Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Overtaking another bike

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    Hug inside the centre lane so you can see deeper into the sides of the road and intersections. When traffic comes towards you, you veer to the left side of your lane to increase the gap between you, and also it creates some sidewides movement that they may detect you if they already had not. Also if a following car decides to overtake the lead car coming at you, you have already created moved to the left and helped your survival. When the traffic has passed, take your position back and show the centre line your love.
    I love you.

Well, maybe not love, but hey, flowers-in-my-hair and all that

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Maybe this is Hell - having to read every word of a never ending debate between cassina and other forum members.

Please stop.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    Hug inside the centre lane so you can see deeper into the sides of the road and intersections. When traffic comes towards you, you veer to the left side of your lane to increase the gap between you, and also it creates some sidewides movement that they may detect you if they already had not. Also if a following car decides to overtake the lead car coming at you, you have already created moved to the left and helped your survival. When the traffic has passed, take your position back and show the centre line your love.
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I love you.

Well, maybe not love, but hey, flowers-in-my-hair and all that
    Geez fellas, get a room!

But as Coldrider pointed out, basic stuff this positioning. Well, for someone who can understand it's flexible at least, applied according to the situation.

Bike
    KTM
    I just indicate right and go for it, what's the problem here?

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    You did well to get that far!

I just couldn't be bothered passing. It was only a few kms, the road is narrow and the corners blind. So I just followed and watched his positioning, which was the real reason for starting the thread.

I do use slow vehicle lanes to pass on the left sometimes. But they're not very long when you're going fast.
    I tend to overtake for a few reasons - the first is that it's normally safer to be well ahead of modestly skilled riders. Second, I prefer to have a wider field of view. It is also possible to spend some much time fixating on the born again on his $30,000 Hardly that you miss the other dangers ahead. Finally, I don't like it when the pinch point ends up meaning you have a car on your back wheel. I don't like being followed closely by cars, it's never going to end well for the biker.

As for going to fast on the road - that's impossible. There isn't a bike on the market that can hit NZ's ultrahigh speed limit.

What is interesting is the differing perceptions of what constitutes a large enough space to pass. I'm of the view that, so long as you can walk through a gap, and so long as there is no overlap of lines for a couple of bike lengths, then it's a valid overtaking gap. At road speeds, there is always a huge margin of traction and space in order to complete an overtake if you're properly planned and have even a little skill. Leaning on another bike mid corner is fine if the other rider has skill and you've raced with him. Best not to do that to some animal on a Hardly who can't ride in a straight line.
    It’s diametrically opposed to the sanitised existence of the Lemmings around me in the Dilbert Cartoon hell I live in; it’s life at full volume, perfect colour with high resolution and 10,000 watts of amplification.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by madbikeboy View Post
    Gremlin is 400,000,000 x the rider you'll ever be you useless non-bike owning, dole bulging oxygen thief. But keep throwing stones at Cassina, because it keeps both morons happily engaged, and let's face it, someone gets a night off from looking after you.

11 pages, got bored at page 5. If you didn't swap too much paint then the pass is fine. If he doesn't move over, then ride around him. Up the inside is just fine if the guy is hogging the road and not covering his mirrors. It's not cricket to do it on the back wheel on the street. I know this because I've been told it's not cricket on the back wheel on the street. Stop being a pussy and just fucking do it.

Smart has the brains, but BRAVE has the balls.
    Smart has brains, but BRAVE has balls......what does that even mean? Fine line between brave and stupid.

Bike
    R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    1-2 metres to the left of the centerline? Plenty of room to get by ...
    Why did the thread continue past this post?

Seems like a no brainer. Op know you pass on the right, right?

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    There were short straights between the corners. All he had to do was drift left on a RH corner and I would have passed him. We were both going about the same speed on the long straights before then, but he slowed for the corners. And no, I was a safe distance behind.

If you see someone riding a R1 with a Safer Rides hi viz, it could well be me.
    If indeed i have the mis-fortune i might well ask for some beer money to compensate the wasted time reading this thread.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Go back and read your first post again, what exactly did you expect? You asked a question that has no correct answer because we weren't there and you managed to slag off one particular group of riders at the very same time. Add to that using the word 'overtaking' which is a big red flag to the KB village idiot. Next you'll be posting about group rides and expecting the thread not deteriorate in to a similar shit fest.
    Which group of riders did I slag off? And how am I responsible for some of the shit that’s been written in this thread?

There was some good posts at first, but most of the thread is just abuse.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Go back and read your first post again, what exactly did you expect? You asked a question that has no correct answer because we weren't there and you managed to slag off one particular group of riders at the very same time. Add to that using the word 'overtaking' which is a big red flag to the KB village idiot. Next you'll be posting about group rides and expecting the thread not deteriorate in to a similar shit fest.
    Which group of riders did I slag off? And how am I responsible for some of the shit that’s been written in this thread?

There was some good posts at first, but most of the thread is just abuse.
    The group you slagged off, by reference, was the Harley crew. This shows bias towards cruiser riders in general, which sets the tone anyway. As Berries pointed out, your road, your view, not for us to comment. The way you describe it may be very different to how another rider would see it.

No shortage of opinionated keyboard warriors on KB, so once one of the village idiots weighs in on a topic, with their own bias...well, you know this train is going off the tracks so it becomes harder to derive any positive stuff.

Seeing how I live in the district where your described scenario took place, and I know which bit of road you're referring to, it becomes a case of you either use forward observation and a bit of power to make progress or you decide to hold back on account of the low skilled rider in front. No shame in choosing to hold back. Bit hard for the KB crew to form a group opinion that falls in line with this as my outlook is too simple. Can you guess what I do yet?

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

This has happened quite a few times this summer. I expect it from Harley riders, but to be honest, most of them have been great and let me past.
    This was what I wrote. There have been a lot of Harleys on the road this summer and I can't recall any dodgy riding.

I'm not sure why, because I have had a couple of close calls in the past.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Can you guess what I do yet?
    I would say ride a Harley but your post suggests your knuckles aren't dragging on the floor.

/pt

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post

Seeing how I live in the district where your described scenario took place, and I know which bit of road you're referring to, it becomes a case of you either use forward observation and a bit of power to make progress or you decide to hold back on account of the low skilled rider in front. No shame in choosing to hold back. Bit hard for the KB crew to form a group opinion that falls in line with this as my outlook is too simple. Can you guess what I do yet?
    It does say rider coach in your profile.

I see the road to Port Waikato is now designated as a High Crash Rate area.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I'm never starting another thread on KB. Not many adults here.

Among the banter there are valid responses.

Start a 'what oil' thread. I like those.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I might look at buying a loaf of bread.

In order to loosely associate this issue with this thread I'll overtake a motorcycle on the way home from the supermarket.

White bread, brown bread, sliced, unsliced, rye ...... etc best start a poll before buying that bread.

No doubt someone on here would have read somewhere that sliced bread is less likely to cause bowel issues in the future ...

Thread Information