Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof commuting

Bike
    2017, Triumph Thruxton R

Waterproof commuting

Looking for advice. I commute daily 20 min each direction in Auckland. I have 2 piece leathers and I've been using waterproof over jacket and pants in wet weather. The pants were great initially but they leak like a sieve now - wet crotch etc. It's also a pain having to carry this gear just in case of rain (no storage capacity on my Thruxton R) I'm thinking of investing in some waterproof textiles for this winter. Any recommendations?

I have waterproof liners in my leathers but they are a waste of time and still let water in - Rev'it gear.

I'm leaning towards goretex textile (i.e. they outer shell is waterproof) but they are hellish expensive - something like Rev'it poseidon GTX or Kim Badlands. I'm prepared to pay the money to stay dry but only if it's a guaranteed solution.

I'd welcome some advice.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    In my experience (which doesn't include the high-cost goretex options) of 'waterproof' motorcycle gear, heavy PVC overgear is the only way to be sure of a dry crotch.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    In my experience (which doesn't include the high-cost goretex options) of 'waterproof' motorcycle gear, heavy PVC overgear is the only way to be sure of a dry crotch.
    Until the water starts dribbling inside your collar, cos then it runs down your back and ends up in your crotch anyway

Seriously though, I've found pvc to be easily as good as anything else, and it rolls up pretty small to go in a backpack or bungeed to the pillion seat. (Doesn't have to be yellow either)
    However usually I ride in textile because it's comfortable and waterproof for quite a few years and I like to be able to ride somewhere without having to stop halfway to put on wets. And you can wear normal clothes underneath.
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    I splurged on a set of Dainese Goretex.
    It's amazing. Removable liners so I have been using them all summer, cooler than my leathers most of the time.

It DOES get damp after 1.5-2 hours in heavy/steady rain, only very gently at the seams / cuffs, then your under layer of clothes wicks the water through. My H2O gloves don't help - they also get wet and then water wicks up the jacket liner (the gloves are good until they're not, then they are saturated through in short order).

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I have a pair of textile wet stuff, Buffalo is the name on the tag...they never let one drop through in Haast like conditions, they have an internal contraption with zips and shit that stop anything from getting through the front or down your arse...they work very well but they take so long to get on and off that I cant be fucked with the effort involved...I just throw my plastic bib overalls on and the plastic mac over them and get wet nuts...

Bike
    Indian Scout
    I feel your pain but nothing works short of a diving wet suit. I have tried different brands of trousers and still get a wet bum! I think my current rain/over jacket is R-Jays? I have to wear a business suit underneath so that's even worse. In winter I use a textile jacket with the winter liner removed. Otherwise it won't fit over the suit.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    It was on the good
    I use Marmot over trousers from Torpedo 7 or whatever it is called this week. Leg zip died today but I got five years out of them for <$80. The only time they have ever leaked was on long trips in heavy rain where the water simply rode up the front of the them and eventually got inside my jacket. Would buy Marmot again, cannot believe anything dedicated to motorbikes will be better unless it is a full one piece oversuit like I used to have from Belstaff. Not seen anything similar in NZ.

NZ is meant to be an outdoorsy kind of country. Would look at outdoor shops rather than bike shops if it is just water protection for the legs that you need. For a 20 minute commute you don't need much more than that. I am in Queenstown this weekend so expect to get hold of something to replace my now flapping in the wind overtrousers.

So bottom half is those overtrou on top of my work trousers or jeans while I went mad on the top half. Could not get a same as replacement for the textile Dainese jacket I lived in which was without doubt the best piece of clothing I ever brought so went with this -

Links are shit. Just Google Richa Cyclone GTX.

Bike
    2023 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
    I got a jacket/pants set of Alpinestars "Drystar" gear about 3 years ago. It's pretty amazing in terms of waterproof-ness. In the heaviest rain, I get to work, take off the jacket and pants, and my work clothes are perfectly dry underneath. Crotch and back included.
    The only problem with it is the waterproof layer doesn't come out, so it can be a bit warm on the hottest days, but then I leave the jacket front half open and leave the pants behind. Of course, it does have a removable thermal layer, so it's good for winter too. I'd say it's great for 3 seasons, excluding the hottest part of summer.

