Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What could I have done..?

Bike
    Ninja 300
    Cheers for the feedback all, appreciated.
    Have come away with taking a moment to think if what I'm going to do with respect to my surroundings and situations and expect everything! Also ABS.

Bike
    A
    I've learned that operating any motor vehicle is 90% mental and 10% physical.

So you'll get serious improvements in your riding if you can change the way you look at things, starting by applying a "scan as far ahead as practicable" approach. Ask yourself "what if" whenever you see things moving towards your path, and avoid tunnel vision.

This doesn't discount the physical actions, as braking requires proper practice, just to use one example.

If you've not done a Rideforever course yet, you'll learn a bit about both of the above there, it's cheap and fun even.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post

So you'll get serious improvements in your riding if you can change the way you look at things, starting by applying a "scan as far ahead as practicable" approach. .
    I'm not sure where i picked it up, but "12 seconds"

you "should" be able to close your eyes for 12 seconds and continue to operate your vehicle and end up in aproximately the right place. you should have percieved, and accounted for, everything that's going to happen, that far ahead of you. corners and all.

this equates to "slow down in the twisties" which i don't agree with at all. but it's one of the things i have ticking over in my mind when sharing space with (potential or actual) fuckwits.

funny thing, when most people close their eyes (on a private road of course ) the first thing to happen is the speed drops.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post

The 12s thing was taught to us at the Defensive Driving course my father made me do to fast track my full license back when I was 15. Still remember a fair bit of it now and employ those lessons every time I'm on the road.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    The 12s thing was taught to us at the Defensive Driving course my father made me do to fast track my full license back when I was 15. Still remember a fair bit of it now and employ those lessons every time I'm on the road.
    It's still taught. Or at least it was when I got qualified 3 years ago. Sage advice too.

Scan as far ahead as the place you are going to be in 12 seconds. Know everything that is happening between where you are now and where you will be in 12 seconds.

Basically, aim to see things that have resolved themselves before you have got there. E.g., see that car coming toward you with his right indicator on. See him so damn early that he's turned right well before you meet the potential conflict point. That's what tells you that you are looking far enough ahead.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    missed this when you first posted.

yes could well have been defensive driving... but it's been many many years since i did it.

...probably not quite as many as you, though
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    It's still taught. Or at least it was when I got qualified 3 years ago. Sage advice too.

Scan as far ahead as the place you are going to be in 12 seconds. Know everything that is happening between where you are now and where you will be in 12 seconds.

Basically, aim to see things that have resolved themselves before you have got there. E.g., see that car coming toward you with his right indicator on. See him so damn early that he's turned right well before you meet the potential conflict point. That's what tells you that you are looking far enough ahead.
    aw shucks. you mean it's not down to luck and blaming other people's screw-ups? how ever will we get by?

i guess the method has stood the test of time... a wonder it's not part of the school curriculum, or, like, driver licensing.

vote akzle.

Bike
    GSXR1000

...probably not quite as many as you, though

No idea what you mean there, but in the meantime get off my fucking lawn you little shit.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    aw shucks. you mean it's not down to luck and blaming other people's screw-ups? how ever will we get by
    Smiled when I read this. It's the KB way.

Bike
    A

you "should" be able to close your eyes for 12 seconds and continue to operate your vehicle and end up in aproximately the right place. you should have percieved, and accounted for, everything that's going to happen, that far ahead of you. corners and all.

this equates to "slow down in the twisties" which i don't agree with at all. but it's one of the things i have ticking over in my mind when sharing space with (potential or actual) fuckwits.

funny thing, when most people close their eyes (on a private road of course ) the first thing to happen is the speed drops.
    Yes the 12 second scan is what's advocated officially. Better to look further ahead if possible though, remember my day job involves DG trucking.

Slowing down in the twisties, talking bikes here, this 12 second approach doesn't work. I'm fine with keeping the vanishing point further away than the point by which you can stop, so it needn't be a huge impediment to forward progress.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I just scored a heap of feijoas...I don't have any pork chops...how do you reckon this would go with spaghetti...I have a couple of tins of that...or should I just pass?...

http://www.newworld.co.nz/recipes/po...m_medium=email

Thread Information