Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duke 390 Oil pressure issues

Bike
    '17 Duke 390

Duke 390 Oil pressure issues

Hi guys

Last May I bought myself the new model KTM Duke 390, I love the bike but I've had a lot of troubles with it.
    Over heating, radiator cracking, TFT dash needed replacing and recently I've had to replace the oil pump.
    Recently I've been having more issues with the oil pump and it's now giving me the same error I had with the old one, Oil pressure low.

It was fine for the first 500kms but now it comes on after about 200m of riding. One thing I've noticed is that it doesn't come on when the bike is at idle OR I'm giving it the beans. Say 8000+ RPM
    The bike shop I bought it from is closed for the long weekend so I can't take it in and I'd really like to know if anyone has some experience with this. I'm wondering if it's a potential air lock somewhere?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I really love my bike but all of these issues are getting quite tiresome, I don't know of anyone else who's had so many issues with their '17 390

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jdz89 View Post
    One thing I've noticed is that it doesn't come on when the bike is at idle OR I'm giving it the beans. Say 8000+ RPM
    I'd be laying off giving it the beans if you have a oil pressure issue. Just saying.

Bike
    suzuki
    you've replaced the oil pump already? are the pumps faulty or is it maybe the sensor.

Bike
    '17 Duke 390
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    you've replaced the oil pump already? are the pumps faulty or is it maybe the sensor.

Correct, this is the second pump. The issue stopped for a while but has come back recently.
    There are moments when the light disappears and everything seems fine. I am wondering if it is sensor related

Bike
    Exercycle
    Correct, this is the second pump. The issue stopped for a while but has come back recently.
    There are moments when the light disappears and everything seems fine. I am wondering if it is sensor related
    Sticking relief valve ?

We used to get similar symptoms on the grey imports back in the day. Usually the relief valve is the lowest point in the system - and those things had sat long enough that there was corrosion on the valve.
    Obviously not the same scenario - but it would be possible to overlook the relief valve whan changing the pump....

Bike
    '17 Duke 390
    Hey guys.

Sounds like the issue stemmed waaay back to some overheating issues I had with airlocks in the cooling system.
    I'm not entirely sure on the details but it sounds like something in the engine was restricting the oil flow and having the oil pump working overtime to do it's job and then eventually gave up the ghost.

Bike
    2023 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
    Did you buy your Duke 390 brand new? Shouldn't it still be covered by warranty?

I think I dodged a bullet, I recently came very VERY close to buying a 2017 Duke 390, but I've seen quite a bit of stuff on Youtube and forums about issues people have had with them, such as water ingress into the LCD instrument panel, slipping clutches, and a couple of other things. I hadn't come across oil pressure issues before though.

(In then end I got an MT-03 instead because after test rides of that and the BMW G310R, the MT-03 was just much nicer to ride, had a way nicer, smoother engine by comparison, with what felt like much more poke up in the rev range, and I just felt more comfortable riding it overall. I liked it so much I didn't even go and test ride the Duke 390 in the end, even though it had been on the top of my list. I'm really glad I got the MT-03, it's perfect for me, and seems to have good build quality, and the motor is just a fantastic smooth little unit. It cost a grand less than the Duke too, which helped, and in my case, the dealership is much closer to my home.)

Anyway, I'm interested to know what sort of dealership support and backup you get with the Duke.

Cheers!

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    High revs, pressure warning.
    Change your oil brand,

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Airlocks? I thought airlocks were removed on the drawing board...

Mind you I'm only an amateur...

Do what Grumph says first
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Exercycle
    Hey guys.

Sounds like the issue stemmed waaay back to some overheating issues I had with airlocks in the cooling system.
    I'm not entirely sure on the details but it sounds like something in the engine was restricting the oil flow and having the oil pump working overtime to do it's job and then eventually gave up the ghost.
    Who's telling you that ? The oil pump is geared to run at a given fraction of the engine RPM, it can't "work overtime".
    More information needed.

Bike
    '17 Duke 390
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Who's telling you that ? The oil pump is geared to run at a given fraction of the engine RPM, it can't "work overtime".
    More information needed.
    It's probably more my explanation that's wrong than what I've been told, I was in a rush to get the words from him at the time. I'm not mechanically minded at all.

And yes the bike is brand new and all of this is covered under warranty so that's good, it's just a pain in the ass as my bike is my only form of transport and I work where buses don't go.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    It's probably more my explanation that's wrong than what I've been told, I was in a rush to get the words from him at the time. I'm not mechanically minded at all.

And yes the bike is brand new and all of this is covered under warranty so that's good, it's just a pain in the ass as my bike is my only form of transport and I work where buses don't go.
    Ask them for a courtesy bike. Most dealers seem to have them these days.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    dude that sucks, but is typical Bajaj builds

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    My Pater bought a 390 new and it sprang an oil leak before he had done 2000 miles on it.

Threw it back at the dealer and rode away on a 690 Duke. Ended up throwing that back, too.

Now his shed is all Japanese again and no issues. Food for thought IMHO.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    '17 Duke 390
    The issue seems to be fixed. There was a film on the stator that came off and was blocking the flow of oil. Seems to be all sorted now.
    Now to fix the brand new tire I just had a piece of wood go through

Thread Information