Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home Security

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    Seems bikers don't like it either!
    I've seen a few motorcycles advertised on Trade me as never been ridden in the rain. Although not riding in the rain to enhance resale value is questionable ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayan123 View Post
    I have a video sytem at home. Also I have a big dog, so my wife is not afraid to stay at home alone.
    This thread has reminded me of a coupla things.

A woman I know was burgled. The local crime prevention officer gave her the full spiel on how to burglar-proof her home. She spent money on dead bolts and window locks etc etc but, as is the pattern, after a few weeks they smashed a pane of glass and did the house again.

If you live in a concrete pill box the expensive locks might work. If you've got a pane in the house of glass not so much. I was buying a replacement lock a few months back and the salesman was recommending a more expensive lock. I told him the nearest accessible window was less than two meters from the door. "Oh well..." he shrugged.

Several decades ago developers brought up all the houses on the main street near here. The houses were rented out pending the various developments taking place. The renters were mostly young people who wore black jeans, black jerseys and Doc Martins, and who were setting up house for the first time. They laid waste to the neighbourhood most of the neighbours got burgled twice. Not me, not the couple across the road. We both had dogs.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    On a lighter note, I did once see a house that had a warning sign.

"This property is patrolled by shotgun five nights a week. Your guess which nights."
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    This thread has reminded me of a coupla things.

A woman I know was burgled. The local crime prevention officer gave her the full spiel on how to burglar-proof her home. She spent money on dead bolts and window locks etc etc but, as is the pattern, after a few weeks they smashed a pane of glass and did the house again.

If you live in a concrete pill box the expensive locks might work. If you've got a pane in the house of glass not so much. I was buying a replacement lock a few months back and the salesman was recommending a more expensive lock. I told him the nearest accessible window was less than two meters from the door. "Oh well..." he shrugged.

Several decades ago developers brought up all the houses on the main street near here. The houses were rented out pending the various developments taking place. The renters were mostly young people who wore black jeans, black jerseys and Doc Martins, and who were setting up house for the first time. They laid waste to the neighbourhood most of the neighbours got burgled twice. Not me, not the couple across the road. We both had dogs.
    Totally agree. I live in an allegedly rough town but have had no incidents of note in 6 years. We have a dog that looks the part and barks at people or cars who slow or hang around the property boundary.
    I have installed cameras and security lights but otherwise you could get into the house with a cotton bud, windows are usually open.

The biggest thing I believe is that thieves cannot get on or off the property quickly or discretely. Even if they slunk down to the house and pinched my lap top it would be a decent run back to the road with a dog chasing you. That is if they had the balls to try and get in with the dog going off in front of them.

My G/F locked herself out one day and had to climb in through one of the sash windows, the dog came into the room baying like a rabid hound from Hades. Quite re-assuring.

Even small dogs make great deterrents, they go nuts!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    On a lighter note, I did once see a house that had a warning sign.

"This property is patrolled by shotgun five nights a week. Your guess which nights."

The sign on our gate reads "Trespassers will be served rare, with fava beans and a nice Chianti".

I'm not entirely sure about the fava beans though.

Thread Information