Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Considering A K1600GTL

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by ruaphu View Post
    The every thirty thou major check/replacement of the shims in the rocker gear, a very long and costly job to that requires most of the front end to be removed to access the SOB’s. Mate has one, was somewhat shocked it took most of the day to do.

So whats a bike mech charge these days, near on a hundy an hour, approx 7 hour job just for shim check, fark that.

The thing is full of electronics and Bmw ain’t no reliability saint in that dept. even the dam headlight has its own ‘brain’ to keep it flat etc.

Just appears to be a long term misery money pit....... just like their four legged versions............ dogs

Just sayin

Perhaps better to wait for the 2018 goldwing, it would be bullet proof and mop the floor with the beemer in every way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    hayabusa .

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    The every thirty thou major check/replacement of the shims in the rocker gear, a very long and costly job to that requires most of the front end to be removed to access the SOB’s. Mate has one, was somewhat shocked it took most of the day to do.

So whats a bike mech charge these days, near on a hundy an hour, approx 7 hour job just for shim check, fark that.

The thing is full of electronics and Bmw ain’t no reliability saint in that dept. even the dam headlight has its own ‘brain’ to keep it flat etc.

Just sayin

This information, which sounds informed, might just be a deal breaker.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    even the dam headlight has its own ‘brain’ to keep it flat etc.
    The clever headlight brain really works - it's actually only the low beam reflector that moves (stays level) when the bike is banked. In the first photo, the top bike is my R1200GSA on high beam (both high and low beams lit) and the lower bike is the K1600GT (not GTL, but probably the same) also on high beam, both photos with the same camera settings. A marked difference in illumination, particularly where you need it most, 'around the bend', without the sharp cut-off that is so frustrating. Also, note the intensity of the K's high beam spot on the hillside. They're pretty good lights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1200 and 1600 lights.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	335892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BMW K1600GT.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	434.1 KB 
ID:	335893  

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    This information, which sounds informed, might just be a deal breaker.
    Pretty well all the late model fours are the same. Difficult access comes with the layout. 30 thou KM is also about right for most of them now.
    How quick do you clock up the K's ?

Bloody oils are getting beyond a joke. Local garage did an oil change on a late model car - and finished up being sued when it went tits up cos they didn't use the correct brand of oil. Right viscosity and quantity - and full synth as specified. Wrong brand. Turned out it was only available via the car agency - and cos they weren't going to do the change they priced it out of the range of the small workshop. Small claims split it 50/50 luckily.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Pretty well all the late model fours are the same. Difficult access comes with the layout. 30 thou KM is also about right for most of them now.
    How quick do you clock up the K's ?

Bloody oils are getting beyond a joke. Local garage did an oil change on a late model car - and finished up being sued when it went tits up cos they didn't use the correct brand of oil. Right viscosity and quantity - and full synth as specified. Wrong brand. Turned out it was only available via the car agency - and cos they weren't going to do the change they priced it out of the range of the small workshop. Small claims split it 50/50 luckily.
    While I've been working I'm clocking up maybe 40000 km per year. This is spread across two bikes.

Now that I'm moving on to another job, my mileage will plummet.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    re the farkles giving problems, it's basically a conundrum.

You get a bike with lots of toys, and enjoy them. Then they go wrong, and you go get a bike without all the toys. And you miss them.

I love my RT. All the factory toys. It's old generation, it's a DOHC, pre LC.

The GTL has a generation ahead of my RT. Toys for Africa. I'll need to consider the toys when I do make the final call. And what might go wrong.

There';s a comment above about BMW tech stuff going wrong. I've had a few, and few have gone wrong.

Bike
    Big money wasters
    The new RT /LC has enough toys and is pretty well sorted , My one has not given much trouble at all with 56ks on it now.
    New ones are Going out the door at $32500 at present , buy one now claim the GST and deprecation for the last year for a new vehicle . If you wind the books up later on pay the GST back on a wholesale valuation later on for a used bike.
    Make the self employed part work for You before becoming another Council employee again.
    You would love the current RT . Tell the Dealer You no there is new model coming.
    Paradise Tours might have some 2016/17 models coming up for sale , let Me know if interested,
    And I can check for You.

Bike
    KTM
    what's the point in a bike like that in NZ? you could do a lap of either island and the bike would only just be warming up?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    what's the point in a bike like that in NZ? you could do a lap of either island and the bike would only just be warming up?
    To be fair, there are a lot of bikes in NZ which are pointless. Our open road speed limit is 100, but there are R1s, Fireblades, and Hayabusas.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    To be fair, there are a lot of bikes in NZ which are pointless. Our open road speed limit is 100, but there are R1s, Fireblades, and Hayabusas.
    Good point. And you can slap ya deposit down now for a 200 plus hp V4 Ducati - the power wars are heating up.

I received a e-mail from Casbolts - they have a new VFR800 on special at $17. Strikes me as a fine touring bike for NZ roads.

And I spy a really low km 2013 version on TM for $12

You could buy two bikes for the cost of a big rig BMW

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Good point. And you can slap ya deposit down now for a 200 plus hp V4 Ducati - the power wars are heating up.

I received a e-mail from Casbolts - they have a new VFR800 on special at $17. Strikes me as a fine touring bike for NZ roads.

And I spy a really low km 2013 version on TM for $12

You could buy two bikes for the cost of a big rig BMW
    Funny, that's the issue. I have an F800 and the R1200. Thats two bikes to licence, insure, garage. Its been fine when I did it for a job, but I'm moving on and I dont want two bikes to look after any more.

I'd be keen on a VFR1200 if it had full factory luggage. I like the look of them.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Funny, that's the issue. I have an F800 and the R1200. Thats two bikes to licence, insure, garage. Its been fine when I did it for a job, but I'm moving on and I dont want two bikes to look after any more.

I'd be keen on a VFR1200 if it had full factory luggage. I like the look of them.

Darn - you have 'good' problems!

PS - it's so much easier for us to spend your money BMW appears to be in your DNA now, it could be a lot worse.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Hayabusa's are never pointless. Ever. The end.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    Hayabusa's are never pointless. Ever. The end.

I'm interested to see the new generation one late this year (2019 model) as it will be the 20th anniversary.

Suzukis concept release does not give much away other than a slimmer more up-to-date look (thank god).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki-Concept-GSX-hi-res.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	335901  

Thread Information