Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda CB750 SOHC

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Cor, well was thinking of this thread as I was squeezing what I reckon is a too wide tyre on the GSXR400. It's what size came off and size down from what the internerd sez but fuk it it'll likely never lean past 20degrees with the owner commuting. Once on looked ok. But wasn't beaded. Hence thinking of this thread.

40psi run out of air and no bead. Oh great. Here we go. It had taken me a full hour to debead the 20year since last used tyre. No kidding. Vice for the win, followed by shovel.

Turn compressor on. 60. POP POP.

I feel luckier than you.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Home made bead breaker - works every time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bead breaker 001 (Large).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	341410  
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Get a price from Franks Forks (Forking by Frank) in the USA. He's been producing standard, undersize and oversize fork tubes since the 60's
    A crowd in Brissy are really good and good price too (RAD hard chrome). usually advertise in Aussie Motorcycle news magazine.

or try www.TNK.it may have new ones

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Home made bead breaker - works every time
    I have one similar but hooks under the Van towbar. I call it the Biddleiser named after a mate that had one I coppied. Works everytime you aren't fighting a tyre that has been on for over a decade. Quantum difference.

Got home early and did the front. More vice/crc/shovel. Balanced up a little more difficult than the rear but should be ok now. Beaded at 40psi so that was a relief.

All made harder by Jerry rigged bike stands. Shit my race and even road stuff is so much easier with proper mounting points. Modified my front stand to fit.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    More vice/crc/shovel. .
    CRC ? you be given a slapping for that, bad for the rubber, tends to make it brittle
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    CRC ? you be given a slapping for that, bad for the rubber, tends to make it brittle
    What about my poison Kick, I usually just put a bit of Sunlight liquid in warm water and splash that on as a lubricant? Is that okay on rubber, seems to have been for the last few decades?
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    What about my poison Kick, I usually just put a bit of Sunlight liquid in warm water and splash that on as a lubricant? Is that okay on rubber, seems to have been for the last few decades?
    Same, gets those rims squeaky clean at a sensible sunlight price....
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Oh hell no. Only CRC on the 20+ year old tyre (fully treaded dammit) that was resisting violence to debead it. Skip material anyway. I'm considering angle grinder to avoid someone hooking it out of the landfill and putting it on a bike.

Rim cleaned and Fancy Yamaha brand spray beading lube used on new tyre.

Bike
    husaberg
    We used to use rubber grease to seat the ATV tires. iI would like to think it helped seal up the air until it popped on. Atv ones were always harder to de-bead as well as bead, We mostly used to use the tire company hydraulic de-beader for them. One of the places were i worked had a homemade one like in the picture, but it didn't tend to work on the ATVs. i never used anything more than dish liquid at home for motorbikes, more often nothing, just a bit of talc on the tube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    motocompo
    I shouted myself a tyre machine recently, it was the one thing I constantly had to outwork to others.
    It's like having a superpower.
    And a great source of beer.

Bike
    BSA A10
    I don't think that is as bad but the moisture can cause corrosion
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    I don't think that is as bad but the moisture can cause corrosion
    I don't worry about that with spoked wheels as they can get water in around the tube anyway. At least these days the aluminium rims are a godsend compared to the old steel rims that did rust a lot.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    I don't worry about that with spoked wheels as they can get water in around the tube anyway. At least these days the aluminium rims are a godsend compared to the old steel rims that did rust a lot.
    you still do your road tyres by hand Merv ??
    I weakened with my last set and got Jason here in Leeevin to do mine.Couldn't bust the bead for the life of me.(I took my wheels to him).
    Thought maybe I'd just become a softcock ?
    But I'll try again as that set is now ready to be replaced.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    you still do your road tyres by hand Merv ??
    I weakened with my last set and got Jason here in Leeevin to do mine.Couldn't bust the bead for the life of me.(I took my wheels to him).
    Thought maybe I'd just become a softcock ?
    But I'll try again as that set is now ready to be replaced.
    Funny you should ask Gaz, since I've had the VFR I've always let the shop do its tyres, but I'd usually done trail bike tyres myself and they've all been tubed tyres.

Bugger me though last week I needed a new tyre to be put on my Honda XR250L. In the old days we rode XL and then XR Hondas that were really dirt models on the street. The L model I now have you'd call a dual purpose I suppose and they've got all safety conscious so steel petrol tank instead of plastic etc and DOT standard road/trail tyres. Well I take off the back wheel and tackle getting the tyre off and talk about a stiff carcass tyre. It has been a good tyre plenty of grip on road and trail - it was OEM Dunlop. Broke the bead alright but it was a bit of a mission after that but I at least got it off.

The tyre I replaced it with was a Pirelli MT21 Rallycross tyre, again dual purpose rated, but for the life of me I could not get the damn thing started onto the rim the carcass of the tyre was so stiff. So after much levering and buggering around I took it to TSS and let them put it on for me with the machine. $30 well spent. Perhaps we are just getting too old and weak to do these jobs lol
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Bought a bead breaker, balancing stand and levers a while back. Already had the compressor and I sort of enjoy changging my own tyres, probably the liberation of doing it myself.

Simple green works well as a bead lube at the circuit ��

Thread Information