Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Career Change For Me

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Work to live, not live to work, and when work starts to take over your life move on. Actually, right now I should take my own advice.

Good luck with whatever the next step is, I'm sure you'll find the company bullshit more than compensates for the self employed inconvenience.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I want a new job.

If you new one is not cop or MC training related you can now be like the rest of us when you ride for pleasure and ignore half the safety/ road rules ......

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I've done maybe 50000 km per year work related in the last 3 years. On my own bikes. At my expense.

It's taken a lot of the joy out of motorcycling

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Bugger. Didn't see that one on Seek.

Have you moved on?
    Nah I love being the weeknight back door man at the Blue Oyster Bar - though we changed its name to the Eagle a while back:

http://eagle-ny.com/
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Exercycle
    37.5 hours is almost certainly the Public Service.....Once you've done time in there and got a clean record, it's not hard going back to another branch....

Bike
    Street Triple R

Have you moved on?
    I started here on 1 April 15. Its fucking hilarious.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    37.5 hours is almost certainly the Public Service.....Once you've done time in there and got a clean record, it's not hard going back to another branch....
    Have to keep it schtum for now. It'll start a new thread when you find out what it is.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    I've done maybe 50000 km per year work related in the last 3 years. On my own bikes. At my expense.

That's the reason I enjoy "going to church" on Sunday mornings - riding the bike for the sake of it, not to go or get somewhere.

I hope there's enough joy left for you to make the odd outing Rastuscat. Somehow I don't think you'll resist the lure for long.

Best wishes for your new life of slavery.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I've gone through a similar thing. I was self employed sorting computer issues, kinda got sick of dealing with everyone's silly problems, but then the 2008 recession made things worse when no bugger would spend a cent if they didn't need to.

Now I'm just a wage slave, turn up and do my job and then go home. Recently I took 4 weeks off work, I even got paid for it! Got down to the Burt Munro rally and checked out more of the South Island. I'll probably take 4 weeks off next year at the same time, it worked out pretty nice. I like having the regular income that I can rely on, it really makes it easy to plan stuff.

I really wouldn't be all that keen on going back to being self employed, so much easier to go home and stop giving a fuck about work until the next day that I turn up. Unless I win Lotto and retire early, I'd rather just keep on letting someone else have the business worry.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries

Bugger.

Give it a rest, then next Spring buy a silly powerful naked or motard style bike and put the hooligan smile back into life.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Hey RC. If your 37.5 hour job falls through you could come and be a DX delivery rider with me. Get paid to ride a bike and have the benefits of being an employee. Bike's a bit smaller than you're used to though.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    raptor 1000
    i have been self employed since 1986, dont know if i could go back to slaving for THE MAN, be nice to get a pay packet occasionally though

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    In summary, some people are good at being self employed contractors, and some not so much. I'm not so much.

You don't realise the benefits of being employed by someone until you don't have those benefits. Like Kiwisaver contributions. Like paid annual leave. Like having colleagues to bounce ideas off. The psycho-social aspect of work is often underrated.

Just now, if I get sick and can't work, I don't get paid. What that leads to is me going to work when I'm crook as a dog. I had to excuse myself from a client one day about a year ago so I could go and vomit, then return to continue with the lesson. That started me thinking.

Of course, there will be those who are thinking "Welcome to my world". That's okay, if that's your world and it suits you, all good. It just doesn't suit me.

So I'm running away to an hourly rate, 37.5 hours a week job where I don't have to work every weekend to earn a living.

The job isn't confirmed yet, so I won't disclose it.

It's fair to say that I'll miss the motorcycle world where I've worked part time and full time since I became a baby traffic cop in 1988. I know I'll miss the industry, it's full of awesome people.

But it's my time to move on.
    Everyone should have to spend some time self employed, it may not be all that comfortable but it does make you appreciate what it takes to produce your wages.

Good luck mate, hope it pans out well.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Bugger.

Give it a rest, then next Spring buy a silly powerful naked or motard style bike and put the hooligan smile back into life.
    I'm keeping the 1200RT. Not sure about the 800ST

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Hey RC. If your 37.5 hour job falls through you could come and be a DX delivery rider with me. Get paid to ride a bike and have the benefits of being an employee. Bike's a bit smaller than you're used to though.
    First bike I ever rode was a CT90. In 1972, I think.

That'd be back to the future.

Thread Information