Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Overtaking another bike

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    It would not have been your school that taught you must take particular lines when riding then. Maybe its something thats taught in the UK from looking at the UK police videos where they do spend a lot of time centre line hugging.
    Centre line hugging is fine until a truck comes the other way.

Or on the approach to a right hand bend.

Position depends on circumstances.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Has he bought a BMW?
    "A" BMW? Lol.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    rbcifgip .
    I have no idea what that means - and can't find in on the net slang dictionaries - translation please.

Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    So right on the centre line is the correct positioning? Please explain why placing your bike almost on the other side of the road is a Good Idea. (I have a cold beer in the fridge.)
    Not on the centre line - close to it on left hand bends .. still on the left side of it.

This gives you the best cornering lines and allows the bike to apex and then accelerate out of the corner.

If something is coming the other way across the centre line you are gong to drop the bike into the corner, leaning and turning away from them anyway .. If the oncoming vehicle is way across the line you will be in the shit wherever you are in your lane.

Well, this has been entertaining. The consensus seems to be that I should just blast past anyone in front of me who is going slower.
    Yeah - that's what I do ..

It never ceases to frustrate and disappoint me when I follow a rider who adopts a constant lateral lane position regardless of what is going on around them.

I failed a guy on a CBTA 6F test a few months back as for the duration of the ride he was glued to the right hand wheel track.
    Yes - that's pretty stupid ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    suzuki

The right hand wheel track is my default position in the absence of a reason to the contrary.

being in the left wheel track then they can see you in the rearview mirror, of course right hand means you have better visibility ahead etc

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    From my 7 years in the UK/Ireland, I found drivers there were more courteous than here, and road discipline much higher.
    They also have proper motorways, dual carriageway A roads and minor B roads. Urban roads are narrow to start with and even more so with cars parked on both side. Mirror bashing in my company car was a common occurrence and no one got twisted out of shape over it either.

If you want to find an equivalent to NZ driving and road quality its more like Portugal or Greece.

Yep. Same comparison with USA and NZ drivers.
    There is a lot of 'I own the road so get the fuck out of my way' on NZ roads.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Not on the centre line - close to it on left hand bends .. still on the left side of it.

This gives you the best cornering lines and allows the bike to apex and then accelerate out of the corner.

If something is coming the other way across the centre line you are gong to drop the bike into the corner, leaning and turning away from them anyway .. If the oncoming vehicle is way across the line you will be in the shit wherever you are in your lane.
    A few questions.

What do you do if it's a blind corner? Do you still position the bike in the same place?

Assuming you do, do you stay out there until you can see the corner exit, then head for the apex?

What line do you take after the apex?

Thanks.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    A few questions.

What do you do if it's a blind corner? Do you still position the bike in the same place?

Assuming you do, do you stay out there until you can see the corner exit, then head for the apex?

Thanks.
    Keep the bike wide until the corner opens out.

Strangely, keeping it wide gives you more lean angle, allowing you to carry more momentum.

After the the exit opens up, what you do next depends on what you face next. If thetes another corner in the same direction you can link the corners by keeping your width. If it's an opposite direction you'll narrow up to line up for that one.

The line on exit depends on what's happening next. Few corners exist in isolation.

Bike
    bandit
    A few questions.

Yeah - I do on left handers - if you look at it, the bike starts to turn way before the actual road curves - and you are about to drop the bike into a left hand turn aimed for the apex on the left-hand side, well away from any car coming the other way across the centre line. This gives you plenty of time of drop it in early if something is across the centre line.

On right hand corners start from the left - which gives you plenty of time to drop the bike over a little less and miss the car coming the other way on the wrong side. And in this right hand scenario the apex is not with the wheels on the white line - 'cause then you are leaning across the line into the path of anything coming the other way.

Pretty much - yes. Though on strange roads on blind corners you can't always see the apex - nor can you see the exit and you do not know where they are. Best guess at the time ... On familiar roads it's different. On unfamiliar roads I do take it a bit easier ...

And if you do stay out there that long on left hand turns you increase the chances of getting hit by a car coming across the centre line. As has been said, its all situational.

Depends on the corner .. I find the bandits are well balanced on the throttle so I tend to open the throttle and let the bike accelerate out of the corner, balancing on the throttle, not on the counter-steering. This takes fine throttle control. (It's also a bit hard on tyres - but fun. ) It's best not to slam the throttle open - or you will go off the road .. roll the power on so the bike stays in the corner and then lifts itself out of it as the power increases.

And sometimes I just cruise ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    xt660r
    Or pass just before a fun bit of road then wobble around the corners.
    this seems to happen a lot. I had a whole bunch of muppets on sports-bikes come past me just before a bunch of uphill corners (passing into oncoming traffic etc).

I then had to ride even slower because none of them could go round corners. they all then stopped for a smoke at a viewing point.

I assume they passed me because my bike looks slow (it is slow), it does however corner well without much slowing down, so i wouldn't have been holding them up.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    And for those of us who do pictures better than words...*

* ignoring the bits that are funny pommie road rules...
    That's very similar to how I ride. How many times did we see him just inside the centre line approaching LH corners?

Interesting bike!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    That's very similar to how I ride. How many times did we see him just inside the centre line approaching LH corners?

Interesting bike!
    Russ is a good watch, just remember the UK has some different laws to us.

If this is of interest to you then an assessment ride with these guys you may enjoy.

http://iam.org.nz/
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Finally something useful from the Christchurch Cretin.

Great scene with actual B25 Mitchell Bombers.

Is the movie as good as the book? I read it twice now and prob will again one day...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Is the movie as good as the book? I read it twice now and prob will again one day...
    No, but it's worth watching if you like the book. I must read it again.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Observation...

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    I used to do "talk drive" with Police recruits in the 70's .
    Good it was, you could see what they were seeing or missing !

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Thread Information