Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Engagement With Motorcyclists

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    I wonder if it would be a good strategy to get beside a group with some profile (eg Ulysees) and get them to push with you. May get less resistance that way.
    Good call, thats where I would be looking

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...sounds just like starting a new class of bike or formula in our club racing calendars...then trying to interest other clubs...then MNZ...then Members, and then wonder why, a couple of seasons down the track why anyone would bother trying to get a consensus in our silly little country...pushing shit uphill with a pointy stick...

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    You could maybe start with those new to riding a motor bike. (Not yet as bigoted as the rest of us). Maybe ask sellers of bikes to help recruit. Longer term but it just might work...

If you learn good skills first they'll stick.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I thought that was what you did in your old job as a riding school instructor. Do you miss the job and would like to be doing it again or even going back to being a bike cop again?
    I'm just looking at a new opportunity, and how to leverage it to prevent road deaths.

The motorcycle road death numbers are a problem, but are also an opportunity.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystone View Post
    With something shiny.

Make a day of it, tag on some safety shit with a dyno day, hillclimb event, spannering evening, poker run, club night, orgy, etc...

Those who are easy to reach by traditional means are often not the ones that need it.
    mmmmmmmm spannering evening.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    These responses have helped, thanks.

It looks like there are those who can't be reached. But that doesn't mean I won't try.
    A small incentive may be enough to bring a good number of the "I do not need to do anything about my riding skills" set over for a closer look.

I was heartened when I heard Ulysses want their mentors to be at least of IAM Advanced Test standard, so the tide is slowly turning

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    1. Bikini bike wash (not you in the bikini)

2. If you are starting local, if you park up at the cafe at Little River on a nice Saturday or Sunday you'll find a lot of motorcyclists to chat to.

3. Sat morning at alternative bike shops. Presuming the bike shops are on board, I'd assume so as they don't really want their customers dying.

As a group I find we like incentives - discounts and the likes - why not try to get a tyre company or something on board offering rebates or something on new tyres if they do a course or whatever you are planning.

Bike
    suzuki
    If I wanted to engage with motorcyclists, where would I start?

On here? Motorcycle shops? Clubs? Facebook?

The subject would be our safety on the road. Not a sexy subject, and one which isn't sold easily.

Nobody thinks it'll happen to them. The crash. So nobody sees the need to change to prevent it.

Where would someone start?
    how about starting with the delivery company in wellington that has what looks like oven trays lashed to the back of their bikes, and a box on top, a lot of the riders have the same skill set as their bike set up to, cringeworthy to say the least...,

i think the subject is easily sold, to those that want to hear, i think there's quite a bit been done already through all these places mentioned too, dunno whether you can dig deeper or not.
    how many are you targeting? where, are you trying to preach to an individual or club?
    wandering the streets and talking to riders at their bikes is one way, pretty easy to call them out on a shortcoming like putting their helmet over a gas cap, something that they don't know about and engage them that way i've found...

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    , pretty well all motorcyclists hate other motorcyclists except their immediate friends and occasionally other people at a specific rally.
    Is that really your experience, if so it really is a shame because it certainly is not mine as a general rule.
    my experience generally has been quite the opposite, i find that if im sitting having a coffee or beer and im in my riding gear people quite often come up and say hi, and these people are nearly always motorcyclists or have ridden in the past, and if im out and about tripping around and i say gidday to another motorcyclist they generally are quite keen to have a yarn and that doesn't matter what they ride or how they look, even the dredded patched ones are quite happy to have a yarn and a laugh.
    people are people and its surprising how many are willing to stop and have a quick chat if ya look em in the eye and say "hows it goin".

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    A proper travelling roadshow (similar to safedrive in the UK) targeting events like those that have been mentioned as well as rallies etc and high schools also.
    Publicity, marketing and the costs involved and the crippler though...look how short lived the TV ad campaign was for the Ride Forever push

One of the TV channels is currently searching ideas for a new program, contemplate a something encompassing all aspects of motorcycling in NZ something weekly travelling the country showing events, some of the great rides, shop visits, collectors etc, a highlight of key parts of what the roadshow presents to attendees, a calendar of up coming events & the such like.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Sounds interesting.

But what about social media? YouToob biking vids filmed in NZ could be a big hit, not just here.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Too funny – we were having almost the exact same conversation yesterday in the car. A visiting relative was asking if we still rode as much as we used to (we don’t) and about the higher than normal rate of fatalities this year. To be honest I don’t know what’s happened but some days it feels as if the joy has been sucked out of motorcycling and it’s been squeezed into a hole by people with a vested interest in making $$. It’s getting to a point where I just don’t care to participate anymore – you are just a means to an end to an industry that couldn’t care less…

Of course your life would be a lot simpler if there was a single sort of motorcyclist but alas we are a series of rigidly structured substrata of styles with very little cross cover. And it appears that while the powers that be predictably hate motorcycles, pretty well all motorcyclists hate other motorcyclists except their immediate friends and occasionally other people at a specific rally.

