Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiwibike insurance review

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST

Kiwibike insurance review

I consider insurance to be a fairly important part of owning a bike. Most of the time I just pay the premiums and have peace of mind. I haven't had much call to use the other side of insurance.

We were, until recently, a 2 bike household. She had a 2006 GSX750F worth about $8,000 and I had a 1998 Ducati 600ss worth about $6,000. She was insured fully comp to ride her bike and I was insured to ride both bikes fully comp. All purchased through Kiwibike Insurance. So far so good.

We sold her bike to pay off a home improvement loan. It got collected on the Saturday - I was out riding my bike when it got collected and had fun : she looked after the children at home.

On Sunday she was sad that she didn't have a bike so I said - go have a ride on the Ducati - it will cheer you up. Winston came round and offered to accompany my wife on a short ride - about 120kms. I looked after the children and took them to Teretonga to watch the bikes at a track day.

My wife had a great trip and then binned the bike in the driveway. Munted the bike and herself pretty badly. We could have said I was riding. We didn't. We could have got her named on the insurance on the Monday and pretended she had binned the bike after that day. We didn't. We called the insurance broker on Monday and said:
    "I'd like to cancel my policy for the GSX750F please"
    "Sure, can I ask why?"
    "We sold it"
    "Cool"
    "I'd like to cancel my insurance for the 600ss please"
    "Why would you like to cancel that policy"
    "Coz the missus binned it and there's not really enough of it left to insure"
    "I see. Why aren't you making a claim?"
    "Coz she's not insured to ried the small, lightweight, gutless, cheaper bike. She was only insured to ride the bigger, heavier, more valuable bike"

So policies cancelled I looked to see what could be done....of course looking at the state of the finances the expression "Streetfighter" leapt irresistably to mind.

Anyway I searched Trademe and bike wreckers and made phone calls and gradually got some pretty sharp prices for bits of the bike and sent some of the fairings in to get repared and resprayed meanwhile Dave from Kiwibike calls back and reckons we should lodge a claim anyway since we are decent customers he reckoned Swann migh cut us a wee break for being honest.

so we lodge a claim, Swann considered it and called me back to say "How much are these repairs costing you?" I gave them the cost and they said "Cool, we'll pop that into your bank account on Monday less your excess - thanks for your honesty - enjoy your bike."

So we got paid out despite not actually being entitled to a payout and I just got the last parts back from the panel beaters today.

Now to put the jigsaw puzzle back together again.
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    Lil Tricycle
    Mate Dave's a decent bloke and very helpful, good story and nice to hear some reasonable people do exist. I know he's had a long and good relationship with Swan.

G0o0d and you's. Howz the project going?

Bike
    2003,Kawasaki ZX-9R
    Hey thats great news.Glad to hear honesty actually occasionally pays off,everytime (read always honest) I've been honest I've just been shafted more.So who are you insured with Swann?
    Hope your other half is mending well and that the streetfighter is coming along.

Bike
    None at the moment
    hey man...good to hear a good outcome...so they are worth it as far as insurance is concerned...(my bike aint on road yet)

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Just finished putting the bike back together. The knock seemed to create a bit of a leak from the engine so I took the left hand engine cover off tonight too. Ckeaned the mating surfaces took out the old gasket (which had some gaps in it) and used some liquid gasket stuff and re-assembled.

I have put the fairings on - she's now back ready to ride and shinier than ever - I''ll probably take some pictures over the weekend.

Too dark now. Off to bed. Last day at work tomorrow.
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    tedium
    That's amazing news Jim. Insurance offering to pay out even when you're not making a claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickha
    Fuck off, cheese has no place in pies
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle
    i would could and can, put a fat fuck down with a bit of brass.

Bike
    07 GIXXER 75OOOHHHH
    Good old Dave,never met him but each time I call for info he is brilliant to deal with,the next bike will be insured through him,great story and result.Usually the insurance company will worm out at any cost,and this wasn't the case here and was warranted.
    Hello officer put it on my tab

Don't steal the government hates competition.

Bike
    SV 650 Racer
    Shot Dave from Kiwibike Insurance - Nice work!!!!

I'm with Kiwibike insurance to - Good bunch of people
    It's better to Burn out than to Fade away - Cause thats value for money!!

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    I second the good comments about Dave at Kiwibike.

And that's a great story, McJim - restores one's faith in the humanity of insurance companies, doesn't it?
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    restores one's faith in the humanity of insurance companies, doesn't it?
    No, it keeps my faith in Kiwibike.

State can go get fucked.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX View Post
    No, it keeps my faith in Kiwibike.

State can go get fucked.
    Kiwibike and Swann, that is. Although I've had excellent service from Star, too.

I agree re. State. A friend of mine is getting royally fucked over by them right now. I will never buy a policy from them, ever.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    2005 GSXR750
    It was nice of you to take the time to post that story, McJim. Thanks for a good read. Insurance companies are usually only involved in bad stories.

Sorry Mrs McJim got hurt, though. I hope she is doing okay, too.

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by McJim View Post
    My wife had a great trip and then binned the bike in the driveway. Munted the bike and herself pretty badly.
    Hope she's healing up ok!

My experience with Kiwibike has been great. Although I haven't made a claim I've always got the feeling if I need to they'll be really good to deal with.

Bike
    750 auw
    That really is O for Osome. Nice one Kiwibike and Swann.

So Osome in fact that I've decided to go for a ride right now.
    Hope I dont have to call you.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Will give Kiwibike a ring and insure my bike..............
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Thread Information