Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ACC - Born Again Riders

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    It was another poster that said the fact that many riders can not afford to register for a whole year would lower the number of motorcycle ACC claims due to only riding for part of the year. Now applying the same high cost e.g. $550 to car registration would mean many cars would only be registered for part of the year would it not resulting in fewer car crashes too.
    So the other poster was wrong in their thinking according to you but we will never know unless high rego is charged across the board and not just to motorcyclists.
    Tell you what... do a search and find that post...

meanwhile, I'll stand be what I've said... raising the licence fee* will only increase the number of unlicenced vehicles on the road...

* BTW, which part of the licence fee are you going to increase? The actual licence fee or the ACC levy?

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Have a read of post #8 by Oakie who said with fewer riders on the road for a full year would mean less motorcycle accidents or as you think everyone would ride unlicensed and take a punt at not being caught anyway.
    Yes, I did read Oakie's post. He did not say "with fewer riders on the road for a full year would mean less motorcycle accidents", he posed a question, see below, which is quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    ...I guess you could also say that if a significant number of people are putting their rego on hold over winter would that also lower the accident rate through people not riding in more dangerous conditions so less accidents may eventually lead to lower ACC levies?

Bike
    So old you won't care
    I dont give a fat rats fck

While I can afford it I'll ride when I want... Some shits bigger than $$

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Please explain where I have advocated a right to sue? .

Fucks sake read it - I was replying to a quote from Oakie.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Whats your thoughts?

Is there any way of making them know their stupidy? If you actually agree with the above scenario I have pointed out?
    There are two main groups of riders ... those that ride ALL year round anyway ... and those that don't.

Those that ride for the full year pay the full amount. Those that don't pay for the months they find convenient and comfortable for them.

An increasing number doing the latter ... thus reducing the total $$$ to their respective recipients. (Maybe risking legislation changes to increase "On Hold" minimum periods to 12 months)

But ... if with a lesser ACC portion ... it might mean more riders will elect the full year licensing fees.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Please explain where I have advocated a right to sue? However safer roads would no doubt result if a fear of losing ones house was the punishment for a serious "at fault" crash.
    Avocation for a fault based system is the automatic avocation for the right to sue. The two go hand in hand ...

And ... ALL your posts thus far have strongly indicated a huge fear of actually being at fault.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2011 BMW F650GS
    My two wheeled “fleet” comprises four motorcycles currently. In the good old days one of the LAMS approved 650’s would be registered for the full year as would my street legal 250 trail bike so I always had two bikes that I could ride at any time. Which one I rode depended on the season and the roads that were to be travelled. A trip to Auckland [350km each way] would be the 650 and into the local supermarket [42km each way including 14km of nice muddy/dusty gravel] would be the trail bike. Nice and simple.

Then ACC upped the ACC levy part of the annual registration costs by a huge margin. So the 650 is now registered for the 6 or so months of summer and the 250 does the rest of the year. I’m not going to be riding a motorcycle in NZ over the next 6 weeks so the big bike’s rego expires this Thursday and will go on hold. The currently on hold 250 will be registered in 6 or 7 weeks time – probably for three months. So while I’m unable to ride in NZ, with preplanning, I won’t be paying any motorcycle based ACC levies. It isn’t a huge saving but it is still a saving.

The other two motorcycles are on hold full time – only coming off if I desperately need a big bike to do a decent trip – and then the big bike will only be registered for as short a time as possible. This only happens in the winter when the 250 is my weapon of choice. I’ve posted posts in other sections on how I do this legally.

So my ACC levies have increased but not by very much.

There’s an increased risk of accident when I use one of the bikes that is not super suited to the trip I’m doing – but ACC covers me even if I’m riding a knobbie tyred 250 in the pissing rain on the tar bled slick roads of Northland in the dark. You’ll have to take my word for it that this is a truly awesome experience. ACC also covers me on the road tyred fully faired 650 when I’m slightly sideways [sometimes a little more than slightly] in the gravel.

