Thread: Electric start wiring

Bike
    nil

Electric start wiring

So I've got a dirt bike that came with the electric start wiring removed. I do have the solenoid with wiring.

I'm just trying to figure out how I could wire it back up?

Oh and a kill switch too, it just has a single black/white wire that I can touch ground with and it cuts out, how can I wire that into a switch?

Here's a photo of starter with live wire on top and the solenoid.

Any help would be really appreciated.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...afb3327a19.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...458316697f.jpg

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    its been a long time so i hope I have got this right.....

theres a bit of a trick to wiring a starter motor on a bike... it's to do with the small start button..
    it can not carry a lot of amps even though there is the solenoid to carry the main power from the battrey
    to the stater motor.. The start button is not heavy enough to carry DC voltage from the battrey..

so AC voltage is picked up from the recifier... though the start button to the soleoid..
    there is also a diod link so the DC & AC current don't come in contact with each other...
    while the motor is not running the battrey back feeds the DC voltage back down the charging wire
    to the recifier where it is converted the AC that how you get the AC voltage while the motor is
    not running and produceing AC current from the stator..

if you get it wrong you will fry the start button..... don't ask how I know....
    i thought i could run DC current from the battery though the start button to the solenoid...that was a Fail.....

yamaha switch blocks are dam exspensive.....

hopefuly someone ealse will chim in and make it a bit clearer...

this might give you a better iea..
    pic is the wiring loom I made before I wraped it up.... It dose ignition / charge / starter..
    so far it has done 4 years trouble free...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TTR250 wireing.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	336302  
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    2000, Suzuki GSF 250V
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    its been a long time so i hope I have got this right.....

theres a bit of a trick to wiring a starter motor on a bike... it's to do with the small start button..
    it can..........
    That doesn't sound quite right to me, about the dc current is correct, ac is much easier to switch since either crosses 0V very often. However rectifiers won't turn dc back to ac. What you'll want to do is have the power coming from battery, through a like half amp fuse (maybe more if relay needs more to trigger) and a appropriately sized Resistor (depends on relay) then through the switch, through relay trigger and to ground. Then for the starter, from battery through fuse (find the standard current for the starter add a few amps and use that fuse), through relay into starter then starter to ground.

Switches can definitely weld themselves closed from dc current but if you keep current low with a Resistor it shouldn't be able to. Try find a circuit diagram for a different bike to compare.

Thread Information