Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Career Change For Me

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Everyone should have to spend some time self employed, it may not be all that comfortable but it does make you appreciate what it takes to produce your wages.

Good luck mate, hope it pans out well.
    I can't say I look back fondly on my 5 years as Self Employed Sparkie/AC installer, but as you say it gives you an appreciation on self starting

and paying your tax masters. The GFC ended that and now a corporate suit.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    RC, I got the shits with the Police in 85 and resigned. After a stint overseas at different jobs I returned and was offered a position, so rejoined the job ! No refresher course,just the fitness test and I was away.
    Nothing like having to work for a living to realise what you had... Good luck with whatever it is .

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Good luck with getting the job.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    best of british and whatnot.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Good luck with whatever comes your way.

I admire people that give self-employment a go. Takes courage and commitment. Well done. I confess I have always been a salary man. Worse I work in the corporate world. Once you realise life is far easier if you just 'go with the flow' do what they ask and hey presto. Take home the fortnightly cheque and life is sweet. Lots of benefits having an employer as you mentioned. Get paid to be on holiday. Get paid if you are sick. I'm lucky that mine has an awesome Super scheme with employer matched + a bit contributions to keep us honest and loyal - that works for me. I used to get shocked when I discovered others such as self-employed buddies or those working for small businesses didn't have a Super fund.

At times you do get sick of the fact that you have to get up early Monday to Friday, because someone else expects you to turn up. I tell young staff that moan about work, that one day they will appreciate the times they held their tongue and just did as the company/boss wanted (unless you work for Harvey Weinstein of course),
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    S1000RR
    So now there's a job opening at Dan Ornsby's eh? Maybe Cassina could step up to the challenge?

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Good luck with whatever comes your way.

I admire people that give self-employment a go. Takes courage and commitment. Well done. I confess I have always been a salary man. Worse I work in the corporate world. Once you realise life is far easier if you just 'go with the flow' do what they ask and hey presto. Take home the fortnightly cheque and life is sweet...............
    Pre-retirement, I worked in the corporate world for what was once an excellent employer. After being taken over by a corporate asset-stripper, the whole culture changed and as I'd paid into a really good company super scheme for many years, it was time to retire at 60. I was asked to consult back to the company for 9 months to run a project which I did with some reluctance but the money was good. I mainly worked from home and being that little bit removed, it was a quite a shock when visiting the company to find that some senior management behaviours I'd tolerated for some years were no longer acceptable as they directly impacted on the running of the project. A few words were exchanged... Once you step outside the system, serious shortcomings really stick out. Got offered more work but there were more enjoyable things to do.

There are plusses and minuses to both working for yourself and being in a big organisation. During my working life, I had some good managers as well as some truly terrible ones. However, in all that time; I only had two bosses who could be called genuine leaders - visionaries, approachable, truly inspirational. The sort of person you'd walk over broken glass for. True leaders are as rare as hen's teeth.

Best wishes Pete!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    So now there's a job opening at Dan Ornsby's eh? Maybe Cassina could step up to the challenge?
    Oh, please, please please, YES.....

Mind you, I like Dan, it might prove a tad risky for the business...

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Indeed there is. https://www.facebook.com/pg/DanOrnsb...post_newsstand
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    It's taken a lot of the joy out of motorcycling
    Yup, I was offered some sage advice many years ago. Never turn what you love into a job, you will most likely just be left with a job you don't like.

I've had a couple of cracks at having my own business, made and then lost a lot of money first time round. Lost everything really, home, missus, confidence. Second time I just lost all my money, which wasn't much....

Such is life.

I'm happier now than I have ever been, I wish you the same good fortune.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    IMHO you've made the right decision. I was a self employed electrician for seven years in the 60's/70's and in that time I had TWO hot Christmas dinners.

People seem to have the idea that if you're self employed you're your own boss. WRONG! Everyone is your boss. Someone calls you out to a breakdown and you don't go, you've lost a client, one that, in all likelihood, you'll never see again. A one man and a boy business cannot sustain that.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Fair enough Rastus, hope it works out. I had a go at earning some additional on the side (not full self employment), didn't work out, did make me appreciate a paycheck, support teams, and business hours though.

Best of luck with the job.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Good luck.
    Everybody deserves to enjoy themselves....
    Even at work
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Good on you for giving the "self-employed" a try.
    Whatever is next, all the best and may you still be smiling on the way home each day.

Riding to/from work certainly helps set you up for a good day...

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    In summary, some people are good at being self employed contractors, and some not so much. I'm not so much.

You don't realise the benefits of being employed by someone until you don't have those benefits. Like Kiwisaver contributions. Like paid annual leave. Like having colleagues to bounce ideas off. The psycho-social aspect of work is often underrated.

Just now, if I get sick and can't work, I don't get paid. What that leads to is me going to work when I'm crook as a dog. I had to excuse myself from a client one day about a year ago so I could go and vomit, then return to continue with the lesson. That started me thinking.
    Snap... I took a break from truck driving where I was doing 70 hours a week and branched into photography and writing for couple years... Everyone always said my material was awesome... but getting people to buy stuff is a different art altogether. Infact if being self employed I think having the gift of the gab to sell the sizzle not the stake needs to be a primary attribute... Also forcing creativity out instead of doing it because you like it is different too.... Having two motorbikes and two mountain bikes in the shed didn't help on sunny days either.... On a good day I was earning $1000 day for magazine work... but the down time inbetween work is depressing... but your always chasing whats just around the corner....
    Anyway three years ago I decided to go back to working for someone else in logistics industry, got a job at my first choice of employer who've been awesome and I've recently stepped up into big gear I'd thought I'd never get a chance at using, better money and work conditions than I've ever had plus bonuses and training/upskilling always....

I blame Rossi though... an ex girlfriend gave me his book "What if I never tried"....

Yeah the injury thing is a major, even I little thing like a dislocated toe at martial arts club, hobbling around on a job just doesn't look professional.... Now I have over 20 unused sick days, my work ethic means I turn up unless I'm literally dying lol....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Thread Information