Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions/Advice

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Fuel is generally available in around 150 km spacing's in daylight (business) hours. However ... the price you pay for it in some places may vary considerably ....
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    ...The other condition (because we don't want it to be too easy) is that the bike has to be European and/or a two-stroke. So long as it falls within those guidelines, anything goes...
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...dc782f61452363

Hehe...
    Oh I saw that... If it (or something similar) is available when the time comes, it'll be a strong contender!

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Map2: Leaving flat point, go back past Gladstone but then go straight ahead onto Longbush rd to Martinborough, then left at the town square onto Lake Ferry rd, then turn right onto Kahutara rd, left onto the East/West access rd, then right onto Western Lake rd to Featherston. Continue from there.
    Cheers! I'll have a squizz and run it by the others!

[edit]Just had a look, looks good to me! Cheers for the pointer![/edit]

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Fuel is generally available in around 150 km spacing's in daylight (business) hours. However ... the price you pay for it in some places may vary considerably ....
    Yeah that's much the same here. There is a well known "Russian Roulette" ride here from a small town called Westaway out to Strathgordon Dam. It's about 100ish km each way with no police and awesome awesome roads which people struggle to stay within the speed limit along. No petrol between the two. I know several people who have run dry on the return trip. Personally, I've got all my crazy, knee-down playing out of the way. I enjoy having a bit of a squirt and a razz every now and then but gone are the days of pinning a superbike on public roads.. it stops being fun and gets scary serious too quickly.. And expensive if you balls it up.. That's what tracks and trackbikes are for!
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    When are you doing this trip?

There might be worthwhile events happening or guys here that will come along for part of that trip if you want more company, if you put the expected dates in you might get more suggestions.

I'm also looking at suggests (like riding the Caitlins) for my trip in Jan/Feb from the Waikato to Invercargill and back, which will include Bike Week, Vincent County Rally & Burt Munro Rally. I've asked the boss for 5 weeks leave, should give me enough time for some good touring.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Very fair call, I didn't even think of the very basic maths being that'd be 450kms a day haha!

So two and a half weeks minimum, do you reckon?
    Try looking at your probable average moving speed. And don't think it will always be 100 km/hr ... even on a shiny BMW. A large proportion of your route makes that difficult ... if not impossible.

450 per day is not that difficult if your intention is to ride ... and not stop everywhere there's a cafe.

If you're not ride fit ... the first two days will kill you due to tiredness. 450 km's equates to about 5.5 hrs (riding time) on a bike easily capable of 100 km/hr.

A 7.30 am start and 4-5 pm finish with stops mid morning and afternoon (and a good lunch break) and you'd be good. A trial run for a two day weekend would tell you if you can cope. It would not be a great idea to go without a trial run ... on a less than capable machine.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    We've had another thought with our trip.

Obviously there is the Cold Kiwi Rally in late Aug/early Sep which we're all pretty keen to suss out (it's huuugely similar to an event we have over here) but we're hoping on doing our mission during the warmer months of the year.

Is there any late Spring/Summer equivalent Rally?
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Is there any late Spring/Summer equivalent Rally?
    https://www.burtmunrochallenge.co.nz
    I've been to the last two and will be at the next one, really good motorcycle rally IMO.

I'm also going to this: http://www.bikeweeknz.com
    And this: http://www.bronzotago.nz/vcr

There are other South Island rallies too, and a bunch of good roads for motorcycling.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Thread Information