Bike
    2017, Triumph Thruxton R
    Thanks for the input guys. PVC or another kind of waterproof overgear is definitely a cheaper way to go and I could just replace the pants that I have. The jacket still works well. I just don't want to carry extra kit in case it rains. In Auckland that means carrying it more days than not! I'll have a look at the goretex stuff. The Richa cyclone stuff does look good. Can you get it in NZ? Looking at some Rukka jacket/pants too but again no NZ supplier. I had a bad experience last time I bought from overseas. Got stung badly for import duties.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Let us know how you get on, most of us haven't bought gear recently so it's always good to get feedback on the new stuff
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    After many years of getting soaked, even when wearing waterproof outers, I finally bit the bullet and bought a Klim Kodiak Jacket. This is basically the same jacket as the Badlands (material, pockets etc) but with a slightly different cut and is aimed at road bike riders rather than adventure bikes. I had originally planned to get a Badlands but when I tried it on the cut wasn't right for me, the Kodiak on the other hand fitted me like a glove. It's done a very good job, even during a 5 hour ride in heavy rain. I recently got a pair of Klim Quest gloves and those have been completely dry as well. The prices made my eyes water but they have been worth it.

My Rev-it Sand II pants on the other hand have leaked from day one and even after recently getting a new liner they are just as bad. I'm now gone back to using some over trousers I got from the Hunting and Fishing shop, those have worked well.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I bought a Goretex jacket from Kathmandu some years ago and it has NEVER leaked, even after 6 hours of steady rain. The Revit pants on the other hand let water through after 2 - 3 hours.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Have Klim badlands jacket and pants. Wife has Klim altitude jacket and pants. Would not accept anything less now.
    Goretex Pro is the difference. Goretex is bonded to the textile shell of the jacket so it never gets soaked, water runs off the fabric. Liners whether removable or not work on the premise the outer gets wet but the liner stops water going further, that is why they sometimes get overwhelmed.
    Rev’It also use Goretex pro in their top of the line and Alpinestars have just brought a jacket out, it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than Klim. Motomail stock at least two of those. Don’t forget, Klim offer a 10 year warranty. Nobody else offers that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    2017, Triumph Thruxton R
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    Have Klim badlands jacket and pants. Wife has Klim altitude jacket and pants. Would not accept anything less now.
    Goretex Pro is the difference. Goretex is bonded to the textile shell of the jacket so it never gets soaked, water runs off the fabric. Liners whether removable or not work on the premise the outer gets wet but the liner stops water going further, that is why they sometimes get overwhelmed.
    Rev’It also use Goretex pro in their top of the line and Alpinestars have just brought a jacket out, it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than Klim. Motomail stock at least two of those. Don’t forget, Klim offer a 10 year warranty. Nobody else offers that.

Thanks! Goretex Pro was exactly what I was thinking. I’ve read good reviews on Klim Badlands but almost wrote it off because I thought it was overkill for commuting. 10 year warranty is really appealing though. How do you find it in summer? I’ve read that it vents well and is a good 4 season option.

I’ve seen a reviews talk about quality issues with Rev’it which puts me off. I was going to try Motomail on Monday to look at Rev’it Poseidon and Klim Badlands. It looks like they’ve got limited stock of Klim though - maybe clearing out last years model?

Also wondered about Rukka but not in NZ?

Shame our options are so limited in this country

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by dazza139 View Post
    Thanks! Goretex Pro was exactly what I was thinking. I’ve read good reviews on Klim Badlands but almost wrote it off because I thought it was overkill for commuting. 10 year warranty is really appealing though. How do you find it in summer? I’ve read that it vents well and is a good 4 season option.

I’ve seen a reviews talk about quality issues with Rev’it which puts me off. I was going to try Motomail on Monday to look at Rev’it Poseidon and Klim Badlands. It looks like they’ve got limited stock of Klim though - maybe clearing out last years model?

Also wondered about Rukka but not in NZ?

Shame our options are so limited in this country

Me and the BH did 3 weeks in the South Island over January. Haast was torrential downpours (as you would expect) the rest was 27-36celcius. No problem. Open the vents and away you go. Because protective layer and waterproof layer are one and the same venting is straight to whatever is under the gear, no wind proof membrane in the way. Never understood that. Klim have only one approach to venting, give it heaps.

I looked at the Rev’It options as I am a longtime fan of their gear. It wasn’t as tough but looked well enough out together. I resent the fact they do not give you proper back armour as standard, especially at their prices. Again the Klim approach is give it heaps with D3O everywhere.

Be warned the Klim gear is heavier and there is a break in period, it won’t feel as comfortable when you try it on at first as the competitors. If you are commuting that break in period won’t be long. The other criticism levelled at Klim is no thermal layer. That’s a minor thing really. You are so well protected from the elements you will need less thermal covering anyway. My wife used to wear 5 (yes 5) layers under her Rev’It in winter. With the Klim she wears 2.

BTW, I also commute, 70kms each way all year around. The Klim gear means zero hassle, rain or shine you already have your gear on.

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Thread Information