Thread: Home Security

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    you forgot to put in a panic room...sounds like you need it

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking01 View Post
    , I'd be on the phone to central Lower Hutt Police logging a burglary in progress. They're
    only 5-10 minutes away.

Cheers,
    Viking
    And (from experience) LH police will give you an insurance claim reference number and an explanation (if pressed) of why they're too busy to attend.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    you forgot to put in a panic room...sounds like you need it
    Yes, I know it probably sounds a little OTT, but it offers comprehensive coverage
    and it all works nicely. Still do need to do the occasional test, just to make sure all
    is working properly.

So, no need for panic. All under control - as much as reasonably can be ...... 8-)

Haven't had to test out Lower Hutt Police response as yet. As Peter376403 did
    mention..... 8-)

Cheers,
    Viking

P.S. Forgot to mention in the earlier post that when they broke into the house,
    they didn't steal any of my stereo gear, but they did cause some damage to it
    in the process (which really annoyed the hell out of me ..... 8-(

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking01 View Post
    Yes, I know it probably sounds a little OTT, but it offers comprehensive coverage
    and it all works nicely. Still do need to do the occasional test, just to make sure all
    is working properly.

So, no need for panic. All under control - as much as reasonably can be ...... 8-)

Haven't had to test out Lower Hutt Police response as yet. As Peter376403 did
    mention..... 8-)

Cheers,
    Viking
    Hey should try being cleaned out so thoroughly that you're literally left only the clothes on your back and the vehicle you got home on
    And that was from living in central ChCh only 4 blocks from the central police station

One reason I'll never live in a city again having been exposed to the raw reality of the shitholes and the creeps & degenerates that fuel their existence off the pain they inflict on others

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Hey should try being cleaned out so thoroughly that you're literally left only the clothes on your back and the vehicle you got home on
    And that was from living in central ChCh only 4 blocks from the central police station

One reason I'll never live in a city again having been exposed to the raw reality of the shitholes and the creeps & degenerates that fuel their existence off the pain they inflict on others

TWR,

The experience of being "cleaned out completely" isn't one I would wish on anyone
    - and would be very keen to avoid myself.

Our older son (who is flatting) has just shifted into a newish house in Brooklyn in
    Wellington, and one of the first jobs we did was to go around the house together
    and look at its security (e.g. deadlocks and deadbolts; latches; window stays).

All solid external doors, but even though a newish house, one of the deadlocks
    was not snibbing securely (easily fixed). The ranch slider needed a deadbolt, and
    a few of the windows could clearly benefit from the installation of a security stay.

So we priced the items up, approached the landlord (with the offer of doing the work
    ourselves) - and he was quite happy with the proposal and about covering the cost.
    So now with that job done, at least we know their current house is better secured.

So all he has to do now is remember to lock the doors when they go out, and to pay
    his house contents insurance premium ..... 8-)

Cheers,
    Viking

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Don't forget deterrents.

If heads on spikes are going to upset the neighbours, take a good look at their security measures, and at least match if not beat them. The idea is simple enough: the thievin bastards are looking for a quick win with the least risk of being foiled or caught in the act. So if next door is a soft touch compared to your fortress, guess where they will go. And if all the properties in your area are well secured, chances are they'd rather go to another.

Deterrents aren't enough on their own but they help, and supplement the real security controls. Dummy cameras, window sensors, fake alarm boxes, flashing red LEDs and so on are worth considering provided they are realistic.

Restricting physical access to the area around the property is another good move: make it harder and slower for them to approach and get away without being seen or stopped, before they even get close to breaking in.

Oh and make an inventory with photos and receipts, to squeeze a few measly dollars out of those other thievin bastards known as insurance companies.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...nothing beats a reputation as a do'er, a pointy stick and not leavin' home...if someone wants your shit, they can take it any time they want without a thought as to security (a joke)...you probably wont be home at the time...if someone really wants your shit they will take it while you are at home, eat your dog and fuck your wife...societal rules don't mean 5/8ths of FA to some people...locks and such only keep honest people at bay...what's a policeman?...

Bike
    2004ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...what's a policeman?...
    We live ruralish nearest cops about 20 mins away , it’s surprising how quick they show up ( after a recent spate of burgs from farms) when we told them the neighbour had three of them pinned in his cowshed at the end of his double barrel and more farmers arriving

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    And (from experience) LH police will give you an insurance claim reference number and an explanation (if pressed) of why they're too busy to attend.
    Exactly this. And they're quite open about it not being worth their time.

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    Don't forget deterrents.

If heads on spikes are going to upset the neighbours, take a good look at their security measures, and at least match if not beat them. The idea is simple enough: the thievin bastards are looking for a quick win with the least risk of being foiled or caught in the act. So if next door is a soft touch compared to your fortress, guess where they will go. And if all the properties in your area are well secured, chances are they'd rather go to another.

Deterrents aren't enough on their own but they help, and supplement the real security controls. Dummy cameras, window sensors, fake alarm boxes, flashing red LEDs and so on are worth considering provided they are realistic.

