Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RC30 What does this mean?

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Chronicles of 88....001-005
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	435.7 KB 
ID:	336233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	472.9 KB 
ID:	336234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	375.0 KB 
ID:	336235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	414.0 KB 
ID:	336236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	426.6 KB 
ID:	336237  

Bike
    motocompo
    Well this seems like a good place to start a build

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	801.0 KB 
ID:	336245  

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Well this seems like a good place to start a build
    Is there anything that spells out Japanese build philosophy more than the welding on that frame.
    Welds you can see good, welds you normally cant see not so much....
    At least with the RC30 you can still get steering head bearings unlike the NF4 RS125
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Is there anything that spells out Japanese build philosophy more than the welding on that frame.
    Welds you can see good, welds you normally cant see not so much....
    At least with the RC30 you can still get steering head bearings unlike the NF4 RS125
    Yeah, the remark was made today that they must have got the apprentice to weld the insides of the frames.
    We ordered steering head bearings today. Upgrading from ball bearings to taper roller.
    I have acquired the support of Brian Brown of TT motorcycles in Melbourne for information & technical help http://www.ttmotorcycles.com.au
    We discovered today that their RC30 has the consecutive chassis number to this one.

Bike
    husaberg
    Yeah, the remark was made today that they must have got the apprentice to weld the insides of the frames.
    We ordered steering head bearings today. Upgrading from ball bearings to taper roller.
    I have acquired the support of Brian Brown of TT motorcycles in Melbourne for information & technical help http://www.ttmotorcycles.com.au
    We discovered today that their RC30 has the consecutive chassis number to this one.
    I was trying to remember what the Hallam Bros logo was last night, I think it was a cartoon boy with spikey hair making a fist showing a muscle or something. looked kinda of 80's Japanese cartoon.
    I do recall they put together a CR500 that won one of the last 500MX titles in Aussie.
    Sir Stephen AKA Brian Demargerine gave a translation of something similar to
    "brown eye" !
    as its" button eye hallam boyz .

Typically from what I have seen the Japanese run of the mill bikes are tig welded on the outside and mig welded on the inside with the alloy frames.
    I have two RS frames at home and all the welding is rather nice both inside and out.
    I would have thought that the RC30 kit prep guides of the era would have had drawings or templates for frame bracing.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Exercycle
    Frame bracing - the WSB regs in the early years were a bit ambiguous on what you could or couldn't do. Minimum weight - based on homologation weight less a %. Can't remember what it was - maybe 15%. No definite prohibitions except changing main frame layout.
    The previous TTF1 regs had been very open on frames and the WSB setup was supposed to be to encourage closer to stock bikes. Initially that's what they were - visibly anyway. Then people like Harris started selling stronger swingarms etc etc....
    To get the RC30 to turn, several tried shorter swingarms.

Engines - you couldn't change the relationship/distance between the cases and the head(s) and the rods had to stay the same material as homologated.
    So the RC kit rods are 2mm longer with shorter 2 ring pistons to match. Still Ti rods though. Valves had to stay same material too.

I used to have a set of the regs here - I did two engines for the rounds here and needed to be sure what I did was legal.

Bike
    motocompo
    Got this far with the rebuild so far.
    Around ten hours to clean, lubricate, loctite & assemble rear hub, & brake assembly, linkage, steering head & swingarm pivot with new parts as required.
    So different to work with stuff that was primarily designed to be raced.

Name:	20190502_160912.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	567.0 KB 
ID:	341748  

Bike
    husaberg
    got this far with the rebuild so far.
    So different to work with stuff that was primarily designed to be raced.
    That last RC30 that Gobert and mcarthy i think raced had a shed load of bracing i think?

or maybe not
    http://www.roskildering.net/TroyCorser.pdf

How did you get on tracing the History?
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post

How did you get on tracing the History?
    I know the last owner - who did nothing with it as he couldn't get it running. Just as well too.
    The owner before him needs a sound flogging. I won't go into details but it'll have to be rebuilt into different cases as a minimum.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Who told you that they were an upgrade? MotoGP bikes run balls.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I know the last owner - who did nothing with it as he couldn't get it running. Just as well too.
    The owner before him needs a sound flogging. I won't go into details but it'll have to be rebuilt into different cases as a minimum.
    blimey - are they available? Or is there someone CNC machining replicas somewhere from billet?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    blimey - are they available? Or is there someone CNC machining replicas somewhere from billet?
    My understanding is that the RC30 internals and heads drop onto the same period VFR750 cases - with some work.
    The VFR cases and barrels have thicker liners and can be taken out to around 840cc. I have of course suggested this, LOL.
    Honda themselves in period took this VFR based engine out to 920cc for F1. But only built three of them apparently. No- one knows just how they stabilised the top of the free-standing liners.
    Without this done, it's a head gasket nightmare.
    The VFR cases are actually quite common. This engine is a first year RC30 so isn't even marked as an RC30. Most of the ones raced in period came as Jap home market ones which were then kitted. Official exports started in the 2nd year of production.

Bike
    husaberg
    My understanding is that the RC30 internals and heads drop onto the same period VFR750 cases - with some work.
    The VFR cases and barrels have thicker liners and can be taken out to around 840cc. I have of course suggested this, LOL.
    Honda themselves in period took this VFR based engine out to 920cc for F1. But only built three of them apparently. No- one knows just how they stabilised the top of the free-standing liners.
    The VFR cases are actually quite common. This engine is a first year RC30 so isn't even marked as an RC30. Most of the ones raced in period came as Jap home market ones which were then kitted. Official exports started in the 2nd year of production.
    I posted all the differences somewhere they are mainly oiling system i think. which is ironic.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    I have seen a number of Jap domestic market supplied bikes (generally race / Homologation style ) where they have no engine numbers. My TZ250U and OW01 are like that. I read somewhere years about this and then checked my bikes. Both of which were supplied new in Japan. Strange.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    I have seen a number of Jap domestic market supplied bikes (generally race / Homologation style ) where they have no engine numbers. My TZ250U and OW01 are like that. I read somewhere years about this and then checked my bikes. Both of which were supplied new in Japan. Strange.
    replacement cases generally are not numbered so that you can number them the same as per original?
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information