Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: ACC - Born Again Riders

  1. #1
    Join Date
    19th November 2007 - 13:39
    Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Location
    All over NZ
    Posts
    2,350

    ACC - Born Again Riders

    OK ACC have increased registration to a super ridiculous amount

    Couple of points I recently have had on my mind

    We now (me and wifey) pretty much register our bikes for 6 months of the year - Oct to March.

    Going back on the bike in October are we Born again Riders because I sure as hell know for a month or so it takes some time to get that "feel" of the road.

    So in effect (2 fold) ACC are getting less money from registration and putting people on the road that haven't ridden for some time.

    Is this Smart? Of course it isn't

    Whats your thoughts?

    Is there any way of making them know their stupidy? If you actually agree with the above scenario I have pointed out?


    Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

    Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    9,083
    Blog Entries
    8
    Costs what it costs. Tried a 3 month lay over some years back and missed a few weeks of the best winter riding weather ever (stupidly warm for the month). So since I've just paid.

    Can't say a short lay-off makes any difference to mu riding, just take it easy the first one out.

    ACC and the gov don't give two F's about us.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    5th December 2009 - 12:32
    Bike
    Black as
    Location
    Te Mosgiel
    Posts
    2,747
    Double post.

    Like my rego

  4. #4
    Join Date
    5th December 2009 - 12:32
    Bike
    Black as
    Location
    Te Mosgiel
    Posts
    2,747
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    As for a gap without riding its those that give up for many years rather than months that are most likely to come to grief.
    Another golden nugget you made up or pulled out of your arse?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    20th January 2008 - 17:29
    Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Location
    Auckland NZ's Epicentre
    Posts
    3,555
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I have said it many times before on here and I will say it again in that ACC needs to set fees based on the "at fault" history of the motorist and not their mode of transport. Too many on here are too frightened of being at fault to want to see things change though despite the fact there may actually be fewer accidents if people had a fear of being at fault.

    As for a gap without riding its those that give up for many years rather than months that are most likely to come to grief.
    Your wasted here on KB, but the good news is there are jobs going at ACC.

    I can't imagine making huge changes to motorcycling is harder than posting on the internet.

    https://careers.acc.co.nz/



    Murray, buy a 1978 bike and ride around all year for $50 Rego/ACC, will be 79's next year and very usable large Japs in about 3 more.
    ( I suspect like in the UK they may try and cap it)
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    18th February 2005 - 10:16
    Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I have said it many times before on here and I will say it again in that ACC needs to set fees based on the "at fault" history of the motorist and not their mode of transport..
    The whole underlying premise of ACC though is that its a 'no fault' system. If you start looking at 'at fault' you are going to a completely different system and one that probably allows people to sue each other which was what ACC took away.
    Grow older but never grow up

  7. #7
    Join Date
    18th February 2005 - 10:16
    Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    OK ACC have increased registration to a super ridiculous amount
    Expensive for sure (just paid mine a couple of weeks ago) but the total ACC take from bikers is just a portion of what out injuries cost them so is justified ... unfortunately.

    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    If you actually agree with the above scenario I have pointed out?
    I'd really like to know what portion of bike regos are put on hold and for how long. It would give a bit more meaning to this conversation. Hmmm. I guess you could also say that if a significant number of people are putting their rego on hold over winter would that also lower the accident rate through people not riding in more dangerous conditions so less accidents may eventually lead to lower ACC levies?

    I've always ridden through winter but now that I don't need a bike for the daily commute, who knows ... perhaps next winter I may put mine on hold.
    Grow older but never grow up

  8. #8
    Join Date
    19th January 2013 - 16:56
    Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Location
    The Isthmus
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I have said it many times before on here and I will say it again in that ACC needs to set fees based on the "at fault" history of the motorist and not their mode of transport...

    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    The whole underlying premise of ACC though is that its a 'no fault' system. If you start looking at 'at fault' you are going to a completely different system and one that probably allows people to sue each other which was what ACC took away.
    +1

    What this man said ^

  9. #9
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    9,083
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    The whole underlying premise of ACC though is that its a 'no fault' system. If you start looking at 'at fault' you are going to a completely different system and one that probably allows people to sue each other which was what ACC took away.

    Cassina struggles with basic concepts like this. There is a degree of user pays within ACC regarding their levies - motorcycle rego is a example.

    As you say the alternative is a USA type of sue everyone system. The winners then are lawyers. I find the sue sue sue culture in the USA nuts - go to a restaurant for a hot curry, get the shits the next day and miss work, sue the restaurant for your loss, restaurant sues the chef for making the curry too strong, chef sues the supplier of the curry he used .......

  10. #10
    Join Date
    19th January 2013 - 16:56
    Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Location
    The Isthmus
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    There have been many articles written stating what I said is fact if you don't believe me. You sound like a MLC rider yourself to be discrediting my comment and I guess you will end up learning the hard way unless you maybe go to riding school.
    Which articles? If you want to sound credible then you need to link to peer-reviewed papers or articles written by people who have insight into road/traffic crashes.

    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Please explain where I have advocated a right to sue? However safer roads would no doubt result if a fear of losing ones house was the punishment for a serious "at fault" crash.
    Perhaps you need to go and live in the USA where that scenario is always a possibility...

