Thread: High Idle 2500-4000 warmed up

Bike
    2019 Ninja

High Idle 2500-4000 warmed up

Hello.
    My bike was running fine. Yesterday riding home I noticed it was idling at 3000. This morning 3000 for the most part but it did hunt between 2000 and 2500 and even go to 4000 at a couple of stops.

It was out in the rain 2 days ago but been ridden I(dry it out), and not been in the rain since. What could I should I check?

On another note the idle does increase when I hard turn right on the handle bars, the throttle body is not moving when this happens tho (wtf no big deal tho I think).

Ideas and help would be appreciated.

Bike
    bandit
    What does it idle at cold?

have a look at where the throttle cable might be catching on and stretching when you turn hard right.

When was the last time you oiled the cable? The rain might have created some internal rust .. and it is sticking. The cable might also be frayed inside the outer - and sticking - when you turn hard right it might be stretching the cable and then it sticks in a different place.

How fast does the engine slow down when you release the throttle?
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Sounds like something has come loose somewhere on the throttle cable, particularly if it's changing when you turn the bars, have a good look at the handlebar and engine ends of the cable and see if something has moved from where it's supposed to be or a loose bit is jamming something.

Easy way to figure out if it's the cable or something else is to take the cable off the engine end (assuming you can get to it), and see if the idle returns to normal with it removed.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    2019 Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    What does it idle at cold?

have a look at where the throttle cable might be catching on and stretching when you turn hard right.

When was the last time you oiled the cable? The rain might have created some internal rust .. and it is sticking. The cable might also be frayed inside the outer - and sticking - when you turn hard right it might be stretching the cable and then it sticks in a different place.

How fast does the engine slow down when you release the throttle?
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    Sounds like something has come loose somewhere on the throttle cable, particularly if it's changing when you turn the bars, have a good look at the handlebar and engine ends of the cable and see if something has moved from where it's supposed to be or a loose bit is jamming something.

Easy way to figure out if it's the cable or something else is to take the cable off the engine end (assuming you can get to it), and see if the idle returns to normal with it removed.

Hi guys thanks for the replies. Had a look and the change is so small I barely thinking it is a concern. As said when i turn the handles the cable is not pulling the throttle body open.
    It is this idle I am worried about.

Last night it was at 2500 cold and warmed up even when i got home with it. I got it down to 2000 by letting the clutch grab to decrease RPM and then released, but it seems like its hunting there. Turned it off and on, idle back to 2500

So strange and nothing has changed just started it up like this.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostinu13 View Post

So strange and nothing has changed just started it up like this.
    The throttle cable hasn't started to fray a bit has it? Maybe not letting it return fully? Have you sprayed a bit of engine start around the inlet manifolds to see if you have an air leak? Opps...Bandit beat me to it regarding the frayed cable.

Bike
    2019 Ninja
    Ok just to make it seem weirder. This morning. Idle cold 2k warmup 1500 which it has been since i got the thing. wtf haha

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    EFI on those have been known to do that

Thread Information