Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda CB750 SOHC

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I finally had a good look over the CB750 I bought. Overall not many surprises - I realised I won't be able to get the rear axle out without either removing the 4-1 or dropping the shocks which is a bit of a pain.

Does anyone know what that little sticky outy part on the swingarm pivot nut is?

It has compression (I kicked it over....) but I havent tried to start it. I know it has carb issues (according to the PO) so I am going to get some carb kits and the usual air and oil filters. It has brand new spark plugs. I dont have the gear to do a compression or leakdown test but once that is done and the thing runs I can go through the obvious..... the major issue with the bike (again, assuming it runs) appears to be the front brake... but thats OK there is a kit for that.

the only really crappy bit I have seen so far is the seat base is fucked. Usual story: rusted through and one hinge has disappeared. Easy fix there is a seat on tardme for $75 which has a good base.

Ima use my trackday spot prize of a set of Metzeler tyres to put new shoes on it.

I dont like the mismatched clocks (like David Bowie's eyes one green one blue - they should be green) but I might go for a motogadget if I can figure out how to remove the speedo drive and tacho drive....

The goal is on the road registered and WOF for next summer. We'll see, but it should be achievable because I have no intention of restoring it or anything like that. Just get it running and ride it round like a $2 hooker.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180513_154235.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	835.8 KB 
ID:	336723   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180513_154207.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	853.0 KB 
ID:	336722  
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    the $2 hooker

Name:	20180513_154235.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	835.8 KB 
ID:	336724  

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Don't put horrible modern guages on, get the old ones fixed, or before you know it you'll be putting a brown seat, exhaust wrap on and thinking

you have a cool bike. I'm over seeing 70's bikes ruined by IPA swilling beardy blokes.

https://www.cb750faces.com/cb750face...-per-hour.html
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    1994 VFR750F, 2006 XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post

Does anyone know what that little sticky outy part on the swingarm pivot nut is?
    It isn't a grease nipple by any chance is it?
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    It isn't a grease nipple by any chance is it?
    possibly.... which is good.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    I finally had a good look over the CB750 I bought. Overall not many surprises - I realised I won't be able to get the rear axle out without either removing the 4-1 or dropping the shocks which is a bit of a pain.
    Shouldn't be too hard to whip the bottom bolts out of the rear shocks then jack the wheel enough to get the axle out, or just rachet the swingarm up to the frame to compress the shocks enough for the axle to clear the exhaust.

Have seen a few swingarm pivots with grease nipples on the end so would suspect a lubrication point.

it should be achievable because I have no intention of restoring it or anything like that. Just get it running and ride it round like a $2 hooker.
    It looks presentable enough to be ridden as is, not everything on the planet needs to be restored, personally I like stuff in 'as found' condition. My favourite recently was a veteran truck created at some point in the distant past from a cut down tourer, has had nothing done after being extracted from a barn other than making it roadworthy.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Danmoto make a halfway decent set of electronic gauges. The round one appeals on a older bike.

http://www.dan-moto.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=133

Be a fraction of the price of a Motogadget which are $300-400 Euro!

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    fuckin hilarious innit? I probably sold that set when I got rid of all the bits of CB750's I collected years ago AGH!

Thanks though!

Bike
    R100GSPD
    if you can get enough slack in the chain so that you can get the adjustors to drop down, the back of the swingarm comes of so the axle can come straight back

Name:	swing.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	336732  

Bike
    Street Triple R
    online shopping rules. carb kits and oil and air filters from ebay and david silver.

I am dithering about an electronic ignition: I hate fiddling with contact breaker points but the ones in the bike look pretty good. The $250 p;us shipping might be better spent elsewhere

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB-75...NRD1wA&vxp=mtr

I have a battery which I can use I think.

So in terms of getting it running we've sorta kinda made a start.

If I can I would like a 1/4 turn throttle but it would need to work with the existing housing so I can retain the switches (assuming they work....).

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Well, good news. Compressions arent too bad (130) and leakdown OK. Carbs have no main jets (which dont come with the carb kits..) so got some on order. with some intake rubbers the ones on it are hard AF and not in a good way.

Hopefully be running pretty soon.

I am dithering about the brakes. I think I want an EBC new disc and to upgrade the pads, recondition the m/cyl and fit a one piece brake line but its quite spendy.

Also dithering about the wheels. they are straight enough and look meh but since I am replacing the tyres I might pull the wheels to bits and powder coat the hubs and rims (matt black) and replace the spokes.

I am so busy that I hardly get time to work on it so progress is fucking slow.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    the $2 hooker
    You're a lawyer. Can't you afford one of them classy $80 hookers?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    You're a lawyer. Can't you afford one of them classy $80 hookers?
    Ironically $80 would be about six minutes work for both of them then

Bike
    Blog Entries

I am dithering about the brakes. I think I want an EBC new disc and to upgrade the pads, recondition the m/cyl and fit a one piece brake line but its quite spendy.
    Brakes are a good place to be spending money though - and the ones of that era are quite frankly shit compared to anything remotely modern. That's progress right there though as when Honda introduced the CB750 with a front disk brake it was the bizz.

Thread Information