Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot tips

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    Heated grips: bloody luxury! Actually I think they're more of a safety feature. Way before the fingers freeze solid, the pain is distracting and the grip gets weak. Movement slows, so reaction time and breaking distance extends -
    Exactly right. No fun trying to indicate if you can't feel the button due to a numb thumb.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Tips:

Heated grips don't make sense until you've got them and then you wonder why you didn't earlier

An on-bike toolkit with puncture repair goodies also doesn't make sense until it's needed

Good tyres permit good riding and are much cheaper than crash repairs and insurance premium increases

DIY cleaning and basic servicing means you notice problems with your bike early

Cleaning and oiling a chain? NEVER start the engine, sprockets just love to grab rags, fingers, hands etc

Track days will show you just how much your bike can do

Training makes your riding more fun, not less

Paper maps rule in back country NZ

Find good riding mates and keep them

There are fast riders, drunk riders, and old riders... it's not often you see fast drunk old riders

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post

There are fast riders, drunk riders, and old riders... it's not often you see fast drunk old riders
    HOLD MY BEER while I demonstrate..... hic*
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    HOLD MY BEER while I demonstrate..... hic*
    Chortle.

Here's a tip. "Keep medicines in a high cabinet away from children."

I used to say that when people asked for a warning, instead of the ticket I was writing them. Might be time to revive it.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L

One Man Brake Bleeding Kits

Maybe you guys have been doing this with a kit for years, but seeing I've been around a long time I'd always bled my brakes (bike and car) by getting my darling wife to take care of the pumping the brake lever/pedal while I operated the undoing and doing up of the bleed nipple at each cycle. I happened to notice a cheap One Man Brake Bleeding Kit in Supercheap Auto last time I was there so bought one. Didn't know they existed until then but thought the service shops did this with some flash bit of gear.

T
    his week I've used it to bleed all the brakes on my VFR750F. I flushed new fluid through both front disc and the back disc bleeder nipples.

The thing works a treat and it does it all with gravity but you can pump the lever to hurry things along. Just watch and keep topping up the master cylinder.

So a helpful hot tip, if you don't have one of these or have never used one, get one, they save a lot of time and effort. Less than $15 too.

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/Product/SCA-Brake-Clutch-Bleeder-One-Man/291149

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180321_125238.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	469.9 KB 
ID:	335833  
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Oh ... yeah. Puncture repair kit in a can. 'Tyre Pando'. Inflates the tyre and seals the hole at the same time. A tad messy for the poor chap who eventually changes the tyre but it will get you home.
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...de-repair-kits.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    Maybe you guys have been doing this with a kit for years, but seeing I've been around a long time I'd always bled my brakes (bike and car) by getting my darling wife to take care of the pumping the brake lever/pedal while I operated the undoing and doing up of the bleed nipple at each cycle. I happened to notice a cheap One Man Brake Bleeding Kit in Supercheap Auto last time I was there so bought one. Didn't know they existed until then but thought the service shops did this with some flash bit of gear.

T
    his week I've used it to bleed all the brakes on my VFR750F. I flushed new fluid through both front disc and the back disc bleeder nipples.

The thing works a treat and it does it all with gravity but you can pump the lever to hurry things along. Just watch and keep topping up the master cylinder.

So a helpful hot tip, if you don't have one of these or have never used one, get one, they save a lot of time and effort. Less than $15 too.

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/Product/SCA-Brake-Clutch-Bleeder-One-Man/291149

I just back bleed ie push air where it wants to go (which is up) using a syringe
    Husabergs and KTMs come with them std except they have a hose and screw in nipple as well.
    if you have a KTM 50 or a MTB the syringe is about the only way of doing it as they don't normaly have bleed nipples.

Vets also hage huge syringes ie over 100ml and are great for premix as well as fork oil etc, Cheap as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Oh ... yeah. Puncture repair kit in a can. 'Tyre Pando'. Inflates the tyre and seals the hole at the same time. A tad messy for the poor chap who eventually changes the tyre but it will get you home.
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...de-repair-kits.
    Outdated now....this is the stuff to treat your tires too and doesn't make a shit mess like Tire Slime either

Ride-On TPS

http://www.ride-on.com/

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Leaves on the road are slippery...
    Not just leaves...

all those little twiggy bits that come off trees after a bit of a blow make for an unsure footing.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Never try to clean your visor dry. You'll smear the bug brains and leave microscopic scratches on the surface of the plastic that catch the sun, turning it into a kaleidoscope and eventually going cloudy. Even going gentle with a clean rag or tissue is best avoided except as a last resort in dire emergencies.

Clean water and ordinary bathroom soap applied with bare fingers works wonders. Wash your hands first to be sure you're not gritty. You'll feel any bug lumps: take your time, the water will soften and loosen them. The soap should dissolve any oil or light grease, and lubricate the cleaning action.

And be real careful drying it - a few light pats with a towel maybe, or just air dry if the water is soft.

Oh and don't forget to clean the inside too, just as carefully.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Outdated now....this is the stuff to treat your tires too and doesn't make a shit mess like Tire Slime either

Ride-On TPS

http://www.ride-on.com/
    Do any of these type of products work on tubed tyres (in an emergency)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Do any of these type of products work on tubed tyres (in an emergency)
    Back in the 80s I was running Tyre Slime in bikes with tubed tyres though it was always put in when new tyres were fitted. It can be added anytime during the life of a tire but as a an emergency fix on the side of the road it'd be like closing the gate after the horse has bolted.
    Once applied to a tire it's there in a fluid state until a puncture happens, the tire looses a bit of pressure until the fluid solidifies but it alleviates the need to carry puncture repair kits or tyre pandas.
    The Ride-on TPS has the highest speed rating of all the brands like OKO & Tyre Slime and because it's a different composition too doesn't get anywhere as messy and I know for a fact Tyre Slime & OKO make a shit of a mess on tubeless rims and on tubed wheels you do a tire & tube at replacement time.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Tyre Slime & OKO make a shit of a mess at replacement time.
    Sure do, my tyre guy was a bit grumpy when I forgot to tell him one time. I knew he was grumpy 'cos there was no discount that day for being a good customer...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Sure do, my tyre guy was a bit grumpy when I forgot to tell him one time. I knew he was grumpy 'cos there was no discount that day for being a good customer...
    Yeah it's bastard stuff....worst thing is you're running against the clock soon as the tire comes off the rim because it starts to solidify and it gets everywhere

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Heated grips are more efficient if you add off road style hand guards. Prevents the palm being hot while the finger tips are still cold.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Thread Information