let me guess, he says the same thing as everyone says at every press launch ever? "omg such innovation from [manufacturer] on their development of [product], it has features such as [manufacturer's features list]. It's the best thing I've ever used out of all [product category]."

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Motorrad magazine did a comparison of sports tyres last year. I think the Rosso 3 came out on top, but there wasn't much between all of the tyres. The updated SportSmart did well - 3rd if I recall correctly.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk

Bike
    my little pony
    The RS and PR5 are more closely related than what you may think. What the dealers demonstrated was that water lubricates natural rubber, but less so for synthetic rubber. But I am on my 4th set of PP3 s so I am biased. The natural progression from the PP3 is actually the PR5, the RS being more fringe lunatic orientated, you little hooligan you!

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    The RS and PR5 are more closely related than what you may think. What the dealers demonstrated was that water lubricates natural rubber, but less so for synthetic rubber. But I am on my 4th set of PP3 s so I am biased. The natural progression from the PP3 is actually the PR5, the RS being more fringe lunatic orientated, you little hooligan you!
    The Road 5 is a sport touring tyre. I've been a fan of the PR4 on a couple of bikes but have had a couple of sets of Metzler 01's on the GSX-S in more recent times. Very similar in wet and dry performance to the PR4 with what feels like better turn-in. In Ride magazine, the 01 came out on top, followed by the Road 5. Both the PR4 and 01 rears lasted for 10-12k.

In reality, the top brand tyres performance are better than most of us are capable of using so it comes down to what we are using them for and personal preference.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    The natural progression from the PP3 is actually the PR5, the RS being more fringe lunatic orientated, you little hooligan you!
    Just what I'm after

But in all seriousness since having our first kid 11 months ago I now realise I'm going to be doing a lot less riding - probably well under 10,000km/year and mostly short rides/half days rather than full days and multi-days. Hence I changed to a supermoto, and now I'm after a tire with outstanding dry grip, and don't care so much about wet performance or wear.

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Just what I'm after

But in all seriousness since having our first kid 11 months ago I now realise I'm going to be doing a lot less riding - probably well under 10,000km/year and mostly short rides/half days rather than full days and multi-days. Hence I changed to a supermoto, and now I'm after a tire with outstanding dry grip, and don't care so much about wet performance or wear.
    you should get a whole year out of the rear, and the front will need to be changed before you have to fill the cracks with nugget.

Bike
    I've had the Power RS tyres for a couple of weeks but have barely had a chance to ride them yet. Went for a short ride and did some wheelies etc, can't complain, but really need a chance to push them before I can really comment. Really nice smooth tip in though, so I'm liking the feel in terms of the profile.

Edit: for those interested, they were $605 fitted. For reference I could have gotten the Road 5 for a bit less than that - on almost any other bike/situation the Road 5 would be a better choice, but I'm more interested in a super sticky tyre than tyre life at the moment.

Bike
    2023 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
    How are these tyres holding up, eg with wet roads and cold temps, etc?
    My bike has Michelin Pilot Street as factory tyres, but when they're due for replacement I'm intending to go with Michelin Power RS in the same fitment, as they're the next step up in terms of grippiness from the Pilot Streets in these sizes, I think.

And does anyone know the best place to get these in greater Auckland, in terms of best price for a full set including fitting and balancing, and fast service?

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    I'm a Michelin lad through and through with Power 3's on the Ducati and Power Pure SC's on the Scooter (and Road 2's on the crappy Hooflung 650 I had beforehand, Pilot Pure's on the R6 before that and Pilot Somethings on the ex250 I started on)

I've not tried these Power RS's but they're top of the list when I wear out the Power 3's on the 996.

They look, as far as I remember, like just a re-released and maybe re-engineered Pilot Pure. Which were great but definitely not a long-life tyre!
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    The Power RS was meant to be the next great thing, combining the best features of the Power Cup and Pilot Power 3. From the reviews, it seems that the reality wasn't quite what was promised, but it's still a very good tyre.

Thread Information