Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The war on Chicken

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    A real bbq, too! I applaud your efforts. My chook is usually spatchcocked. If you put water into your tray rather than kitty litter it helps to crisp the chicken skin and you can have herbs floating around in it to make you salivate more as it cooks.

Be careful with those pre-formed briquettes. Quite a few of them contain coal.

Top job that man, you must have a palate.

You obviously love your grill rack... As Bernard Matthews used to say, bootiful.
    A friend does the beer can in a chicken thing. In his case it’s on a rotisserie device with the skewer through the can and everything. Good results, although I suspect a lot of that’s down to the charcoal and various fruit tree prunings.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    A friend does the beer can in a chicken thing. In his case it’s on a rotisserie device with the skewer through the can and everything. Good results, although I suspect a lot of that’s down to the charcoal and various fruit tree prunings.
    Yeah, I use plum, Tii Tree or oak from red wine barrels on my coals. Often throw in rosemary, thyme or sage, too. This thread is making me hungry. I feel a trip to the butchers coming on.

When I first heard of the beer can recipe it stated that the chicken was cooked when the can exploded....... I prefer the open can idea TBH.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentonite

huh, reading through that, perhaps calcium bentonite. something to do with evil having positive ions, calcium bentonite, being negatively charged binds the evil and excretes it.

down the page it mentions it's a bulk laxative, so, errr...

grease you say?
    gimmie some, for science.
    In a couple of weeks I expect I will be getting more
    I maybe able to send you some, then. Or ride up and give it to you, the grease that is.

Hard to get off skin, clothes etc.
    Didn't know it bentonite was carcinogenic.
    As a grease mix it wouldn't matter, l guess.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi

When I first heard of the beer can recipe it stated that the chicken was cooked when the can exploded....... I prefer the open can idea TBH.
    Aluminium, won't that poison you?

Apple is good for light flavour, one I like is Pohutakawa chips for chicken/ hot smoked fish which I do a lot. With all these I find to watch the added flavours don't over power the proteins natural flavour.
    Often manuka can be a bit strong, albeit nice, whatever floats yer boat.

I do my outdoor cooked chicks in a Dutch Oven with charcoals as the heat source, they fall off the bone.

Yer "Popcorn Chicken"...recipe...

Find a large chicken, bigger the better. Wash insides well and pat dry. Stuff cavity with pop corn.
    Add herbs and spices if ya loike?
    Place it carefully onto microwave plate, place in microwave. Turn it on and wait.
    When it explodes...it is done.

O.K nicked from a web site abridged the gist of alloy believe it or not, I guess it is debunked?

" Beyond cookware, aluminum is naturally found in rocks, minerals, clay and soil -- which is how it ends up in the plants we eat. It is also added to many processed foods. Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates the average adult consumes 7 to 9 mg of aluminum daily from foods, not including the amount that can leach into food by cooking with aluminum pots or pans. In addition, aluminum is added to many consumer goods, including some antacids, buffered aspirin, toothpaste, nasal spray and some cosmetics. As much as 100 to 200 mg aluminum is found in some antacid tablets, for example.
    The amount of this metal that leaches into food from aluminum cookware and utensils depends on a variety of factors. Acidic foods, such as tomato sauce, cause more aluminum to leach from this cookware compared to the effects of lower-acid foods, such as chicken or meat. Prolonged food contact with this metal -- such as longer cooking also increases the amount that seeps into the food. A study published in the September 1985 issue of “Journal of Food Protection” estimated food contact with aluminum pans or foil can add an average of 3.5 mg aluminum to the daily diet, an amount the study considered insufficient to constitute a health hazard.
    The body derives no benefits from aluminum, which can be inhaled, ingested or absorbed through the skin. However, aluminum is very poorly absorbed, making oral intake from cookware or foods less concerning. A report published in the February 2001 issue of “Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology” notes that less than 1 percent of ingested aluminum gets into the blood, most of which is excreted in the urine. However, people with severe kidney disease can retain higher amounts of aluminum in their bodies, which can lead to dementia, anemia or bone disease.
    Aluminum and Alzheimer's Disease
    In the 1960’s, when aluminum was initially suspected to be a causative agent in Alzheimer’s disease, concerns arose about the safety of using aluminum cookware. While this safety issue has not been fully resolved, dietary aluminum is no longer a major suspect in this disease.
    Precautions
    While aluminum cookware may not pose health concerns, it’s probably best to stick with cooking low-acid foods in these pots and pans. Other cookware options include glass, stainless steel, modern enamel and cast-iron."
    Last edited by granstar; 25th April 2018 at 16:54. Reason: Just feckin because! O.K!
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    That was some info....

