Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Counties Manukau Police advice on lane splitting

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by KezzaCFC View Post
    A bit of advise from a north cantab
    I've just started riding to work from Tram Road each day. Traffic on Marshlands Road is bad, can I use the shoulder to cruise passed?
    Legally yes, but only if the traffic is stationary. If its moving at all you can't overtake on the left.

The shoulder is not considered a separate lane, so can't be used for overtaking on the left.

Never mind the fact that it's dangerous.

Bike
    Ninja 300
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Legally yes, but only if the traffic is stationary. If its moving at all you can't overtake on the left.

The shoulder is not considered a separate lane, so can't be used for overtaking on the left.

Never mind the fact that it's dangerous.
    Thanks, yeah was a bit suspect on the safety aspect of it.
    Coming from Auckland, I've noticed a lot of motorcyclists down here like to use the cycle lanes.
    And bus lanes okay down here right?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Thanks, yeah was a bit suspect on the safety aspect of it.
    Coming from Auckland, I've noticed a lot of motorcyclists down here like to use the cycle lanes.
    And bus lanes okay down here right?
    Bus lanes are able to be used by buses, motorcycles, mopeds and cyclists. E.g, the one by Smiths Hire, just past the Old Waimak Bridge, on Main North Road, before it turns in Marshlands Road at Chaneys Corner.

You are also allowed to go when the B traffic light appears, as long as you are legally using the bus lane.

Just remember that 2 to 3 times each week in Chch a motorcyclist or cyclist gets cleaned up going up the left side of a line of cars, by a vehicle turning through a gap in that line of cars. Whether you are doing it legally or illegally makes no difference. Going up the left puts you in a place where people aren't expecting you to be, so they likely won't see you.

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    My point was: I filter lots. Seriously, large amounts of filtering and pootle to the head of the queue all the time.
    When I'm driving the car, I have to resist the temptation to "head for the gap" and filter...
    Well, until I get my dream vehicle which is a monster truck snowplough with the > shaped front on it!

Somehow I missed that point. I blame it on old age.

I drive a honda Edix... I am quite tempted to use it like a snowplow.
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    Ninja 300
    Bus lanes are able to be used by buses, motorcycles, mopeds and cyclists. E.g, the one by Smiths Hire, just past the Old Waimak Bridge, on Main North Road, before it turns in Marshlands Road at Chaneys Corner.

You are also allowed to go when the B traffic light appears, as long as you are legally using the bus lane.

Just remember that 2 to 3 times each week in Chch a motorcyclist or cyclist gets cleaned up going up the left side of a line of cars, by a vehicle turning through a gap in that line of cars. Whether you are doing it legally or illegally makes no difference. Going up the left puts you in a place where people aren't expecting you to be, so they likely won't see you.
    Thought as much, cheers for that.
    Bit off topic but, in terms of road conditions, winters coming up. Do roads like Tram Road tend to ice up in the morning? Or they usually pretty good?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Bit off topic but, in terms of road conditions, winters coming up. Do roads like Tram Road tend to ice up in the morning? Or they usually pretty good?
    I don't use Tram Road. I use Lineside Road. There's a bit just before the motorway that is the low point of that road, and that's where the winter is coldest. I can leave home and it's zero, and it'll drop 2 degrees before I get to the motorway, then go back to zero.

Bridges are generally the worst for ice, as they are cold underneath as well as on top.

Given that we are going out on tangents, I fancy Sandra Bullock.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Given that we are going out on tangents, I fancy Sandra Bullock.
    really?

i mean. i'd give her one... but as an actress she's pretty shit.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Seems to me that pretty much all the advice offered in this thread, is something we should do every time we ride a motorcycle. Basic safety practices.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    ...I fancy Sandra Bullock.
    Do ya just...yeah, I quite like her...hur...er I mean... her too!
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Exercycle
    The long straight roads going east-west in canty are very prone to icing up on the North side. Which is your side going in to town...
    Any area with trees shading the road will ice up readily. Look for the long lasting damp patches on your route about now - they'll be ice in winter.
    And be aware if you're out on the plains, water cooled bikes can get damaged if you've not used good antifreeze...Even in a closed garage....

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    really?

i mean. i'd give her one... but as an actress she's pretty shit.
    Yes, marks out of 10, I'd give her 1.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Bullocks......!!!!
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Ninja 300
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    The long straight roads going east-west in canty are very prone to icing up on the North side. Which is your side going in to town...
    Any area with trees shading the road will ice up readily. Look for the long lasting damp patches on your route about now - they'll be ice in winter.
    And be aware if you're out on the plains, water cooled bikes can get damaged if you've not used good antifreeze...Even in a closed garage....
    Thanks for that! Hoping as Tram Road is pretty busy relative to other rural roads that that cars will do a good job of de-icing.

Bike
    Ninja 300

Thread Information