Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ACC - Born Again Riders Cassina Free

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    Motorcycle licenses should expire every year, and need to be renewed with the ACC levy imposed at that time.

That would increase the cost of having a motorcycle license to ~$650 a year, but the upshot would be multiple bikes in the garage without having to faff around with regos, and no increase even on the current costs if you owned just the one bike.

Also, it would mean that the rider was paying ACC regardless of which bike they happened to be riding, including bikes they don't own themselves.

But apparently that's too hard for reasons unknown.
    I can see your point here, but not sure many will agree with your solution

The rego dodging invalidates insurance and some of the policies will exclude payment for theft too

Has to be a (many) fairer solution(s)
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post

The rego dodging invalidates insurance
    :
    No it doesn't

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    No it doesn't
    100% Correct.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    No it doesn't
    If your bike is stolen from your private property and you don't have a rego, that's fine and it fully covered. If my bike is on the public highway and I have no wof and or rego, then my insurance company says that I won't be covered. I phoned up and asked.

Best check your own policy's, to be sure

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    If your bike is stolen from your private property and you don't have a rego, that's fine and it fully covered. If my bike is on the public highway and I have no wof and or rego, then my insurance company says that I won't be covered. I phoned up and asked.

Best check your own policy's, to be sure
    Better name and shame them then.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    KTM
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    I got the impression that he meant a fee each year for your licence to be valid, rather than a re-sit.
    yeah just the fee to re validate the license, not sitting the test again - do it online.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    yeah just the fee to re validate the license, not sitting the test again - do it online.
    my bad, shoulda read it better, would save me money given that i have more than one bike but would cost a lot of people more.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Could work, one rider/ driver rego payment (rather than current bike and car rego) with the added licence revalidation (which should be no cost as only a puter formality to change a date once set up), should save the govt a lot of time and paper and stickers as it does with current farce, enable a yearly collect for coffers (most likely more than they currently get now with all the unrego'd bikes about, or on hold), and a chance to annually update all drivers/riders with current rode code changes (which is lacking) or driver/ rider reminders/ safety tips, a re- test if deemed necessary?
    Lose your licence for being a dick then you lose the rego plus penalty, perhaps be an incentive to behave on the roads? Indeed be quite happy to pay current rego fee just once for the 7 vehicles I currently juggle about with the money grab, and on holds. My favourite bike is always the one I'm riding today, and the cost of that chosen mode of transport, is priceless.
    Last edited by granstar; 21st May 2018 at 20:13. Reason: Free- free, cassina Free
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    KTM
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    my bad, shoulda read it better, would save me money given that i have more than one bike but would cost a lot of people more.
    Nah man, what i'm saying is you simply roll up the current rego system and add it to the cost of renewing your motorcycle license annually.

So, currently you pay $50 odd bucks every 5 years to extend the expiry on your full license, and $520 for a full year of rego on a 650cc + bike

Instead of those two fees, i'd suggest your MC license expire every year, and to renew it would cost you a flat $650 fee. This would cover your license fee and 'rego' on your bike/s, because the rego is then attached to you as a rider, as opposed to a specific bike.

That way, if you lend your bike to someone, you would assume they would have a license and also be paying the fee. similarly you could have 6 bikes in the garage, and even if every single one of them was out on the road, each individual rider would have also been paying into ACC as a result of the $650 annual fee. however if the bike isn't being ridden it's not costing you rego fees just to have it in the garage (as no one is riding it)

Bike
    2023 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
    The concept is interesting, at least you're trying to think outside of the box. But there are a few issues with your calculations.
    1. You only need to renew your licence every 10 years at present.
    2. It only costs $43.90 to renew, so that's only $4.39 each year averaged out.
    3. Your maths was wrong there. If you're paying $519.87 per year for 601cc+ rego, you should only pay $524.26 per year to not be stung under your proposal, if you only own one 601cc+ motorbike.
    4. What about those of us who intentionally choose to buy a sub-600cc bike, specifically to be in the $405.71 per year rego bracket (still ridiculously expensive, btw)? We're also disadvantaged financially even more by your proposal. And those of us in this group are often already struggling financially (If I wasn't struggling financially there's no way I'd be riding a cheap sub-600cc bike), so adding an extra annual cost burden of an extra nearly-$250 per annum cost of running a small, supposedly economical, motorbike, just won't fly.
    5. Reissuing a drivers licence entails getting a new photo, which requires a trip into an AA or VTNZ, etc. This is already a hassle to do every 10 years. So it can't be done online, unless you waive the requirement for a new photo. But then as the years go by, the point of it being a form of PHOTO ID becomes less useful if the photo isn't kept up to date at least every 10 years.

I agree the current system of rolling ACC costs up into the cost of registering a motorbike or car isn't working great for many of the reasons already listed. The idea of it being "user pays" but completely ignoring users such as rugby players or bicycle riders etc, and effectively making us as motorcycle riders pay a portion of their ACC injuries. And the problem of those with multiple cars and motorbikes having to pay multiple times for the same ACC fees is a big problem.

How about something where your registration fee is adjusted depending on how many vehicles are registered under your name? So motorcycle 1 costs the same as it currently does, but motorcycle 2 costs just the rego without the ACC component, which is less than $30!!! and motorcycle 3 the same, etc. Now I realise people will take advantage of this, ie, husband registers his bike, his son's bike, his wife's bike, all under his own name to avoid them each paying the high fee for motorcycle 1 each under each of their names, instead having motorcycles 1, 2, and 3 all under his name; but I think it's still a better idea than keeping the status quo of people who legitimately own multiple bike's paying ACC multiple times. And it won't unfairly disadvantage people who only own 1 small motorbike.

Thread Information