IIRC aluminium is a cumulative toxin. A lot of people are allergic to it, my G/F for one.

I actually like aluminium pans, they conduct heat well and evenly, often outperforming expensive laminated base steel pans.

Thing is, the metal does not like acid, alkali or salt. If any of those are in contact with it and heat + liquid is applied it will react. Ever had something in the oven covered in foil and when you pull it out the foil is full of holes? That's the reaction. Ali pans don't like steel utensils, either. The steel will grind ali into your food.

If I'm using tin foil for roasting I always put a layer of baking paper on first to prevent contact from the foil.

As for sticking a can of lager up a chickens date, it's a waste of beer IMHO, a novelty along the lines of cam cover cooking. Much rather stuff it full of rooster booster with a bit of smoky bacon and some garlic.

I have soaked chickens in red wine for 2 days. Left me a bit underwhelmed. Just as well the wine was cheep.

I feel like not too many on kb are being put off chicken tonight.

My G/F falls off the bone if I give her a Dutch oven.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    In a couple of weeks I expect I will be getting more
    I maybe able to send you some, then. Or ride up and give it to you, the grease that is.

Hard to get off skin, clothes etc.
    Didn't know it bentonite was carcinogenic.
    As a grease mix it wouldn't matter, l guess.
    i skim-read it's benefits as a grease. not sure I have any application for it.
    everything is carcinogenic if you live long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    Aluminium, won't that poison you?
    no.
    apparently aluminium oxide is one of the most abundant things on earth's surface (i say apparently because i was told and haven't fact-checked) and foundry workers, even with measurably elevated levels in their blood/piss/whatever, suffer none of the ill effects, nor have higher incidences of alzheimers than the GP.

Apple is good for light flavour, one I like is Pohutakawa chips for chicken/ hot smoked fish which I do a lot. With all these I find to watch the added flavours don't over power the proteins natural flavour.
    Often manuka can be a bit strong, albeit nice, whatever floats yer boat.

I do my outdoor cooked chicks in a Dutch Oven with charcoals as the heat source, they fall off the bone.
    1) cold-smoke with your manuka for all the flavour and none of the sting.
    I've been known to do chicken, goat and possum in the stainless-box, with dry manuka sawdust (run sunflower oil in your chainsaw) to good effect.
    a pre-marinade helps, and even put a water-dish in to keep moisture up, or burn cooler.

B) dutch ovens are for professional manly-men.
    don't know i've ever done a chicken in one. mostly pork, venison and beef boil-ups.
    I did a superling pork, red wine and winter veg thing that lasted about 2 weeks.

IIRC aluminium is a cumulative toxin. A lot of people are allergic to it, my G/F for one.

I actually like aluminium pans, they conduct heat well and evenly, often outperforming expensive laminated base steel pans.

Thing is, the metal does not like acid, alkali or salt. If any of those are in contact with it and heat + liquid is applied it will react. Ever had something in the oven covered in foil and when you pull it out the foil is full of holes? That's the reaction. Ali pans don't like steel utensils, either. The steel will grind ali into your food.

If I'm using tin foil for roasting I always put a layer of baking paper on first to prevent contact from the foil.

As for sticking a can of lager up a chickens date, it's a waste of beer IMHO, a novelty along the lines of cam cover cooking. Much rather stuff it full of rooster booster with a bit of smoky bacon and some garlic.

I have soaked chickens in red wine for 2 days. Left me a bit underwhelmed. Just as well the wine was cheep.

i don't worry about it. but i don't use it much oither.
    i have a choice of cast, heavy stainless, ally, teflon-coated-ally and copper-bottom-stainless pots n pans. depending on what i'm doing. but heavy stainless is my go-to.

much of the teflon has scraped off some of my older ally ones (wasn't me), which can't do much for health. but they're usually coated in lard anyway.

rbgfiafp.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    https://wikihow.com/Make-Charcoal

not hard, my recommendation would be to punch a single hole in the top of your drum (/paint can, if doing small bits), it will flare off, (you can reclaim this with plumbing - it's methanol. just don't let the police know you've got it because it's illegal without paperwork.) once it stops flaring it's done. cover the hole and cool slowly.

lots charcoal. cheap. and an excuse to bonfire and beer.
    learnt something new today

5th November a time to remember
    gunpowder, fire and pot?

I always thought it was just a form of coal, dug from the ground.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    learnt something new today

5th November a time to remember
    gunpowder, fire and pot?

I always thought it was just a form of coal, dug from the ground.
    shit no. coal is a different beastie all together. made from long-dead plantshit.
    charcoal is made from recently-dead-and-mostly-burned plantshit. (can also be made from any other carbon-based organic matter, bones, ie)

Bike
    That was some info....

Thing is, the metal does not like acid, alkali or salt.

layer of baking paper on first to prevent contact from the foil.

As for sticking a can of lager up a chickens date, it's a waste of beer.

Stuff full of rooster booster with a bit of smoky bacon and some garlic.

I have soaked chickens in red wine for 2 days. Left me a bit underwhelmed.

1/ true
    2/ keeps meat moist too
    3/ bread stuffing, bacon, garlic, lemon.
    4/ Brown sugar/ salt water (basically a brine) for couple days in fridge tenderises. try port wine.
    5/ Try KFC, that should do it.
    6/ without consumption of anything foul..er fowl.

Bike

no.
    apparently aluminium oxide is one of the most abundant things on earth's surface.

1) cold-smoke with your manuka for all the flavour and none of the sting.
    I've been known to do chicken, goat and possum in the stainless-box, with dry manuka sawdust

B) dutch ovens are for professional manly-men.
    don't know i've ever done a chicken in one. mostly pork, venison and beef boil-ups.
    I did a superling pork, red wine and winter veg thing that lasted about 2 weeks.

i have a choice of cast.

rbgfiafp.
    A/ Must be me but canned beer is shite compared to bottled.
    1/ I use hot smoker which is an old fridge, trouble with stainless box types is meat is too close to meat and over smokes it. I have a s/s with an extension box, but prefer the old fridge. Cold smoke is great if you have the time, did hams and bacon in the butcher shop with that method.

B/ Trouble is when I dutch oven cook the food all disappears rather quickly the same night. Legs lamb and pork roasts popular.

2/ Cast my preference especially for cooking steaks.
    Last edited by granstar; 26th April 2018 at 20:34. Reason: Heh!

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    B/ Trouble is when I dutch oven cook the food all disappears rather quickly the same night. Legs lamb and pork roasts popular.
    yeah, tell me about it, can't keep the others away long enough for me to have a good feed

always good. meat just falls off the bone and is always tasty.
    oysters this weekend but not dutch oven style, may have to do a beer batter mmmmm

Bike
    https://wikihow.com/Make-Charcoal

just don't let the police know you've got it because it's illegal without paperwork.) once it stops flaring it's done. cover the hole and cool slowly.

lots charcoal. cheap. and an excuse to bonfire and beer.
    I always start with the paperwork unless doing #2's. Yeah ya don't want the Popo or Fire chaps there, they tend to stand all over your garden.
    Any excuse for an outdoor cooked meal with beer chasers is a goody

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    yeah, tell me about it, can't keep the others away long enough for me to have a good feed

always good. meat just falls off the bone and is always tasty.
    oysters this weekend but not dutch oven style, may have to do a beer batter mmmmm

After a good feed oysters, beers, and a chance a few whisky's i'm sure a dutch oven could be arranged, but as has been stated it may affect the meat falling off the bone

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    A/ Must be me but canned beer is shite compared to bottled.
    1/ I use hot smoker which is an old fridge, trouble with stainless box types is meat is too close to meat and over smokes it. I have a s/s with an extension box, but prefer the old fridge. Cold smoke is great if you have the time, did hams and bacon in the butcher shop with that method.

2/ Cast my preference especially for cooking steaks.
    rbgfiafp.

42> depends on the steak. a dino t-bone i'll go in cast. veal eye gets seared both sides on fat stainless plate, rare blue.
    sirloins get the char grill (usually manuka-totara because that's what i kill most of) to medium rare.
    c) shite beer is shite all day long, cans or bottles. there was the old NZ glass co, "glass delivers the taste"
    i've had good canned beer and shit bottled beer, so the jury is out on that one.
    q: invite less hungry people.

Bike
    rbgfiafp.

42> depends on the steak. a dino t-bone i'll go in cast. veal eye gets seared both sides on fat stainless plate, rare blue.
    sirloins get the char grill (usually manuka-totara because that's what i kill most of) to medium rare.
    c) shite beer is shite all day long, cans or bottles. there was the old NZ glass co, "glass delivers the taste"
    i've had good canned beer and shit bottled beer, so the jury is out on that one.
    q: invite less hungry people.
    tyfta...YES

Thread Information