Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Career Change For Me

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The residents have choices ... leaving the area is one choice.
    Yep, same choices as with any other protection racket.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    And I'm pretty sure most of the residents consider themselves more than capable of spending their own hard earned money. And there's no doubt at all that they'd do a far better job of it.
    The residents would pay a concreter to come around and redo the footpaths on their street? And buy a bunch of books for a local library that they paid to have built?

I consider rates and councils to be a necessary thing, though not every spending decision would be agreeable to all rate payers, obviously.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    youtube.com/watch?v=EL8e2ujXe8g
    fucking minger. you voted for it.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The property rates are not any councils only source of income. The amount paid from any one property amounts to fuck all of the council expenditure. Yet every resident thinks that they own the council (and have final say in the expenditure) because they paid their rates.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    The residents would pay a concreter to come around and redo the footpaths on their street? And buy a bunch of books for a local library that they paid to have built?

I consider rates and councils to be a necessary thing, though not every spending decision would be agreeable to all rate payers, obviously.
    Necessary? No, at best they're a means to leverage economies of scale in purchasing.

But the fact is they're a monopoly. And by definition monopolies provide poor value for their "clients".

Is one enough to offset the other?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    The property rates are not any councils only source of income. The amount paid from any one property amounts to fuck all of the council expenditure. Yet every resident thinks that they own the council (and have final say in the expenditure) because they paid their rates.
    I didn't suggest they were.

All of their revenue comes from their "customers", though. And any customer has the right to demand value for his money.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I didn't suggest they were.

All of their revenue comes from their "customers", though. And any customer has the right to demand value for his money.
    Customers ...

At best ... One of a few hundred thousand non voting subscribers in a company ... that gives them no actual say in how they do business.

Rates are NOT their sole source of income. They'd make more from parking (buildings and meters) than they do from rates.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Customers ...

At best ... One of a few hundred thousand non voting subscribers in a company ... that gives them no actual say in how they do business.

Rates are NOT their sole source of income. They'd make more from parking (buildings and meters) than they do from rates.
    Again, I didn't say it was.

And if they're taking your money and supplying you goods and/or services then take my word for it: you're not a "non voting subscriber", you're their customer.

Bike
    wr450f
    All the best Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    which brings me back to point Z. - use premium fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    And the right plugs. And condoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    never really believed in em. which i suppose is why my bike runs rough and i have kids.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Askor View Post
    All the best Pete
    Chur chur chur

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Last Day Today

I don't start the new job for another couple of weeks. But today I'll be doing my last work as a full time motorcycle instructor.

I may do the occasional day of delivering training, but that aside, today is my last day.

I have one guy who has ridden before doing his basic handling. Then someone doing a CBTA 6R test.

And that's it.

If you think you have all the answers to motorcycle safety, man up, pack in what you are doing, and give this job a go.

If you're not prepared to do that, have some respect for those who have hung their hat on delivering training. I sure do.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I don't start the new job for another couple of weeks. But today I'll be doing my last work as a full time motorcycle instructor.

I may do the occasional day of delivering training, but that aside, today is my last day.

I have one guy who has ridden before doing his basic handling. Then someone doing a CBTA 6R test.

And that's it.

If you think you have all the answers to motorcycle safety, man up, pack in what you are doing, and give this job a go.

If you're not prepared to do that, have some respect for those who have hung their hat on delivering training. I sure do.
    onya rastus, on a training note tho, I had a friend ring me the other night with a quandary, his niece has been coerced in to buying a motorcycle for transport (by her dad, mums none to pleased by the sounds). Any way, there is basically zero experience except dad carted mum round on one 15 or so years ago. the question posed to me is there any training available for someone with zero experience just to learn the basics of riding before even doing the basic handling.
    I told him the best i know was nuthing until getting legal on the road then doing the ride forever courses.
    scary part tho was mum has dragged out her helmet from 15yr ago and said well if ya gonna ride then here have this, my instant reaction was hell no, go buy her a new one that fits proper.
    only other suggestion i had was to get her in a paddock and start riding cones and doing figure eights etc.
    I did suggest he give neil a ring out at drivetech (opposition i know but he is local) but apart from that i know of no training available for a complete novice

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    . I did not bother with doing figure 8s or riding around cones.
    hence the need to put your feet down when cornering, go figure

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    onya rastus, on a training note tho, I had a friend ring me the other night with a quandary, his niece has been coerced in to buying a motorcycle for transport (by her dad, mums none to pleased by the sounds). Any way, there is basically zero experience except dad carted mum round on one 15 or so years ago. the question posed to me is there any training available for someone with zero experience just to learn the basics of riding before even doing the basic handling.
    I told him the best i know was nuthing until getting legal on the road then doing the ride forever courses.
    scary part tho was mum has dragged out her helmet from 15yr ago and said well if ya gonna ride then here have this, my instant reaction was hell no, go buy her a new one that fits proper.
    only other suggestion i had was to get her in a paddock and start riding cones and doing figure eights etc.
    I did suggest he give neil a ring out at drivetech (opposition i know but he is local) but apart from that i know of no training available for a complete novice
    I started with a basic handling course (although it was under the old system) with no prior motored riding experience. I didn't pass it that time, but a friend I was doing the course with did, and he had a similar background to me. So it certainly can be done. Funny thing is of the three of us that did the course together the first time around, the one that passed didn't end up getting a bike.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    hence the need to put your feet down when cornering, go figure
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Thread Information