Thread: 2003 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Will Not Start

Bike
    Suzuki boulevard

2003 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Will Not Start

I have a 2003 Suzuki Boulevard S40 with ~70,000 miles that will not start.

I had been driving quite a ways (80 miles to work and back) a few times a month for about two months. I noticed it was going through oil pretty quickly (noticed via loud valves/engine operation) and added oil (about a quart), which quieted it back down to normal sounding operation.

The next time I rode it, I warmed it up and took off. Initially, going down the street it died while coasting to the street light, so I restarted it and kept going. After continued riding, I noticed somewhat random hesitation and loss of power under load; not quite sputtering, but cut offs in power that increasing revs seemed to mitigate. I hopped onto a main thoroughfare and got to highway speed and cruised for a few miles, with everything seeming fine. After a few minutes, it started to hesitate again going up a slight hill and then died all together. I tried starting in neutral while coasting to a stop, to no avail. I pulled off to the side of the road and continued to try and start it, with no luck.

Currently, the starter will attempt to start, but it sounds strange, louder and almost like a whirring/scraping, definitely not normal like it used to.

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction toward diagnosis

Thanks in advance.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwramos View Post

I had been driving quite a ways (80 miles to work and back) a few times a month for about two months. I noticed it was going through oil pretty quickly (noticed via loud valves/engine operation) and added oil (about a quart), which quieted it back down to normal sounding operation.

The next time I rode it, I warmed it up and took off. Initially, going down the street it died while coasting to the street light, so I restarted it and kept going. After continued riding, I noticed somewhat random hesitation and loss of power under load; not quite sputtering, but cut offs in power that increasing revs seemed to mitigate. I hopped onto a main thoroughfare and got to highway speed and cruised for a few miles, with everything seeming fine. After a few minutes, it started to hesitate again going up a slight hill and then died all together. I tried starting in neutral while coasting to a stop, to no avail. I pulled off to the side of the road and continued to try and start it, with no luck.

Currently, the starter will attempt to start, but it sounds strange, louder and almost like a whirring/scraping, definitely not normal like it used to.

Thanks in advance.
    You do realise you are asking a bunch of New Zealanders about your bike in California, dont you?
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    How's the weather?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwramos View Post

Thanks in advance.
    Send it over here and we'll take a look at it ...

Seriously though ... check your compression. Expect double digit readings if you're lucky.

Even more seriously ... "noticing" it's going through oil pretty quickly ... and then ignoring the issue ... is not a good idea. The chances of the issue going away is remote. Continuing to try and start it ... and expecting a different result is pretty stupid.

Waiting until it needed a quart (.95 of a liter) is even stupider ... but that is just my opinion. Other opinions may vary ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information