Thread: Roller Starter

Bike
    1999 Honda VFR800

Roller Starter

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I could buy a Roller Starter for my track bike?

Cheers.

S.

Bike
    1973 TZ350A
    What sort are you after? I got rollers you put under the wheels of a vehicle, to start the bike.
    Sharing, its for people who can't afford to buy their own!

Bike
    1999 Honda VFR800
    Looking for a an electric ramp roller starter which you roll the rear wheel onto and start the bike with.

Gotta 2 stroke but get sick of push starting at the track.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by V4-Junkie View Post
    Looking for a an electric ramp roller starter which you roll the rear wheel onto and start the bike with.

Gotta 2 stroke but get sick of push starting at the track.

Barry Smith makes nice ones just outside Melbourne. http://barrysmithbook.com.au/content...contactus.html

BUT, I will strongly say that I am very wary of them. They generally spin the wheel up so fast you blow through the period where you can feel you have or are developing a problem with your bike. a 2 stroke that suddenly becomes hard to start is one that has a hidden problem. Either ign or trapped ring/loss of compression. With rollers you never feel this.

The other one I have seen is that they have enough power that they will turn over a flooded engine and you may not always pick it up before you do serious damage. Bent con rod at best or as I saw in Aussie this year, bent con rod became broken con rod, band sawed the whole motor. Cases and barrel destroyed. Crank as well. Make grown men cry.

I'll admit they I use them on occasion, but my recommendation is toughen up. a 2 stroke is usually easier to push than a four stroke. If your 2 stroke is hard to start, sort out why, unless you have some big arse single, as they are just hard outright! I have a bunch of niggly, piston port TZ's in the garage, and don't own a roller despite one of my knees being shitbox.

Bike
    1999 Honda VFR800
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    Barry Smith makes nice ones just outside Melbourne. http://barrysmithbook.com.au/content...contactus.html

BUT, I will strongly say that I am very wary of them. They generally spin the wheel up so fast you blow through the period where you can feel you have or are developing a problem with your bike. a 2 stroke that suddenly becomes hard to start is one that has a hidden problem. Either ign or trapped ring/loss of compression. With rollers you never feel this.

The other one I have seen is that they have enough power that they will turn over a flooded engine and you may not always pick it up before you do serious damage. Bent con rod at best or as I saw in Aussie this year, bent con rod became broken con rod, band sawed the whole motor. Cases and barrel destroyed. Crank as well. Make grown men cry.

I'll admit they I use them on occasion, but my recommendation is toughen up. a 2 stroke is usually easier to push than a four stroke. If your 2 stroke is hard to start, sort out why, unless you have some big arse single, as they are just hard outright! I have a bunch of niggly, piston port TZ's in the garage, and don't own a roller despite one of my knees being shitbox.
    Sweet. Thanks for the wise words of wisdom. Real nuggets there.

Only RS250s I have so easy to push. Guess I'm getting lazy in my old age!

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by V4-Junkie View Post
    Sweet. Thanks for the wise words of wisdom. Real nuggets there.

Only RS250s I have so easy to push. Guess I'm getting lazy in my old age!
    Aprilia? Reedvalves, make for even easier!

Yeah, when you see a very experienced tuner and ex racer with an engine cut in half, makes you think twice....

Thread Information