Sadly – you will need to shape your approach differently to the different tribes and even then you will struggle to connect. I’ve become very wary of anything like this as its always going to cost me money and time and designed to leave me feeling hopelessly inadequate unless I sign up for 10 self-improvement courses today. We all have wallets swelling with loyalty schemes and special offers that offer neither loyalty nor anything special. Whatever you are offering needs to be very good to get any attention these days…
    Wow Paul, can't agree with you, pleased to see I wasn't the only one...

Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    Is that really your experience, if so it really is a shame because it certainly is not mine as a general rule.
    my experience generally has been quite the opposite, i find that if im sitting having a coffee or beer and im in my riding gear people quite often come up and say hi, and these people are nearly always motorcyclists or have ridden in the past, and if im out and about tripping around and i say gidday to another motorcyclist they generally are quite keen to have a yarn and that doesn't matter what they ride or how they look, even the dredded patched ones are quite happy to have a yarn and a laugh.
    people are people and its surprising how many are willing to stop and have a quick chat if ya look em in the eye and say "hows it goin".
    Yeah I reckon riders are riders, face to face most of em are easy enough to chat to, whether they be wearing a Police uniform right thru to a gang patch. Bit hard to convince any significant number to look at changing their ways, in one on one scenarios. Not all of em want to even look at changing anyway, and that's gotta be respected. But can we draw in a number of the guys n gals who ride, by putting together some sort of social media snippet showing that riding safely need not be boring? As for Youtube stuff, yes all for that, but not of the bike mounted GoPro variety please...that sends most folks to sleep. We'd have to venture to drone type footage showing riding lines etc. Maybe even some track time, heck even some of us so-called boring IAM farts venture onto the track

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Enter Nigel Latta?

needs something/someone who can connect with target groups

something like one with Mick Doohan in Australia? (NZds National Park)

not just safety but all all aspects of motorcycling

a panel of guests? Taking about stuff, places to go, how to get involved.

people off KB for real kiwi feeling.

it would be like herding cats
    Last edited by eldog; 30th April 2018 at 22:50. Reason: few extra thoughts

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    3. Sat morning at alternative bike shops. Presuming the bike shops are on board, I'd assume so as they don't really want their customers dying.
    I guess if all the bike shops were on board to the point that whenever anyone bought anything they were handed a flyer promoting whatever it is you want to do, that could at least get the message in front of a lot of people. I mean the one thing we probably all do is go to bike shops (not necessarily just dealers tho). As stated, the incentive for the dealers is to keep the punters around to spend more money with them.

I wonder how much chance there would be of getting one person in each shop as a sort of 'Safety Ambassador'. It sounds a bit of a wanky title but it might be effective to have a person in each place to push the safety message more than in just the run of the mill ways ... including liaising with you and even working together. I'd love to stay and expand on this but Mrs Oakie wants me to do something.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    So old you won't care
    These responses have helped, thanks.

It looks like there are those who can't be reached. But that doesn't mean I won't try.
    OK serious advice...

I am an engineer BUT I have spent time in marketing and sales.

You need a marketing / sales strategy / plan. It does not need to be flash and its got to be flexible enough to resonate with the disparate groups / tribes that make up motorcycling. I.e. the food delivery companies using little bikes / scooters will definitely be interested as a way of meeting their obligations under H&S but will require urban focuses that say adventure riders might find less applicable. Cruiser riders need a different set of tools to say sports bike riders. Yes the techniques will be similar but the delivery should change to resonate with a group. Your plan will include key events that you attend and a list of companies ets to call. You have to really work at this. You seem like a good guy but that's not enough, you have to actively sell and stick to your plan. You MUST make X number of calls a day...

If it was me – reaching individuals is too much for a one man band so you need to go to where motorcyclists are in large numbers. Find out where all the rallies and race meetings are and set up shop. You will need a decent website and banners / marquee for these events. People will look for you on google via their mobiles so a good mobile friendly site is essential. You need to try to get maximum impact for less effort so going to where motorcyclists are in numbers rather than a one on one approach.

Once you have a customer you will need to focus on a good customer database that allows you to sell additional services to existing customers. If you have done a good job with a previous customer that’s easier than getting new people across the threshold. Emails best for this as mail out cost a lot.

You can try (say) approaching importers or large resellers and see if they would be interested in providing a free to the purchaser session (they pay you) as an extra when selling a new bike etc. the old ‘are you getting the most out of your new bike?’ deal. Pillion riding tips??? Guest experts to run courses on off road riding etc..

Thread Information