Restricting physical access to the area around the property is another good move: make it harder and slower for them to approach and get away without being seen or stopped, before they even get close to breaking in.

Oh and make an inventory with photos and receipts, to squeeze a few measly dollars out of those other thievin bastards known as insurance companies.

Morning,

GazzaH's post on deterrents is good advice. And it made me think of a few other
    points.

The neighbour whom we share a common driveway entrance has a weather-proof
    security sticker from ArmourGuard affixed to the fence by his letterbox.

If anyone should then walk up our driveway, when they first come into sight of the
    house, they should then see (if they are looking) the external home alarm box on
    the end of the house - as well as one of the house cameras. Both very visible.
    Already on "Candid Camera" by that stage, with their approach being recorded.

As they then reach the first corner of the house (and the top of the drive-way
    where the double garage is), there are light sensors that automatically switch on
    sets of double lights after dark. Floods the whole carpad area.

The garage also has some secondary external lights that can be switched on/off
    from the house. It's useful at night if I want to throw down plenty of light around
    the general backyard area. Helps to break up the occasional cat fights .... 8-)

The use of dummy equipment (cameras, sensors, LED lights) is worth more mention.
    The range of gear available today is certainly quite extensive, and many really look
    the part.

A little personal story in that respect from years ago.

Many years ago when our sons were going to a creche (whose operation the wife and I
    helped to manage part-time), we had a break-in at the creche. They had forced a door
    at the front of the building. There was not much worth stealing, but we had invested
    time and materials in doing renovation and just wanted to try and keep the buzzards
    out. To avoid unnecessary damage as much as theft of items.

We first installed deadlocks on the two main external doors, deadbolts on the outward
    swinging double doors, and keyed bolts on the sliding windows for physical security.

Next, I acquired an old alarm horn (free, from a local security company) which I first
    freshly painted and then fitted high up under the eave out the front of the creche.

In addition, I also purchased and installed some small moulded plastic casings (each
    fitted with a red flashing LED light). Each just used a single longlife battery. The cases
    were screwed into timber near the edge of selected windows (out of childrens reach),
    and were easily visible from outside. Just had to replace all the batteries on a periodic
    cycle.

Lastly, I installed an old metal case (the size of a lunchbox, and fitted out with
    several flashing LED lights) on an interior wall of the room through which you first
    entered the creche. Anyone looking through the glass into the room after dark would
    think it was a control box. Just contained a little circuit board, a set of LED's and a
    battery.

All cheap as chips from Dick Smith, but quite realistic after dark. From 10 feet away,
    you could quite easily see at least one LED light flashing back at you as you walked
    around the outside of the building after dark.

After we had replaced the stolen microwave and other electronic gear, we assumed
    that we might get a follow-up visit. But none was ever made within the remaining few
    years we used the creche. We never found any new jemmy marks in the paintwork by
    either of the two main external doors (per the original break-in). Might have all been
    just good fortune.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I like deterrents.

We have a wee sign on the gate "dog on property", not a daft picture of an Alsatian with a quip about how fast it is. Amazing how many people stand at the gate and shout to ask if they can come down.

The shed has battery powered Doberman motion sensor alarms, they are really loud and effective, batteries last forever, too.

I have a solar powered light outside, led, and very bright. This combined with an external motion sensor alarm and 4 video cameras which are HD and IR, the cameras only cost $400 and can be viewed and controlled on line.

Inside the house I have a Pit Bull.

I'm pretty sure the dog works. A few years ago I found a snapped ciggie outside the (glass) front door and a couple of plant pots knocked over. A bit of paint had been scratched off the glass framing inside the door. Looked like a hasty exit. Wish I had it on camera.... Could have been the meter maid, though.

Time, noise and action generally stop the wee scrotes.

The property layout may help, too. Only one way in and out, so you have to drive down to the house. No quick exit and difficult to nick anything of value on foot.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    its quite easy to swap out old "night latches" for dead locking nightlatches.That will mean they cant use the doors to get in or out.You can use that opportunity to get your locks keyed alike /There are videos on you tube about beefing up the screws used on door locks.Most of em just go into a 25mm peice of timber door frame which is easy to break.Big long screws right into the timber frame is what you need to make breaking in much harder .

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I was in the irrigation business for many years ... I wired up plenty of automatic sprinkler systems to those motion sensor systems. Primarily for anti-tagging ... but thieves don't like getting wet either (Who would have thought that) ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...nothing beats a reputation as a do'er, a pointy stick and not leavin' home...if someone wants your shit, they can take it any time they want without a thought as to security (a joke)...you probably wont be home at the time...if someone really wants your shit they will take it while you are at home, eat your dog and fuck your wife...societal rules don't mean 5/8ths of FA to some people...locks and such only keep honest people at bay...what's a policeman?...
    rbcifgip .

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I was in the irrigation business for many years ... I wired up plenty of automatic sprinkler systems to those motion sensor systems. Primarily for anti-tagging ... but thieves don't like getting wet either (Who would have thought that) ...
    Seems bikers don't like it either!

Thread Information