Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 61

Thread: Counties Manukau Police advice on lane splitting

  1. #46
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Location
    Papakowhai
    Posts
    4,162
    Quote Originally Posted by KezzaCFC View Post
    A bit of advise from a north cantab
    I've just started riding to work from Tram Road each day. Traffic on Marshlands Road is bad, can I use the shoulder to cruise passed?
    Legally yes, but only if the traffic is stationary. If its moving at all you can't overtake on the left.

    The shoulder is not considered a separate lane, so can't be used for overtaking on the left.

    Never mind the fact that it's dangerous.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    3rd May 2016 - 17:36
    Bike
    Ninja 300
    Location
    Cheech
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Legally yes, but only if the traffic is stationary. If its moving at all you can't overtake on the left.

    The shoulder is not considered a separate lane, so can't be used for overtaking on the left.

    Never mind the fact that it's dangerous.
    Thanks, yeah was a bit suspect on the safety aspect of it.
    Coming from Auckland, I've noticed a lot of motorcyclists down here like to use the cycle lanes.
    And bus lanes okay down here right?

  3. #48
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Location
    Papakowhai
    Posts
    4,162
    Quote Originally Posted by KezzaCFC View Post
    Thanks, yeah was a bit suspect on the safety aspect of it.
    Coming from Auckland, I've noticed a lot of motorcyclists down here like to use the cycle lanes.
    And bus lanes okay down here right?
    Bus lanes are able to be used by buses, motorcycles, mopeds and cyclists. E.g, the one by Smiths Hire, just past the Old Waimak Bridge, on Main North Road, before it turns in Marshlands Road at Chaneys Corner.

    You are also allowed to go when the B traffic light appears, as long as you are legally using the bus lane.

    Just remember that 2 to 3 times each week in Chch a motorcyclist or cyclist gets cleaned up going up the left side of a line of cars, by a vehicle turning through a gap in that line of cars. Whether you are doing it legally or illegally makes no difference. Going up the left puts you in a place where people aren't expecting you to be, so they likely won't see you.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Location
    Papakowhai
    Posts
    4,162

  5. #50
    Join Date
    30th June 2011 - 14:30
    Bike
    2005 triumph Sprint
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand,
    Posts
    682
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    My point was: I filter lots. Seriously, large amounts of filtering and pootle to the head of the queue all the time.
    When I'm driving the car, I have to resist the temptation to "head for the gap" and filter...
    Well, until I get my dream vehicle which is a monster truck snowplough with the > shaped front on it!

    Somehow I missed that point. I blame it on old age.

    I drive a honda Edix... I am quite tempted to use it like a snowplow.
    To disagree with three-fourths of the [..] public is one of the first requisites of sanity. - Oscar Wilde
    ZRXOA Member #9170

  6. #51
    Join Date
    3rd May 2016 - 17:36
    Bike
    Ninja 300
    Location
    Cheech
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Bus lanes are able to be used by buses, motorcycles, mopeds and cyclists. E.g, the one by Smiths Hire, just past the Old Waimak Bridge, on Main North Road, before it turns in Marshlands Road at Chaneys Corner.

    You are also allowed to go when the B traffic light appears, as long as you are legally using the bus lane.

    Just remember that 2 to 3 times each week in Chch a motorcyclist or cyclist gets cleaned up going up the left side of a line of cars, by a vehicle turning through a gap in that line of cars. Whether you are doing it legally or illegally makes no difference. Going up the left puts you in a place where people aren't expecting you to be, so they likely won't see you.
    Thought as much, cheers for that.
    Bit off topic but, in terms of road conditions, winters coming up. Do roads like Tram Road tend to ice up in the morning? Or they usually pretty good?

  7. #52
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Location
    Papakowhai
    Posts
    4,162
    Quote Originally Posted by KezzaCFC View Post
    Thought as much, cheers for that.
    Bit off topic but, in terms of road conditions, winters coming up. Do roads like Tram Road tend to ice up in the morning? Or they usually pretty good?
    I don't use Tram Road. I use Lineside Road. There's a bit just before the motorway that is the low point of that road, and that's where the winter is coldest. I can leave home and it's zero, and it'll drop 2 degrees before I get to the motorway, then go back to zero.

    Bridges are generally the worst for ice, as they are cold underneath as well as on top.

    Given that we are going out on tangents, I fancy Sandra Bullock.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    6th May 2012 - 10:41
    Bike
    invisibike
    Location
    pulling a sick mono
    Posts
    6,057
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Given that we are going out on tangents, I fancy Sandra Bullock.
    really?


    i mean. i'd give her one... but as an actress she's pretty shit.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    6th June 2008 - 17:24
    Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Location
    Behind keybd in The Tron
    Posts
    6,475
    Seems to me that pretty much all the advice offered in this thread, is something we should do every time we ride a motorcycle. Basic safety practices.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

  10. #55
    Join Date
    6th June 2008 - 17:24
    Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Location
    Behind keybd in The Tron
    Posts
    6,475
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    ...I fancy Sandra Bullock.
    Do ya just...yeah, I quite like her...hur...er I mean... her too!
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

  11. #56
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    5,002
    Quote Originally Posted by KezzaCFC View Post
    Thought as much, cheers for that.
    Bit off topic but, in terms of road conditions, winters coming up. Do roads like Tram Road tend to ice up in the morning? Or they usually pretty good?
    The long straight roads going east-west in canty are very prone to icing up on the North side. Which is your side going in to town...
    Any area with trees shading the road will ice up readily. Look for the long lasting damp patches on your route about now - they'll be ice in winter.
    And be aware if you're out on the plains, water cooled bikes can get damaged if you've not used good antifreeze...Even in a closed garage....

  12. #57
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Location
    Papakowhai
    Posts
    4,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    really?


    i mean. i'd give her one... but as an actress she's pretty shit.
    Yes, marks out of 10, I'd give her 1.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    7th December 2007 - 12:09
    Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    2,145
    Bullocks......!!!!
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

  14. #59
    Join Date
    3rd May 2016 - 17:36
    Bike
    Ninja 300
    Location
    Cheech
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    The long straight roads going east-west in canty are very prone to icing up on the North side. Which is your side going in to town...
    Any area with trees shading the road will ice up readily. Look for the long lasting damp patches on your route about now - they'll be ice in winter.
    And be aware if you're out on the plains, water cooled bikes can get damaged if you've not used good antifreeze...Even in a closed garage....
    Thanks for that! Hoping as Tram Road is pretty busy relative to other rural roads that that cars will do a good job of de-icing.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    3rd May 2016 - 17:36
    Bike
    Ninja 300
    Location
    Cheech
    Posts
    63

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •