Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Honda CB1000R

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    The initial comments from journos are good but then they should be, the comments were made while enjoying Honda hospitality at the launch. The looks aren't too bad, except for the can and that headlight.
    I guess the new technology in lighting will produce some odd looking lamps in the next wee while.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2015 f800gt
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    sounds like its catching up to many bikes in the late 90s? (I guess its a major feat when you look at the restrictions in place to pass emissions) wonder if it has the same drive train that kicked off all those pro bikers with neutral selection at high speed
    Would an ecu reflash/swap make a significant different to increase power at the cost of emissions?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
    Would an ecu reflash/swap make a significant different to increase power at the cost of emissions?
    I put a Power Commander in my Hornet and had a custom map done on AMPS dyno and that was a significant improvement. It made the throttle less snatchy at low speed and it pulled harder at higher revs.
    There was no loss of mid range which can happen if efforts are made to increase power. That would have ruined the bike.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2015 f800gt
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I put a Power Commander in my Hornet and had a custom map done on AMPS dyno and that was a significant improvement. It made the throttle less snatchy at low speed and it pulled harder at higher revs.
    There was no loss of mid range which can happen if efforts are made to increase power. That would have ruined the bike.
    Thanks for that, what sort of cash would that be? My dad did similar with his bmw - the emissions stuff in 1st gear made it jerky. Ive only been riding for about 8 months but i notice it in 1st on my r3 as well. jerky at a certain rev range which i assume is where they do the emissions test.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for that, what sort of cash would that be? My dad did similar with his bmw - the emissions stuff in 1st gear made it jerky. Ive only been riding for about 8 months but i notice it in 1st on my r3 as well. jerky at a certain rev range which i assume is where they do the emissions test.
    It was over ten years ago so who knows? Back than there was a KBer, Lou, working at AMPS at the time and who was very helpful. He's long gone.

Emissions testing is too complicated, and continually changing, so beware uninformed comment. In your case I'd just ride the bike and live with the shortcomings. When you are up for big money on a big bike then maybe look at changing things. Genarally though, upgrades don't come cheap.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    A power commander around $400 USD - if you want a custom map done it's on top. And really you want the custom map. Buy the Commander in NZ, have it fitted and mapped on a dyno - last time I asked (a few years back on a different bike) it was shy of a grand.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...a-r3-2015-2017

Bike
    2015 f800gt
    Thanks for the info. Appreciated. Apologies for the thread derail.

Bike
    my little pony
    Sounds like the fueling/throttle problem sames as Gsx1000-s, google and you may find a cheaper fix.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    bettter name than the Predator which was the name they called the second iteration after the HOrnet. That they wanted $20+ k for.
    Yeah, you marvel at the train of thought that got them to the $20K+ price bracket, 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Then ran them out for a excellent value $15k......

You'd think this new one would be priced smack on the Suzuki thou equivalent ($17-18). But that would presume that Blue Wing did some research ....

Honda NEED a good naked like this in NZ to get some sales back. I'd say F-it, and market it at a killer price to get buyers back in the doors.
    You'd think that, I'd think that, anyone else in touch with reality would think that....however, this is Blue Wing we are talking about

This bike:

Way overdue....typical.

Will have less technology/bells and whistles than it's competitors.

Will be more expensive than it's competitors.

1L Naked Sports market....just a quick search pricing in the UK is £13K, so already more expensive than the BMW S1000R in the same market. I know which one I'd rather buy. Being Honda NZ with their head in the sand, they will come up with a laughable price tag and wonder why it doesn't sell. Like the Predator (ridiculous name) that was double the Hornet's price tag with virtually negligible real-world performance difference.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Being Honda NZ with their head in the sand, they will come up with a laughable price tag and wonder why it doesn't sell. Like the Predator (ridiculous name) that was double the Hornet's price tag with virtually negligible real-world performance difference.
    At the end, the CB919 was selling for $10-11k, but when it first went on sale, I think it was more like $14-15k. Then towards the end of life it became a bargain... like most Hondas
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    At the end, the CB919 was selling for $10-11k, but when it first went on sale, I think it was more like $14-15k. Then towards the end of life it became a bargain... like most Hondas
    Spot on. I picked my 919 new in 07 for $9999. Previously $15!

The Predator was the same - $20 down to $14something in the end.

Honda had huge discounts off random year brand new CBR1000's some years back - basically stock that was sitting and a next gen was due. They were so cheap. I considered getting one and making it naked - they went faster than I could commit

Suzuki do the Summerfest every year and if you don;t have to have the latest year model you'll pick up some good buying.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Looking at a Aussie bike mag at lunchtime today I see the CB is within a few hundred dollars of the GSX-s 1000 Suzuki in Aussie.

Mid $16k if I remember, the Z1000 was about $500 dearer.

Meanwhile in New Zealand

Suzuki is $17k

Z900 $15,800

Z1000 $17k

Honda $20k

Bluewing do it again - take a great bike and apply a 'Honda' tax

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Saw the new 'old' retro Z900. Very nice on the eyes. Still a bit pricey though.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Yeah, nice bikes, - $20 & $21,500 for the cafe.

Root-beer and orange would have to be the colour pick.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Theres a green one with a white stripe that I lust after.

But honestly I am really liking my 1974 CB750 and thinking if I want something else one of those CB1100s at the right price might be the go
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information