Thread: Bent Handlebars - Options?

Bike
    '18 Duke 390

Bent Handlebars - Options?

Hi all,

Newbie here. Picked up a GN250 with my mate and we've been practicing for a little bit before sitting our Basic Handling.

My mate took a tumble riding at about 50km and the bike came off second best. The bike is a little scratched and unfortunately the handlebars have been bent too. What's the recommended thing to do here? Get a new set or is it fairly straight forward to bend them back into place? They're not severely bent, just means it doesn't ride quite straight.

Any advice/help appreciated.

Cheers

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Hi all,

Newbie here. Picked up a GN250 with my mate and we've been practicing for a little bit before sitting our Basic Handling.

My mate took a tumble riding at about 50km and the bike came off second best. The bike is a little scratched and unfortunately the handlebars have been bent too. What's the recommended thing to do here? Get a new set or is it fairly straight forward to bend them back into place? They're not severely bent, just means it doesn't ride quite straight.

Any advice/help appreciated.

Cheers
    Going in the right direction helps quite a bit. Get someone who knows what they are doing to replace them and check the bike over

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    Going in the right direction helps quite a bit. Get someone who knows what they are doing to replace them and check the bike over
    +1, it sounds like you should check that the forks haven't twisted in the triple trees as well. Not the end of the world but it really should be checked.

Bending the handlebars back isn't a good idea. Every bend will weaken the metal and finally it'll snap. GN250 handlebars should be as cheap as chips anyway.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    New ones ....as suggested.
    GN bars are a bit bent back/wheelbarrow style from memory...?
    You may find that straighter handlebars are easier on wrist....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Street Triple R
    when you sell it remember it was the previous owner who dropped it.

If they are steel you can put a big fuck off bit of steel on them and bend them back ---- but then you'll always wonder if you crinkled the tube and so forth. They will never be as strong and will never feel right either. Easier for $30 to replace them.

by the way, if the bike isnt going straight, you might have managed to twist the triple clamps relative to one another and kinked the front wheel out of line. its an easy enough fix but you need to let someone who knows stuff about things have a look at it if that is your concern.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    '18 Duke 390
    Thanks all. I'll get the bike checked over and get them replaced. Appreciate it.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    +1, it sounds like you should check that the forks haven't twisted in the triple trees as well. Not the end of the world but it really should be checked.

Bending the handlebars back isn't a good idea. Every bend will weaken the metal and finally it'll snap. GN250 handlebars should be as cheap as chips anyway.
    Wot 'e said.

I bent bars every time I raced for a bit there. Never assume it is just a bent bar. In my case it was more often a misalignment of the triple tree and/or forks.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Since your mate dropped it, he's probably desperate to make amends.

Bike
    '18 Duke 390
    Ok so, next question - Where does one get this fixed in Auckland?

Called up Holeshot on Barry's Point Road and they don't look at Bikes pre 2000. They gave me someone to contact that they refer the pre 2000 bikes to, however the poor dude is going to be in hospital for another month!

Anyone know a guy? Or can recommend somewhere thats done work for them in the past?

Cheers

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Called up Holeshot on Barry's Point Road and they don't look at Bikes pre 2000
    Yer fucken what...?!? You sure???
    If that's the case then steer well clear of them with anything, they're obviously just a pack of cunts

unbelievable

No pre-2000? I'm stunned

Go to any OTHER mechanic...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Street Triple R

Called up Holeshot on Barry's Point Road and they don't look at Bikes pre 2000. They gave me someone to contact that they refer the pre 2000 bikes to, however the poor dude is going to be in hospital for another month!

Anyone know a guy? Or can recommend somewhere thats done work for them in the past?

Cheers
    Go to your local Ripco or tool store. buy a small socket set, a #2 point Philips head (or #2 JIS) and get stuck into it. You'll be fine, probably.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    New ones ....as suggested.
    GN bars are a bit bent back/wheelbarrow style from memory...?
    You may find that straighter handlebars are easier on wrist....
    Yeah - the road lice .. sorry the GNs came out with quite a few different bars - see if you can find some of the standard flatter ones ..

Cheers
    Any Suzuki dealer would be a good start ... there's got to be more than one ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Thread Information