One of the joys of user pays is that the reciprocal also applies – if I’m having to pay then I’m entitled to use. Best simple example of this is Auckland’s wheelie bins. As an ex Auckland ratepayer I was levied a flat compulsory fee in my rates for 52 bin empties. So my bin went out to the gate every week to be emptied by the big truck – even if there was only 1kg of rubbish in it. I’d paid for 52 empties so I was going to use all of them.

So my use of an unsuitable vehicle for the journey increases the risk of ACC having to pay for a crash – as it increases the risk of me having one. But there’s no extra charge placed on my unsuitable use just as there’s no discount for not making a motorcycle based ACC claim in the last 43 years of active riding. I’m not planning to crash but if I do ACC picks up the tab no matter how stupid the reason[s] for the crash.

And Cassina – this does NOT mean that I agree at all with your ongoing [exceedingly boring] suggestions that at fault people should pay more. That is NOT how ACC works.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Speaking as the recipient of some mighty fine ACC help, I am now glad I paid my bit. Getting it back in spades now. When self employed and when registering my bikes for over 30 years I always felt a bit of a grudge parting with that coin......now, fucken beaudy.........

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    There’s an increased risk of accident when I use one of the bikes that is not super suited to the trip I’m doing – but ACC covers me even if I’m riding a knobbie tyred 250 in the pissing rain on the tar bled slick roads of Northland in the dark. You’ll have to take my word for it that this is a [B]truly awesome [/B]experience. ACC also covers me on the road tyred fully faired 650 when I’m slightly sideways [sometimes a little more than slightly] in the gravel.
    Yup, exceedingly focusing. But fun in a strange kinda way.

Good point on cover regardless of how appropriate (or otherwise) the bike is for purpose.

Oh, we've just had 4 inches of rain in an hour.. That's why we didn't get up this weekend, might have got stuck at your place.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    But I have said numerous times my crashes were not my fault. Its those at fault who should be paying the higher ACC not those without an "at fault" history. By experiencing a "not at fault" crash yourself I am sure you will change your way of thinking and that goes for others on here who think the same way too.
    You are a fuckwit.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    No the only fuckwits are people like you that think no one should pay a penalty for doing anything wrong. I bet if you were in power you would close down the jails and justice system then irrespective of what people do right or wrong they can never be found at fault for anything. I read a media story last year that stated "Life is Cheap on Kiwi Roads". The way you think it always should be eh sport??
    If someone breaks the law whilst driving and causes an accident and/or injury/death then they should indeed pay a penalty but that is not ACCs job to dish the penalty out rather it is the justice systems job.

You are seriously confused*

*And a fuckwit.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    Dont have one now
    But I have said numerous times my crashes were not my fault. Its those at fault who should be paying the higher ACC not those without an "at fault" history. By experiencing a "not at fault" crash yourself I am sure you will change your way of thinking and that goes for others on here who think the same way too.
    Really..........?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    But I have said numerous times my crashes were not my fault.
    The cry of those who can't accept personal responsibility.

Whose fault it is means little. Look for solutions, regardless of fault.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    Insurance is already based on 'at fault' accidents, people still have accidents and not having an accident could be just dumb luck for some people.

A discount from doing Gold ACC courses or a similar training courses might encourage people to improve their riding, which could reduce the number of road accidents and then lower the levy.

$520 for 12 months

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    The cry of those who can't accept personal responsibility.

Whose fault it is means little. Look for solutions, regardless of fault.
    The "solutions" as you put it are very limited when its someone elses fault though other than staying off the road completely or buying a bigger vehicle e.g. a 4WD which I have actually done as a result of one of my crashes or staying off the road completely out of fear. Another "solution" would be having those at fault paying higher ACC but no one on here except for me wants that as they either have a history of being at fault or a fear of it.
    Denial is a river in Egypt ain't it?

Thread Information