Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is it with Sat navs in fucking Windows?

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Inside the visor?

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Meh we use ours in the usual fashion of sticking it inside the window... For shits and giggles on boring trips up country we request the fastest route, the shortest or the easiest and its taken us on some merry jaunts about the place...

To the best of my knowledge its location has not caused me to run over anyone but to be fair I don't check the front of the car after every trip.

Yes I love a good paper map but I like my GPS... Its my little friend....

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    For shits and giggles on boring trips up country we request the fastest route, the shortest or the easiest and its taken us on some merry jaunts about the place...
    Have done the same myself, although when in England it tried to send us down a walking track as the shortest route between two towns, didn't work out so well.

Setting it to avoid tolls is a great way of seeing parts of the countryside you wouldn't otherwise, nothing wrong with short deviations off the motorway past quaint old country pubs......
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Came across a guy in the Otorohanga Subway on the weekend with a map book.....
    Like an actual paper map book, was out of date too didn't show the Ngaruawahia bypass or anything... He was wanting to know if he should go via Nga on the way to Auckland to skip Hamilton.

A fucking map book I ask you. He would have only been in his 50's too so surely young enough to operate a smart phone and that witchcraft we all know as Google Maps. I watched him go into the parking lot just in case he was on horse and cart.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    Have done the same myself, although when in England it tried to send us down a walking track as the shortest route between two towns, didn't work out so well.

Setting it to avoid tolls is a great way of seeing parts of the countryside you wouldn't otherwise, nothing wrong with short deviations off the motorway past quaint old country pubs......
    Yes a bit of judgement is required. All while it bleats about U turns and re calculations...

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    Like an actual paper map book, was out of date too didn't show the Ngaruawahia bypass or anything... He was wanting to know if he should go via Nga on the way to Auckland to skip Hamilton.

A fucking map book I ask you. He would have only been in his 50's too so surely young enough to operate a smart phone and that witchcraft we all know as Google Maps. I watched him go into the parking lot just in case he was on horse and cart.
    I have a few of Dads old paper touring maps of the 50's and 60's. They used to be free at gas stations etc. Good for a giggle

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    As I stated to the cop that stopped me the other day: "I consider it unsafe to ride at less than 15kph faster than the general speed of the traffic."

It would have been nice to have received some kind of response or acknowledgement along with the ticket

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries

What like a Brethren or those 'Mercan dudes that put up barns with ropes.
    A-Martians?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    What like a Brethren or those 'Mercan dudes that put up barns with ropes.
    A-Martians?
    The Exclusive Bretheren actually have taken on technology over the past 10 years or so and want all the latest stuff so they can tell their mates. I've done work in a few of their businesses and they always want the freshest latest and greatest set up. Apparently the guy that said it was evil said its all good and to embrace it so they're rushing to get all the gear.

I think he may have been a Cantabrian tbh but didn't want to ask in case he mistook me for one and asked me what school I went to.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Drove round the UK last year specifically with a map book rather than GPS. Allows you to look at the route, plan your own alternatives and detours and pick up places that you would not see on a 4" screen. Knew we were only ten miles from ABC so went for a detour. Knew if we went left we would see XYZ, knew something else was just over there. Knew next village with a canal through it and possible pub would be that way so went that way. The only reason I would use GPS is if I wanted an arrival ETA but we were on holiday.

Really could not see the point when on holiday. You could miss so much.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Drove round the UK last year specifically with a map book rather than GPS. Allows you to look at the route, plan your own alternatives and detours and pick up places that you would not see on a 4" screen. Knew we were only ten miles from ABC so went for a detour. Knew if we went left we would see XYZ, knew something else was just over there. Knew next village with a canal through it and possible pub would be that way so went that way. The only reason I would use GPS is if I wanted an arrival ETA but we were on holiday.

Really could not see the point when on holiday. You could miss so much.
    I agree here with regards to learning your way around, back a few years ago when I moved to Chch I was using my GPS to get everywhere and wasn't actually focusing on remembering the best way to get from A-B. So I ditched the GPS and instead used my laptop to look up a location on googlemaps (was before the GPS bit kicked off big time) and then drive there by memory.

When I am overseas though it's usually Montreal and everything is in French, so I maps the fuck out of it

Thread Information