Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Engagement With Motorcyclists

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    The draft TAIP is one element by which the Transport Agency gives effect to the draft Government Policy Statement on land transport (GPS) and its strategic priorities of:

a safe system, free from death and serious injury

The writing is on the wall here fellas, motorcycles to be made illegal by 2020 I reckon
    Given they explicitly call for something about motorcycle routes (as in my post just above) I wouldn't be all doom and gloom just yet.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    From your reply I guess you dont know what truly riding a bike is either fuckwit?
    No - from my reply you can guess that I think you're a pedantic fuckwit ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    Rastus given it is related to your new job do you think you can find out what NZTA mean in the TAIP (https://www.nzta.govt.nz/planning-an...posal-2018-27/) when they talk about "motorcycle routes". I read something about SH2 around Wellington but not finding a whole bunch of detail. Is it an expansion of what they attempted around coro with the safer barriers etc. or is it something else?
    I think Rastus will be busy doing radio jingles and billboards this week

Last year 'they' asked riders what their favourite routes were and these have become the 'motorcycle routes' you mention. There is a website available with all of them shown. On those routes any new barrier has to have under run protection but at the moment that is all they are doing, certainly down here. Other stuff from Coromandel will no doubt appear on some of the more popular routes, like the one over the hill to Featherston.

They'll probably link the favourite routes with the high risk motorcycle routes based on crashes and try and prioritise any improvements on that. There are loads of favourite routes across the country but in comparison relatively few high risk routes. Wellington has a few of them mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    The writing is on the wall here fellas, motorcycles to be made illegal by 2020 I reckon
    I'll have $20 that they won't.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Two days til i start the new job. Who knows what it's going to bring.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Two days til i start the new job. Who knows what it's going to bring.
    I trust it brings a pay pocket once a week...

Hope you start each day with a spring in your step, despite the challenges...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    I trust it brings a pay pocket once a week...

Hope you start each day with a spring in your step, despite the challenges...
    Fortnightly.

Significantly less than the average salary as published in today's Press. Money isn't my motivation.

Bike
    2014 BMW G650GS
    Rastuscat, I hope your first day is good and the ones that follow are even better.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    After listening to a news report about teenagers dying while trying to outrun the police, my teenager made the point that while there is quite a lot of road safety teaching done wirh the help of police in primary school, there is none at high school. Just an observation from one problem demographic...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Yes, it always makes me smile how much debate goes on post-crash about whose fault it is. To be clear, fault matters little when it comes to the outcome of the crash you just had.

If you own the crash, you have a chance to learn from it. If you just sit back and play the blame game you leave the solution to someone else.

We can also learn from other peoples crashes. But only if that person learns from it themselves.

It's all a bit psychological, but it comes down to this. If you own the problem, you own the solution.
    +1
    It can take a while to acknowledge the problem, no matter who or what is at fault.
    accepting the outcome can be difficult.
    finding the solution isn’t always easy, self blame and fear can play a part.
    but support, time and giving oneself space, can improve the outcome.

while I think owning the problem is valuable it doesn’t always automatically generate a solution.
    Add time.

i find looking at other situations helps a lot. Most people wouldn’t/could be bothered.

most are self absorbed on the road

vary what you do on the road, so you become different from the masses.
    change intersection scenery so people don’t become complacent.
    eg different patterns for rumble strips

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    After listening to a news report about teenagers dying while trying to outrun the police, my teenager made the point that while there is quite a lot of road safety teaching done wirh the help of police in primary school, there is none at high school. Just an observation from one problem demographic...
    I'm torn. Conflicted even. I really am. I got pinged once for trying to outrun the po po on a motorbike. I would have got away except I was in a strange part of town..... and when I was young we did some stupid stupid shit in cars. Stupid. and we were lucky. There was the one kid in my school who died when he rolled his mums car. Window down arm out the window, car rolled over, arm off, bled to death apparently. But I never liked him and I liked him even less when the whole school had to go and stand outside while they drove the funeral procession through the school. Bit of a heavy handed lesson that one. And I learned to drive (properly) on a shingle road in a government issued Ford Sierra. Twas great. putting cars in ditches and getting them out again, hoping your mum didnt notice the grass between the wheelrim and the tyre "How did that get there??" "what "?

But nowadays it isnt all about hijinks and friendly japes - it seems lots of idiots think that GTA - V is real and you can do stuff in cars that they do, or they see in a Fast and Flatulent movie. And they die. Plus they seem like fuckwits and its just the gene pool giving itself a bit of a clean. But then I think about how lucky me and my friends were. Cars go faster now. Theres more traffic and less shingle roads. maybe theres more teenage idiots too?

Like I say, conflicted.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    One of the issues there is that high schools are already packed to the gills with stuff that is deemed important. I have a degree of sympathy with them.

They are expected to deliver the stuff that parents used to, like how to be a decent citizen, how to manage in today's world, how to avoid prison, and not least, how to gain NCEA credits.

Trying to pack driving or road safety lessons into the curriculum too just makes the poor principals glaze over, as they have to think what to delete from the programme to accommodate new stuff.

Just a sympathetic note for teachers.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    One of the issues there is that high schools are already packed to the gills with stuff that is deemed important. I have a degree of sympathy with them.

They are expected to deliver the stuff that parents used to, like how to be a decent citizen, how to manage in today's world, how to avoid prison, and not least, how to gain NCEA credits.

Trying to pack driving or road safety lessons into the curriculum too just makes the poor principals glaze over, as they have to think what to delete from the programme to accommodate new stuff.

Just a sympathetic note for teachers.
    Yeah that was going through my mind while I listened to yesterday's "sermon at breakfast".
    The point was that having gone to the trouble of having Constable Keith engage primary kids with positive messages about road safety, and simultaniously demystifying the police a bit, most of that learning was being eroded at high school (for any number of reasons) but may have been reinforced by having Seargent Stephanie be a part of the driver education, which is already taught and is worth some NCEA credits. And perhaps maintain a more positive relationship with all the Police Pauls and Paulines.

But who knows, that's just what my teen thought yesterday...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    Rastus given it is related to your new job do you think you can find out what NZTA mean in the TAIP (https://www.nzta.govt.nz/planning-an...posal-2018-27/) when they talk about "motorcycle routes". I read something about SH2 around Wellington but not finding a whole bunch of detail.
    Nobody asked when I said there was a website but as I do like a good bun fight here's the link for your entertainment - https://roadsafetyrisk.co.nz/maps/mo...t-risk/regions

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Nobody asked when I said there was a website but as I do like a good bun fight here's the link for your entertainment - https://roadsafetyrisk.co.nz/maps/mo...t-risk/regions
    Thanks, that is quite interesting

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    I add not getting ripped of on acc levvys . Have seen how cheap it is in uk. Cant tell me they dont have simlar accident rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can't tell you about the accident rates, but for the 5 years I lived there in the later 80's early 90's they are far more courteous driers.

At the time I rated NZ driving as about as good as Spanish/Portugese and slighty better then Greece and Turkey.

The UK has totally different roads to here, NZ roads other than the tiny motorway network are not suited to 100 kmph as the terrain is

constantly changing and will not suffer a moments inattention without courting Mr Darwin. Add Smart Phones and Dumb Users into the mix

and its amplified.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Thread Information