    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Making car registration so high that people can only afford to register them for 3 - 6 months would lower the cost of car accidents for ACC too. But as long as most voters remain car drivers that would be a risky political move.
    You "register" a vehicle once when it's first put on the road - ignoring the re-registration of vehicles that have been de-registered. What you do each year is "licence" your vehicle, this allows you to use it on a public road.

    Now, how does raising the cost of "licencing" lower the cost of car accidents?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    28th January 2015 - 16:17
    Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Location
    Lower Hutt
    Posts
    1,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    OK ACC have increased registration to a super ridiculous amount

    Couple of points I recently have had on my mind

    We now (me and wifey) pretty much register our bikes for 6 months of the year - Oct to March.

    Going back on the bike in October are we Born again Riders because I sure as hell know for a month or so it takes some time to get that "feel" of the road.

    So in effect (2 fold) ACC are getting less money from registration and putting people on the road that haven't ridden for some time.

    Is this Smart? Of course it isn't

    Whats your thoughts?

    Is there any way of making them know their stupidy? If you actually agree with the above scenario I have pointed out?
    Yep I have the same thing - even taking a break from riding for two weeks is enough to notice a period of awkwardness when starting again. If I've been off the bike for over a month then the first three to four hours of a decent day ride will be settling back into it.

    I don't think that ACC are going to listen or backtrack. Bikers have been trying to push for change for a while now. This is probably best treated as a situation where it's up to an individual rider to manage things for themselves.

    There are options. Run dark (and take the risks), get into dirt riding maybe, buy a classic rego bike and run that for 6 months of the year, go track only over the winter? As another poster mentioned we are just about to get into the classic rego era when the bikes suddenly got quite useable. Of course there's what you're doing, just take it easy on the first few rides until you're back into it again.

    Or even just pony up the readies and accept that rego per ride is getting a bit high over winter and it's shit but just keep going. If it keeps you sharp and you avoid a crash because of that then it might be cheaper... maybe a lot cheaper. Crash repairs that you don't have to pay, insurance premium rises that you also don't have to pay, lost income etc etc... aside from the injury consequences of course.

    Just my 2c.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    5th December 2009 - 12:32
    Bike
    Black as
    Location
    Te Mosgiel
    Posts
    2,747
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    There have been many articles written stating what I said is fact if you dont believe me.
    I don't believe you and I don't believe those articles exist.

    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    You sound like a MLC rider yourself to be discrediting my comment and I guess you will end up learning the hard way unless you maybe go to riding school.
    Ha ha, riding school. I knew it would be that, group riding or multi-vehicle overtakes, and the obvious "I read somewhere" statement to start it off. Pretty much all of your broken record contributions to KB can be discredited.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    5th December 2009 - 12:32
    Bike
    Black as
    Location
    Te Mosgiel
    Posts
    2,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Is this Smart? Of course it isn't

    Whats your thoughts?
    Not only that, but I might consider that my soft old 1000cc costs too much to cover so swap down to a 600 purely for ACC reasons. So I go from a soft and cuddly CBX for example to a GSZXR6-RRRR or something. While the engine size may be smaller the actual risk of me putting it in the bushes is higher. For me the risk is probably greater on a 600cc sports bike than it is on a 1000cc plodder. That was the nutshell of my pointless ACC submission.

    The risk between rider A and rider B is different for a multitude of reasons. I understand how ACC works but to me it would be better if rider A (or B) was priced out of it due to actual risk rather than have the other one subsidise them. A bit like increasing cassina's levy due to the all the crashes she has been involved in which paints a picture of her needing ACC sooner rather than later.

    As I type I can see that might be exactly what car drivers think of motorcyclists so we are on a hiding to nothing. And whoever mentioned how good things are in the UK has clearly never tried to get bike insurance over there.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    2nd August 2008 - 08:57
    Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    2,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Whats your thoughts?
    I pay for 12 months rego every 12 months, I want to be able to ride whenever I decide to ride.

    But: over the last years I've bought a car and sold a bike and traded a bike for another bike. I now own 1 car & 1 bike, a year ago I owned 2 bikes. I wouldn't mind owning 2 bikes, but it is just too expensive on the rego. A car costs me around $440 less per year to rego than a bike. I don't want to own no bikes though, I like riding and moto-camping and touring the country on a motorcycle. I go to the Cold Kiwi each year and to the Burt Munro as well. Next year I want to take 5 weeks off work so I can do a longer South Island trip - planning on doing bike week, Vincent rally & Burt Munro.

    I also think that it is unfair that motorcyclists pay more because of the costs to ACC of motorcycling. Other groups that also have a higher risks are not similarly charged. Cyclists don't pay any more ACC levy because they cycle. There is no huge ACC levy on ladders, but cunts fall off them and cost ACC heaps. I can go and buy all the power tools I want from a hardware store, no ACC levies on them regardless of ACC claims from muppets that don't know how to keep their fingers out the way. If you play club-level rugby there is no ACC levy, unless you play a sport at a professional level it is all free of ACC charges. In fact, for a recreational activity, what else other than motorcycling is charged by ACC? Yeah, it feels kinda like we (and we alone) are being picked on!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    19th January 2013 - 16:56
    Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Location
    The Isthmus
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    It was another poster that said the fact that many riders can not afford to register for a whole year would lower the number of motorcycle ACC claims due to only riding for part of the year. Now applying the same high cost e.g. $550 to car registration would mean many cars would only be registered for part of the year would it not resulting in fewer car crashes too.
    Wrong...

    just more unlicenced SUVs on the road...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •