Thread: Valve Clearance Clearance check Suzuki Bandit 1250

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSF1250s Bandit

Question Valve Clearance Clearance check Suzuki Bandit 1250

I have done a search on this forum and Google. The manual says to check valve clearances at 24000 km I have seen a number of comments indicating that on inspection the clearances were in tolerance. Just wondering how many of you have had them checked and found them out of spec?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    There are some bloody good Bandit forums that will tell you more.

So the real question is are you game on leaving it?

I owned a 900 Hornet - word around the globe was the 24k valve check was a waste of money, some bugger had something like 90,000 on his and finally checked them and they were fine. By the numbers it appeared OK to extend it. I'm anal about maintenance so spent the coin at 24,000. It was all labour and a gasket. Nothing needed adjusting.

Wasted money? Nah - not in my opinion as I'd be slutted with myself if one valve had been really tight and shat itself at 30,000.

Your choice. I realize it's only a Suzuki so understand you don't want to spend money on it......

Also consider the resale - you go to flick it off at 30,000 and can't prove the valves were checked when you owned it at 24 - I'd be thinking twice as a buyer about your claimed immaculate servicing statement.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Buy feeler gauges and a service manual. Its not hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Buy feeler gauges and a service manual. Its not hard.
    oh it will be, did you see how hard it was for him to adjust his chain, and he still couldn't get it right?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    oh it will be, did you see how hard it was for him to adjust his chain, and he still couldn't get it right?
    No I didnt see that. But if you cant get a chain right then pay somebody to do your valves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Bandit View Post
    I have seen a number of comments indicating that on inspection the clearances were in tolerance. Just wondering how many of you have had them checked and found them out of spec?
    And it'll probably be the same old story with other brands. Certainly is with Triumph, but I guess I got the only one that had all shims replaced on first clearance check (17k). Other factory fuckups were revealed at the same time, so for peace of mind, why wouldn't you at least get the first check done?
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    There are some bloody good Bandit forums that will tell you more.

So the real question is are you game on leaving it?

I owned a 900 Hornet - word around the globe was the 24k valve check was a waste of money, some bugger had something like 90,000 on his and finally checked them and they were fine. By the numbers it appeared OK to extend it. I'm anal about maintenance so spent the coin at 24,000. It was all labour and a gasket. Nothing needed adjusting.

Wasted money? Nah - not in my opinion as I'd be slutted with myself if one valve had been really tight and shat itself at 30,000.

Your choice. I realize it's only a Suzuki so understand you don't want to spend money on it......

Also consider the resale - you go to flick it off at 30,000 and can't prove the valves were checked when you owned it at 24 - I'd be thinking twice as a buyer about your claimed immaculate servicing statement.
    Lol at a Hornet owner trying to get a rise out of real bike owners! Plus one on all his other comments however.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    Lol at a Hornet owner trying to get a rise out of real bike owners!
    Some of my best work right there!

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Bandit View Post
    I have done a search on this forum and Google. The manual says to check valve clearances at 24000 km I have seen a number of comments indicating that on inspection the clearances were in tolerance. Just wondering how many of you have had them checked and found them out of spec?
    I'd suggest doing the first check at the recommended kms. If everything is OK, then you could push out the 2nd check.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    The first time I had this done on the GSX-R600 (admittedly a little after the recommended kms), we found that the hardening on one of the cam buckets had failed and had scoured the cam lobe as well. Required a new bucket and a new camshaft. Who knows what might have happened if I hadn't found out what was going on in there.

I got the parts from the USofA. For a total cost of around $NZ250.00. Would have cost some $NZ700.00 if I had bought parts locally...go figure.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Thread Information